April 19, 2014 | 1608 users online

Sunscreen - Neutrogena - Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 70

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2009 3:59:00 PM More reviews by luvactuallyisallarnd

Ouchieeeeeee my eyes burn! I applied this to my face. I sweat-->sunblock drips into my eyes-->HUGE ouchie. Other than that, the sunblock is weightless and blends easily into my skin. However, I don't think I will repurchase. i've had other sunblocks drip into my eyes, and this one burns the most.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/17/2009 11:47:00 PM More reviews by xBrazenx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is my staple sunscreen for times when I am going to be outside for an extended period of time (beach, camping, etc). I'm very, very fair with light eyes and red hair--basically, I turn red if I'm in the sun for 15 minutes without sunscreen.

I have worn this camping, at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk, to the beach in San Diego, on train ride in the direct sun, etc. and have yet to suffer a burn or even darker freckles! It's not greasy (as the name implies) and absorbs quickly. I DO reapply this once per hour, which is why I think I've had so much success with this product (no sunscreen will work well if you don't reapply while you're out!).

That said, I do feel like it's expensive and you don't get enough product. The bottle is 3 ounces...and, well, it takes about one ounce to cover your entire body. Nevertheless, until I find something that comparable and less expensive, I'll continue to buy this for my summertime trips!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2009 7:58:00 PM More reviews by miomega

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I agree with so many others on this board about this product. I bought it rather inexpensively at a warehouse store and thought it would be a great improvement over the SPF 55 that I bought last year. Boy, was I disappointed! It never blends in and leaves a white cast-- unlike the SPF 55 which was great on my dark skin. It's going back tomorrow.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/8/2009 3:15:00 AM More reviews by PeanutButterFly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Not the greatest sunscreen I've ever tried (which I guess may be saying something considering that I haven't tried that many sunscreens) but not nearly as bad as it could have been.

It's not matte at all, I'm a bit shocked they even have the audacity to call it "ultra sheer dry touch" because there's definitely a slightly oily/greasy feeling/look going on. My skin does naturally have a tendency to get oily, but wearing this sunscreen makes me need to blot about once every hour or two to get rid of the shine.

It feels a bit heavy as well, and my Tazorac sensitive skin did experience a bit of stinging at first although this went away quite soon. The product felt a bit sticky as well, during application and after.

It also has a somewhat sunscreen-y smell as well imo. At first it smells a bit like apples? but after maybe ten seconds of rubbing it into your skin it takes on that familiar sunscreen scent.

That being said, it's not a completely awful product. Although greasy (or perhaps but greasier compared to my usual) it doesn't emphasize flakes or have a whitecast (at least ime, although to be fair I'm quite fair) and although slightly sticky, my skin did feel soft and it doesn't break me out. I could see someone with dry skin liking this, but I'd be a bit more careful about suggesting it to someone with combination/oily skin types.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/2/2009 1:10:00 PM More reviews by hzhz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've purchased this sunscreen again and again. I don't think there is any effective sunscreen that will leave your skin completely matte but this comes pretty close. I have not had any break outs as a result of using this product. I've been using this everyday for a year now and don't see myself switching to anything else in the future.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2009 9:18:00 PM More reviews by juicycouture

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

ugh, do not use this product if you are of medium/dark skintone. it leaves a VERY noticeable white cast on your face/body that never fades/absorbs into your skin. also since it doesn't absorb into your skin it leaves you looking greasy. if you are in the market for something with a high spf try the ultra sheer dry-touch in spf 55. that one absorbs into your skin and doesn't leave you looking ashen.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/20/2009 11:37:00 PM More reviews by peacheygal

I have been using this product for 3 years now, and I still love it even though I'm also using the new Garnier skin renew Anit-sun-damage lotion on workdays to get rid of the old damages (which is highly recommended). With the Ultra Sheer you do have to be careful not to rub too hard around the eye area because it does sting a little sometimes, so if you have sensitive skin this product might not be great for you. I love it because it stopped sun spots appearing on my face and I don't have to worry about reapplying even when I'm out in the sun all day.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2009 10:11:00 PM More reviews by erynnia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Kind of puzzled by the reviews on this--not that people can't have different opinions from me, but I'm not experiencing the same texture problems people describe--it's definitely not like glue or like paste. I wonder if there've been multiple formulations? I definitely do have the SPF70. It's not oily or greasy or paste-like, but you do have to work quickly as it absorbs/dries fast (hence the name, I guess). It leaves a definitely workable texture for makeup application and I don't see lingering whiteness.

It does not break me out, although I am not prone to breakouts in the first place. Most importantly to me, it does not trigger my rosacea or irritate my easily flushed skin in any way.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2009 2:40:00 PM More reviews by regretia

I can't figure out why others don't seem to like this product.
It's not too greasy (in fact very matte), it doesn't break me out, and it's SPF 70. The smell doesn't have that quintessential sunscreen odor. What more can I ask for?

The packaging:
is neat. Unlike other products, I never have to wipe off crusted bits of sunscreen. Big plus. It's gross when I have to clean my skincare products. The tube is as long as my hand and about 21/2" wide. It's lasted me for 6 months now, and I'm only halfway through.

The price:
is somewhere around $8-$9, I believe? Not dirt cheap, but not steep for a good sunscreen. I am stingy, though, so don't base your decision on me. :D

I will repurchase this product as soon as I run out.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/23/2009 2:39:00 AM More reviews by merryjane81

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

After using it for over a week, I would recommend this. Please read all of the review as to why I would.

The first day I used it, it had no ill effect on my skin UNTIL I was in the shower, trying to clean this off my face. I used my usual foaming cleanser. When I rubbed my eye area (with my eyes closed, of course!), my eyelids were burning and stinging like crazy! I seriously thought my eyelids were going to burn off or something. I have never had this type of reaction in the last 5+ years, using the foaming cleanser.

The second day, the stinging wasn't so bad, but it still stung when washing my face. The third day onward, I did not feel anything while washing my face.

Also, I noticed that when I apply my foundation after applying the sunblock, there was a bit of stinging during the first week. I don't have it anymore.

I guess in order to NOT have these problems, you just have to let your skin get used to the sunblock.

Some reviewers complain about the consistency/color once it's on their face and/or the way it makes your make up look after all their makeup is applied. If you wait about 15 minutes to let the sunblock absorb into your skin and let it "dry," you won't have any of those problems. In fact, I think my make up looks better when I use the sunblock.

I really think that it's worth it for anyone to endure the one week of stinging and give it the 15 minute "drying" period (even if it means they have to wake up 15 min earlier) because of the high SPF. SPF of 70 means that it actually blocks over 98% of the harmful UV rays.

**UPDATE**
I started to get tiny pimples on my face, and LOTS of them -- I would have new pimples at night that I didn't have in the morning. I got pimples in places I've never gotten pimples before.

As soon as I stopped using it, my skin started to clear up. I guess my skin just couldn't tolerate it, although this product is suppose to me non-comedogenic. So I will still give it 2 lippies, just because this product is a good UVA/B blocker. My husband still uses it, and he's perfectly fine.