October 25, 2014 | 1495 users online

Sunscreen - Peter Thomas Roth - Instant Mineral SPF 30

rated 4 of 5 on 7/15/2008 11:34:00 AM More reviews by Jenna6686

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I can't give this 5 lippies, because I have no definite proof that this is covering my skin completely and protecting every little bit of it from the sun. I never sunburn anyway, so I can't use that as my method for measuring its effectiveness. But I'd really like to think that it does protect me completely, even though it's just a powder that sits on my face. I don't use this as my only sunscreen- after applying regular lotion sunscreen in the mornings I keep it in my purse to use for later in the day without messing up my makeup. It does absorb oil like a regular powder, so that's an added plus. I don't really like the fact though that you can see so much of the product rise up into the air when you apply it. It feels like a waste and it also can get into my nose/eyes if I'm not careful. Like others have written, the brush is also a bit stiff, which, for the price you pay for this, is kind of unfair. But I'm willing to put up with this because it's so convenient and wonderful in the others ways I described. Just take the cap off, apply, pull the bottom down, put the cap back on, push it back up and it fits in your purse. What can be more convenient than that?

rated 3 of 5 on 7/5/2008 11:17:00 PM More reviews by Dinahout

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was really excited when I received my order for PTR Instant Mineral SPF 30 from drugstore.com. I hoped it would help for quick SS touchups or if I had to run out to do an errand. I liked the convenience of the brush-on packaging. Upon trying it out, I broke out in a rash that day - lots of itchy, little bumps all over my face, more concentrated on my cheeks and forehead. I usually don't have too much of a problem with SS, but I'm not sure what ingredient made me break out. I'm taking extra doses of Benadryl to calm my skin down, but it's taking a while for my skin to heal and clear. I will be returning this back to drugstore.com.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2008 12:57:00 AM More reviews by diogi

I am a big fan of this instant sunscreen both for myself and my family. We use a regular sunscreen for swimming and days in the sun but this is the PERFECT product to keep in your purse for days when you realize you forgot to apply sunscreen or you know it's wearing off. It's INSTANT protection from the sun so it has saved my kids from countless sunburns - even my husband will put it on if there's nothing else. We don't count on it to be waterproof or exercise proof - just an emergency fix. Both my kids have one in their backpacks for school as they are very fair. They don't balk at this because it's not greasy and it's easy to put on. Lots of other moms have bought it for their families after seeing how well it works for ours. We haven't had a sunburn a long time thanks to this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2008 5:10:00 PM More reviews by spikeyli

I have extremely sensitive and dry skin, so needless to say all the lotion/cream sunscreens I've tried broke me out and using mineral powders just accentuate the dryness of my skin. So far for sun protection I've been relying on my liquid makeup that has SPF, but the protection is just not enough. Finally I broke down and got this powder sunscreen, even though it's powder but I figure I rather look older than have skin cancer. Surprisingly, this did not settle into the fine lines on my face nor did it make my already desert dry skin even dryer. I did not notice any glow or sheen like the others, but it could be because of my dry skin. So far no sunburns yet, and I love the fact that I can just dust this on and go.

The powder is not clear but is more flesh color and blends with the user's skin tone. I've turn two of my girlfriends onto this and they both have different skin color than mine (one is much fairer and one is much darker). The powder simply picks up the user's color and blends in. I was impressed. Also I noticed the powder provides light to moderate coverage for my skin, so now I don't even need to wear foundation. I just use moisturizer, this sunscreen, and some blush and I'm good to go!

I only give 4 lippie because of the horrible brush design. I had the opposite problem of most of the ladies on this board. I can't get the rotten powder to come out! I kept shaking it and only a tiny little bit came out. Also the brush isn't the softest and it scratched my face a bit. So I unscrewed the top (the end where you pull to get the brush in) and dumped all the powder into a used powder sifter. Problem solved.

Another complaint is I can never tell exactly if I put on enough, because the powder is so sheer. So I applied very generously, what's the worst that could happen? I don't get a sunburn.

So overall, I will definitely buy again. I just wish the price was lower because for the amount of powder, $30 is a bit steep.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2008 10:51:00 PM More reviews by jello_1955

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used this for the first time today and love it. If you have very oily skin like I do, you will really like this product. It does a fantastic job of keeping the oil at bay. I blotted as usual during the middle of the day and was shocked on how little oil was on the paper.

With that said, I don't really know how good it is as a sunscreen but if Bare Escentuals can make the claim it has SPF properties and is endorsed by some medical organization, I would think this product would work as well.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2008 12:00:00 PM More reviews by MiaGator

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love this product. I was on the fence until I read the instructions and realized you can pull the bristles back into the brush. I dump it into my makeup box every morning after using, and it always has the perfect amount of powder ready for use the next day - no shaking needed. I keep it in my makeup box (not my purse) so it's not jostled - I haven't had any issues with it dispensing too much product. Also, I'm an NW15, and it doesn't tint my skin - leaves a nice, silky finish that even has lasted through my half-hour runs! I can drip sweat, blot with a towel, and there's still a nice finish.

I have extremely oily skin, and unlike most sunscreens (even the crap "dry touch" ones) this doesn't feel thick and greasy - just a light powder which does not at all change the look or finish of my makeup. I wear this over a Clinique mattifier and Nars blush, and I'm less shiny than ever even in hot, humid Houston. I question the effectiveness of a light disting of powder that doesn't necessarily "cling" to the skin like a cream, but I'm pleased to find a sunscreen that doesn't make me a grease slick, mix with my moisturizer or burn my eyes.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2008 5:38:00 AM More reviews by gracie97

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Have used this for about a week now. I've tried other powder sunscreens (Paula, Colorescience, some mineral makeups with SPF such as L'Oreal). I like this one best because it is SO SHEER: It doesn't seem to make my wrinkles more noticeable as many powders do or give my skin a dull finish. It does impart a slight sheen, but I think that is flattering on my skin.

The brush is much better than the scratchy brushes on the Colorescience equivalent, and, with a little practice, one learns to tap out just tiny bits of powder in order to not produce big wasteful clouds of it. Just wish that it came in a cannister or shaker (at a lower price).

My current sunscreen strategy is Paula's 'weightless' sunscreen SPF 30 spray topped with this powder after it dries for a while. Assuming the combination results in a very lasting SPF ~40 that's light, unscented, comfortable, and doesn't run into my eyes. (I'm thinking the mineral layer somewhat protects the chemical layer from breakdown.)

Having read the last review of this stuff, however, I'm trying to research the safety of the ingredients. Didn't find anything too alarming at Environmental Working Group's website -- lots of 'suspected' but almost everything is suspected there. (The sunscreens EWG rates as safest are all non-micronized mineral.) Left a question at Paula's website about it -- if she provides an answer, I'll post it here.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2008 3:08:00 PM More reviews by Jocky80

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This didn't work for me, or I didn't like the result of using it. In no ways is this a bad product, it is just my personally point. I always do a background check on a product before buying it, like reading the Inci-list, see what others say about it here and last what Paula Begoun has to say. Overall was this HG material for me, lightweight, absorbing, spf30 and non-comedocenic.
The things that I do like about it is that it goes on fast, like the brush! Also it doubles as a mineral powder, it does absorb the oiliness from my T-zone. Hasn't clogged my pores (big plus!).
The things that I don't like is the GLOW! Putting it over Everyday intense mineral makeup makes it glow(and looking shiny and oily). Almost BE glow. It works better using over a Talc based powder foundation that is matte. The you get a more "normal" glow, but for me I don't like any glow. I always start to glow around lunch, and I avoid anything that may make it worse.
The minerals in this sunscreen are microlized (emailed PTR and asked them), that may be a health concern. Here in the EU they are not allowed to be used in sunscreens doe to risks that the penetrate the skin and with UV contact the can damage the cells and DNA. Zinc oxide isn't allowed to be used as an UVA protector in sunscreens either here in EU. but they are testing it so time will tell if it safe to use.

It contains ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Titanium Dioxide 15%, Zinc Oxide 10%. INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Mica, Silica, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Iron Oxides

The silica and corn starch are absorbents so the will absorb oiliness. Mica gives a glow, and gives a smooth feeling to it. Vitamin C and E are good antioxidants, they will help with UV protection and damage. Vitamin A is a good anti-ageing/antioxidant ingredient and also good for acne/ big pores and help improve skin structure. Willow bark extract is similar to salicylic acid and may have some anti-inflammatory benefits for skin.

7 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/18/2008 12:30:00 PM More reviews by jennifer36

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Big Mess! After reading the reviews on here I figured this stuff sounded great. It arrived in the mail. The clear cap was already full of powder. I opened it up and put it on. POWDER EVERYWHERE! I took out a good brush and wiped the EXCESS away. I have skin on the dry side and large pores. I think this might be great for someone oily. This did nothing to hide my pores and my skin looked even drier, so I would not be able to just use this. Maybe I just got a messed up one. Anyway, I am paying the postage to return mine. 3 stars for great idea!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2008 3:06:00 AM More reviews by uggslippers

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this! It's improved the quality of my skin; and it offers great sun protection. I just apply this over my moisturizer in the morning and I'm set to go. It's very easy to use-it doesn't take a lot of time to apply. You just shake and apply. I'm very happy with this product and will repurchase.