September 18, 2014 | 1629 users online

Powder - Merle Norman - Luxiva Purely Mineral Makeup

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2009 6:07:00 PM More reviews by zimmeju

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

At long last I finally found a mineral makeup that doesn't accentuate my large pores. It is so much better than the BE mineral makeup that I have been using for the past 4 years and you get 4 times as much for around the same price. It has great color selection and feels great on the skin. I wish I could give it 6 lipsticks!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2009 5:22:00 PM More reviews by HeidiJ

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

WOW! I found a good color match, L20 (for reference I am MAC NC20), for my fair skintone. I use a Japonesque kabuki brush to apply, and this gives great, buildable coverage. I put on a sheer layer over Merle Norman's Aqua Balance Makeup and it lasts all day, does not itch, and does not dry me out or give me oily spots. My skin is smooth and looks flawless! I highly recommend going to a MN spa near you, they will let you try and most likely give a free sample as well.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/30/2009 10:00:00 AM More reviews by Belann

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This product looked amazing on my face! It maked me look alive.
I know it does not have irritants in it but my face began itching like crazy. I thought it might be caused by something else so I used it for a week. By them I felt like scrathcing my face off and had started making tiny marks on my face. Stopped using it and gave my face a couple of weeks to heal. Then I tried it again and the same thing happened. I use clean brushes and other mineral makeup so I cannot figure it out.
If it did not irritate my face, I would give it a 5!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2009 8:22:00 PM More reviews by julieolivia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Fantastic product. I have been more than satisfied with the last three MMU's I have tried, but recently ran out of Garden Botanika, remembered I had samples of the Merle Norman I never really tried, simply because it looked glittery in the little jar. But wow. First, no bismuth - I can't tolerate bismuth. Nevertheless goes on with a lovely smooth creaminess and leaves my complexions looking moist and fresh. It is not matte, it definently has a glow thing going on, but it is not shiny or unnatural, just - fresh and healthy looking. Coverage is light to medium, I can still see my freckles, but also some uneven-ness to skin up close, but it is worth the trade off for the gorgeous texture it gives my skin. The color I had was too rich for me (ML40) so I went to the local Merle Norman today and after much patience on behalf of the store clerk (lovely, lovely woman) including taking me out into the parking lot to check in natural light (!!!- last time someone did that??? Never!) and wiping me down three times, we got the right shade (I also picked up a luxiva ultra powder for when I want more coverage). I really like this foundation and the jar is huge. No learning curve for application, does not go on powdery or get into pores. I have tried them all and this one is now running neck and neck with Garden Botanika, but I note, ML is all minerals, GB not so much, so if you want minerals, nothing but the minerals, ML is your winner.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2009 3:29:00 PM More reviews by jrp050680

Absolutely best bang for your buck. Package is much larger than other mineral brands and costs the same or less. Great coverage, feels light, my skin doesn't dry out during the day when I wear it. Huge plus is that when you go to a MN studio you get to try the shades instead of just guessing like you have to with some brands.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2009 10:45:00 AM More reviews by ahc010

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Silver, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My skin hates most foundations. It flakes if it's not happy - think peeling after a sunburn - or scaly like eczema - reaction depends on the product. Yuk. I'm 62 and my skin has a mind of it's own at this stage in my life.

As always, a good moisturizer is needed. Just make sure you use one that's stable - one that doesn't generate an oily residue to allow makeup to "migrate" and show every pore.

This makeup has been great. I had used Sweet Scents Mineral Foundation for years and was extremely happy with their products. My foundation color was discontinued. I panicked. My skin color is fair with a cool undertone. Any visible yellow just makes me look ill - so most colors out there are just too yellow or orangey for me.

The lightest color in this line, L10, is almost an exact match to my skin tone. It's build-able, very sheer and only one step above total matte (I hesitate to call it a "glow"). I apply with a Nars #19 brush - easy application. A really fine-mist spray of skin conditioner to "set" the application seems to give me the best look.

With only 8 colors in their line, you may have to find a patient MN rep who will work with you to blend their colors to get a perfect tone. More expensive to have to buy more than one color, but well worth it to find a perfect shade.

This product lasts - no touch up needed. Is it cheap? - no. Is it worth the price? - definitely yes. There are no fillers here - you're buying pure color. Way to many product lines throw in stuff I just don't want sitting on my skin all day.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/9/2009 11:57:00 PM More reviews by lunarg0dd3ss

First of all, I want to start off saying that this is one of the only mineral powders I have tried before. The texture of the powder is very fine, and a little bit really does go a long way. And $25 for that huge of a box is an amazing deal! I love how you can build up the coverage to how you like it. (I use it for medium coverage). Dab on some concealer, swirl on the product, and your skin looks very healthy and natural. As compared to my old liquid foundation made-up look, this powder looked like I wasn't wearing makeup at all but gave my skin a nice even glow. There's no fragrance at all to the powder and it doesn't clog pores either. This is definitely a much healthier alternative to those pore-clogging liquid foundations.

One of the things I wasn't thrilled about the product was the limited color selections. I am very fair-skinned, with yellow undertones. And even the lightest shade they had was a bit too pinkish for me. Another thing is that you now have to buy your own kabuki brush, whereas before I believe a brush already came as a part of the package. Not a big deal if I didn't know about it before. But you guys can imagine being a little disappointed going into the store expecting to also get a brush and being told differently by the sales lady. Lastly, I felt that I had to diffuse and blend the powder a lot or else it made my pores stand out. I am told this is one of the better powders for concealing pores.... Maybe I just didn't swirl the brush around enough?? Also, I have really oily skin, so I found that I have to brush over baby powder (so much healthier than loose powder!) on top or my face will look shiny in about 2 hrs or so.

Overall, I highly recommend this product if you're looking for the best bang for your buck. Great product quality (not so much package quality b/c the box looks and feels a little cheap) and decent coverage. Best part about it is that you don't look like you're wearing makeup at all! People just naturally think you are born with good skin =)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2009 10:47:00 PM More reviews by laceylogan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

HG,HG,HG,HG...Now that I have that out of the way...let's begin...lol! I am from one of those small towns where there has been a MN Store for 115 years, and that's what you wear, that's what your Momma wears, and that's what your Momma's Momma wears, well I decided I would be a rebel and venture into the "Big City" for BE Mineral powder...Huge Mistake! B.E. made my NON-EXISTENT pores appear HUGE! Who knew that this little gem was hiding behind the hideous packaging at my MN store! I worked at a the local MN store for a few summers and fell in love with several other products, but this was released after I worked there and I am so fortunate to have stumbled upon it! This product gives AMAZING coverage, like many my MAC fix powder can be a little cakey especially in the summer months, but this product applies effortlessly and covers amazingly without feeling heavy or cakey! I will continue to use this product as long as it is available!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/22/2009 10:57:00 PM More reviews by britt22tx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I heard great things about this product so I thought I would try it...First of all this product is not for people who have oily skin. I tried the L20 and I really wanted to like it but it made my pores look big and made me VERY shiny looking. They say this product has a glow, but its nothing but shimmer and shine! I will def not purchase this product again. I hope you have better luck with it than I did.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2009 6:32:00 PM More reviews by carmendavey

I read the reviews here before I purchased. This is a GREAT foundation. I have acne prone skin and NEED medium coverage but I hate the heavy feel of traditional foundation. This foundation is buildable and your skin shows through; but in a good way. feels good going on and stays put with no touch ups during the day. i've tried BE, pur minerals and many others. I just had to share this with anyone looking for a superior mineral foundation. the ingredient deck is great too, no extras to irritate the skin. GIVE THIS ONE A TRY :-)