Paula's Choice Hydralight Moisture-Infusing Lotion

3.4

Not tested on animals

Water, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate (skin-conditioning agent), Cyclopentasiloxane (silicone/skin-conditioning agent), Butylene Glycol (water-binding agent), Dimethicone (silicone/skin-conditioning agent), Propylene Glycol Isoceteth-3 Acetate (water-binding agent), Squalane (emollient), Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2 (gel-based thickener), Potassium Cetyl Phosphate (emulsifier), Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate (thickeners), Cholesterol (skin-conditioning agent), Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract (anti-irritant), Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract, Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Fruit Extract (antioxidants), Sodium Hyaluronate (water-binding agent), Dimethicone Crosspolymer (suspending agent), Glycerin (water-binding agent), Superoxide Dismutase (antioxidant), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Sodium PCA, Phytosphingosine (water-binding agents), Magnesium Aluminum Silicate (thickener), Cetyl Alcohol (emollient), Xanthan Gum (thickener), Laureth-4 (emulsifier), Laureth-23 (solubolizing agent), Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Benzoic Acid, Sorbic Acid (preservatives).

on 6/2/2008 9:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I just bought a second bottle of this moisturizer. I like using this moisturizer in the summer under my sunscreen. It doesn't make my face look shiny at the end of the day. I like that it's light, absorbs quickly and have plenty of antioxidants. I let it absorb into my face for several minutes, then put on my physical sunscreen (Solar Sense Clear Zinc, Advanced Sun Protection, For Face SPF 45).

on 4/30/2008 10:09:00 PM

generally this is a pretty nice moisturiser, although it is true to its name and is VERY light.
i dont have dry skin at all, tend to lean towards combination which can get oily in parts.
when applied, i feel as though i have literally done nothing to my face and actually i find i tend to actually get dry which is really strange.
one plus, i dont break out with this, but i think i need something a little more moisturising.
oh and the full size of this is TINY TINY TINY !! not worth the $$$$$
back to the drawing board !!!

on 4/19/2008 9:01:00 PM

So far I've only used a sample of this, but I'm planning to order a full-size soon. Have to agree with others here that the smell is, uh, unusual and rather strong, but it does fade after a few minutes (or maybe I get used to it). Bottom line is it seems to be just enough moisture without breaking me out, which is significant for me. I also tried a sample of the skin balancing moisture gel, which had no odor and felt fabulous going on. But I woke up to annoying little whiteheads around my mouth and I suspect it was the culprit. So I'm going to risk the odd smell and go with this.

on 4/18/2008 12:22:00 PM

I tried it only from a sample and it a very weird texture. I'm not sure how it is in the full size bottle, but in the sample it broke down and separated into a clear liquid and slimy white water stuff. I applied it to my face and it seemed very greasy and didn't absorb quite as fast as a lotion should, and it left my face shiny. Very strange since this is a lotion and both, the hydrating cream and the skin recovery cream, left my face quite matte and were easily absorbed. I don't know if I got a bad sample but this one was sure bad and if the lotion is really like that, there is no way I will purchase a full size.
UPDATE: I bumped it up to 5 lippies because I got a second sample and it was nothing like the first one. I guess the first one was defected. The second sample had no separation, had nice white solution that easily absorbed and left my skin silky smooth. Quite moisturizing and paired with PC cleanser for normal to dry skin makes a perfect combination. My skin is usually dehydrated, but this combo makes it very soft and moisturized. I was considering purchasing the hydrating cream, but I think as summer approaches, this lotion is all I need. Can't comment on the packaging quality since I only tried samples. Although it does look quite weird on the website. I wish it came in a tube.
One thing though: it has a very chemical scent, more so then the usual "unscented" version.

on 4/10/2008 11:08:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I just repurchased this, the one ounce bottle lasted me almost a year. Still, it is a bit over priced for Paula's stuff and her philosophy of not over charging for skin care. Maybe this stuff has some super expensive ingredients? Regardless, it is my holy grail of moisturizers. I don't notice a smell at all! If there is a scent, it's natural and not some fake perfume which is gross and so bad for skin. I use this at night and all I need during the day is Paula's 2% bha liquid under my foundation and powder.

editing April 23 2008 So, I paid attention to the scent and yes it's there, it's from one of the natural extracts in the lotion. I notice it when I put it on and that's it. So not an issue for me - love this stuff! Upped my rating to 5.

I was not really into any PC moisturizer (devoted to her cleanser/tonor/exfollients, only), but when this came out I decided to try it. I really like this.

Cons: The packaging kinda sucks and it squirts out awkwardly; the price feels a little steep although it's actually on par with some of the excellent stuff coming out from Olay. (To my dismay, I can't use the acclaimed Regenerist products without breaking out). I also don't like that I have to mail order this, and I can't get a good sense on when I'm running low on the product.

BUT, this is a moisturizer that performs. It hydrates me without making me oily, or causing me to break out. It doesn't sit on the skin, and the texture feels amazing going on, even though at first it seems like it might be too light. This is perfect for under my heavy sunscreen, and it is a perfect summer nighttime moisturizer. In winter I will probably need something just a little more potent, but this has solved my problem of finding a good moisturizer.

on 3/18/2008 3:16:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I tried a sample..it felt like it worked well..but I am sensitive to smells and it smelled like sweaty gym socks to me...rather intolerable..so I will not be buying.

on 3/10/2008 7:03:00 PM

I love this moisturizer. It's light, moisturizes well, and works great under my makeup. I do however wish the price were lower. It's worth it however, and I will repurchase again.

Btw, I never understood people's complaints about smell. Not just with this product, but with all skincare items. The reason people complain about the smell in this moisturizer is because of the pomegranate extract.

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

I bought a sample of his and like many other reviews on here I too cant get past the smell. Its a terrible smell. Even if it worked nice I cant get past the smell to use it again.

on 2/16/2008 5:49:00 PM

I just tried a sample of this moisturizer, along with several other PC products. I love it for around my eyes. It is light enough to use under makeup, even heavier concealers (for after those late nights!). Plus it's smooth without being greasy, and does not get cakey or pill up when you put stuff on top of it, which is my main gripe with most eye-area moisturizers! I love Clinique's All About Eyes, but you can't use it under foundation.

Compared to other department store brand products, I don't think $18.95 is "expensive" at all.