Paula's Choice Hydralight Moisture-Infusing Lotion

3.4

Not tested on animals

Water, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate (skin-conditioning agent), Cyclopentasiloxane (silicone/skin-conditioning agent), Butylene Glycol (water-binding agent), Dimethicone (silicone/skin-conditioning agent), Propylene Glycol Isoceteth-3 Acetate (water-binding agent), Squalane (emollient), Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2 (gel-based thickener), Potassium Cetyl Phosphate (emulsifier), Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate (thickeners), Cholesterol (skin-conditioning agent), Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract (anti-irritant), Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract, Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Fruit Extract (antioxidants), Sodium Hyaluronate (water-binding agent), Dimethicone Crosspolymer (suspending agent), Glycerin (water-binding agent), Superoxide Dismutase (antioxidant), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Sodium PCA, Phytosphingosine (water-binding agents), Magnesium Aluminum Silicate (thickener), Cetyl Alcohol (emollient), Xanthan Gum (thickener), Laureth-4 (emulsifier), Laureth-23 (solubolizing agent), Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Benzoic Acid, Sorbic Acid (preservatives).

on 4/10/2008 11:08:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I just repurchased this, the one ounce bottle lasted me almost a year. Still, it is a bit over priced for Paula's stuff and her philosophy of not over charging for skin care. Maybe this stuff has some super expensive ingredients? Regardless, it is my holy grail of moisturizers. I don't notice a smell at all! If there is a scent, it's natural and not some fake perfume which is gross and so bad for skin. I use this at night and all I need during the day is Paula's 2% bha liquid under my foundation and powder.

editing April 23 2008 So, I paid attention to the scent and yes it's there, it's from one of the natural extracts in the lotion. I notice it when I put it on and that's it. So not an issue for me - love this stuff! Upped my rating to 5.

I was not really into any PC moisturizer (devoted to her cleanser/tonor/exfollients, only), but when this came out I decided to try it. I really like this.

Cons: The packaging kinda sucks and it squirts out awkwardly; the price feels a little steep although it's actually on par with some of the excellent stuff coming out from Olay. (To my dismay, I can't use the acclaimed Regenerist products without breaking out). I also don't like that I have to mail order this, and I can't get a good sense on when I'm running low on the product.

BUT, this is a moisturizer that performs. It hydrates me without making me oily, or causing me to break out. It doesn't sit on the skin, and the texture feels amazing going on, even though at first it seems like it might be too light. This is perfect for under my heavy sunscreen, and it is a perfect summer nighttime moisturizer. In winter I will probably need something just a little more potent, but this has solved my problem of finding a good moisturizer.

on 3/18/2008 3:16:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I tried a sample..it felt like it worked well..but I am sensitive to smells and it smelled like sweaty gym socks to me...rather intolerable..so I will not be buying.

on 3/10/2008 7:03:00 PM

I love this moisturizer. It's light, moisturizes well, and works great under my makeup. I do however wish the price were lower. It's worth it however, and I will repurchase again.

Btw, I never understood people's complaints about smell. Not just with this product, but with all skincare items. The reason people complain about the smell in this moisturizer is because of the pomegranate extract.

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

I bought a sample of his and like many other reviews on here I too cant get past the smell. Its a terrible smell. Even if it worked nice I cant get past the smell to use it again.

on 2/16/2008 5:49:00 PM

I just tried a sample of this moisturizer, along with several other PC products. I love it for around my eyes. It is light enough to use under makeup, even heavier concealers (for after those late nights!). Plus it's smooth without being greasy, and does not get cakey or pill up when you put stuff on top of it, which is my main gripe with most eye-area moisturizers! I love Clinique's All About Eyes, but you can't use it under foundation.

Compared to other department store brand products, I don't think $18.95 is "expensive" at all.

on 2/11/2008 10:24:00 AM

I bought some samples of this moisturizer and so far I love it. It's got a thin, watery consistency that I really like. It leaves me with a semi-matte finish and takes away any tight, dry feeling my face has after washing. I have tried other moisturizers, but even in sub-zero winter weather these left me feeling greasy. I did do a round of Accutane so I'm not breaking out as much, but most moisturizers and foundations leave me with little clogged pores and zits on my forehead. Hydralight hasn't broken me out so far and isn't irritating at all. It has no detectable fragrance and soaks in completely. I will be buying a bottle of this after my taxes are done because it's a bit pricey. Much better than any drugstore purchase I've ever made.

on 2/9/2008 1:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I agree with the other reviewers who do not know what all the fuss is about regarding the "odors"--maybe we're just used to everything smelling perfumey that when a beauty product doesn't we think something is wrong with it? It's fragrance-free so I would guess all you're really smelling is your own hands! I do agree that $19 for the tiny bottle is overpriced but since my skin is so sensitive and this moisturizer is so perfect, I'll shell out the $19 every other month. It completely sinks in on my clean face in the a.m. (under my MD total protector sunscreen) and over my MD hydrapure serum at night. I had been using a thicker cream at night to try to look more hydrated in the morning, but when I ran out and used this instead I realized I could skip the heavier cream and stick to this as my only moisturizer. (Big plus) I only wish I could buy this at stores instead of online everytime!

Since PC discontinued the Completely Non-Greasy Moisturizer (without sunscreen), the HydraLight lotion is the only non-sunscreen moisturizer PC carries that works for my skin. HydraLight has two cons: The clear cap that goes over the pump cracks quite easily, and the smell of the lotion.

HydraLight has many more pros, however: The weird smell of the lotion fades quickly. It has a nice lightweight texture and feel, and doesn't leave my skin greasy feeling. It actually moisturizes my winter-dried-out skin beautifully. And most important of all, after using one full bottle of it, I can say that HydraLight does not make my skin break out! Woohoo!

I have fussy acne-prone skin. For example, last year I changed my makeup, within the same brand, and I broke out somethin' fierce, even though there was barely any difference between the two makeups (both fragrance free, same liquid consistency and all that); I went back to my old makeup, and my skin returned to its flawless self within a month. For that reason, I will continue to buy HydraLight, because I know it won't make my acne flare up, while other lotions, however similar they may be, could make my face break out, and that thought terrifies me. I'll pay the $19 gladly for that reassurance of the HydraLight.

on 1/29/2008 4:19:00 PM

I really like this as my non SPF moisturizer. It doesn't break out the skin and is gentle! Love it.