July 23, 2014 | 1680 users online

Deodorants - Crystal - Crystal Body Deodorant Stick

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2010 10:51:00 PM More reviews by scopingforyou

ALL PROS: I use antiperspirant at night and then shower in morning and then apply deodorant on very dry skin in morning. Using something like this, I don't get near as much of that weird persistent film on my skin that is so hard to get off with regular anti-perspirant.

CONS: It can get stuck in the container when you roll it "up."

APPLICATION TIPS: You need to moisten your skin first.

ALTERNATES: I prefer the unscented deodorant roll-on by Kiss My Face called Liquid Rock.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2010 9:43:00 AM More reviews by Dawn_Sierra

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This works really well as a deodorant though I find myself reapplying it on very hot days (to be fair I'd do this with my regular deodorant also.) My husband loves it also and we both found that after you've been using it a little while sometimes you can even skip a day.

Bear in mind this is a deodorant though and NOT an antiperspirant. If your working out or its very hot out you will sweat. Sweating is totally natural though and its your body's way of cooling you down and eliminating toxins.

One thing I really liked about this product is I don't have a white cakey mess under my arms or on my clothes and I don't have those, ever so embarrassing, tiny white 'deodorant balls' you can sometimes get from regular deodorant. Ew. Also there's no smell to clash with my perfume.

Tip: The solid last much much longer so it's a great value and good for your underarms but the spray is great for the rest of your body (chest, feet, etc.) Also I've been told its good for acne since its antibacterial.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2010 2:45:00 PM More reviews by lizzy666

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

First, I'm not into "green" products. I didn't switch because of the cancer scare tactics or whatever else they say about traditional antipersperants, I just don't like smelling. Regular deodorant/antipersperant never worked well for me. They would prevent most sweating, but any sweat that broke through would mix with the product, producing a worse smell than natural body odor. I've tried some that made me smell like pot or burning tires. Awful! So, since antipersperants never really gave me all the protection I wanted, I decided to focus on smell. I LOVE this stick. I use at least 20 swipes per arm, I want to make sure I'm covered. It lasts all day. And even though I sweat, its not as horrible as sweating with a traditional tacky deodorant where you stain your shirts, feel sticky, and smell worse. Actually, the main reason for switching is because I was sick of bleaching my shirts!! Antipersperant ruins all of my t-shirts, any color any brand. Some brand new Gap shirts were destroyed within hours!!So with this I soak them, but I don't ruin them lol. A+, will use forever.
P.S. I don't know if this is accurate, but I'm pretty sure I always felt like I sweat more than usual because my old deodorants would lock in that moisture and make it worse! I find with the crystal, I sweat minimally (or normally actually lol). I only sweat now when I'm outdoors in the heat and active, not like the old days when I'd have wet arm pits just sitting at my desk. I'm dry most of the day and don't smell! Also, if this doesn't work for you, check your shirts. I found some of my shirts smelled horrible when mixed with sweat, but my arm pits didn't actually smell.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2010 3:11:00 PM More reviews by ghoo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have come back to this product because I wanted something natural, knowing that I would still sweat, but would control odor better than my Weleda spray. I did find that after wetting it I had to rub it in my pits at least a good 20-30 times to really deposit the crystal in order to truly make a difference in odor protection. If I just swiped it a few times it wouldn't work, so now that I have increased it I have been very happy. I do it really fast and it literally takes about 10-15 seconds, a small price to pay.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2010 2:37:00 AM More reviews by KBaylie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Yes, this product did mask odor. No odor what so ever. Not even the next day. However, it made my underarms itch like crazy and left it extremely irritated. Since using this last year in June, I still have dark underarms, prior to not having dark underarms at all, caused by irritation when I used this product. I'm extremely disappointed because I thought this product was "the one." I gave it a 2/5 because it did mask odor. And the search goes on....

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2010 11:50:00 AM More reviews by rickisyed

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I will be returning this product. I did not like it. I sweat alooooottttttt. I have been using Mitchum for several yrs because nothing on the market, nor prescriptions has worked for me. I have had some several embarrased failed attempts to switch to natural deodorants but still gave crystal a try, its a no go. I rubbed and rubbed away. I never stunk so much in my life.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2010 2:44:00 PM More reviews by tulipsplash

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This review is for the Crystal Body Deodorant that comes in the 5 oz. rock.

MUAers led me to this and I couldn't be more grateful. The scent of most deodorants/antiperspirants makes me want to throw up.

PROS:
*no scent to clash with my shower gels and perfumes
*protects against a little wetness (not much though)
*prevents odor instead of masking it
*doesn't stain clothing
*great for hot and humid climates as it is supposed to be applied to freshly showered, moist armpits (whereas you have to wait until your armpits are bone dry before you can apply most antiperspirants/deodorants or they won't work and sometimes it is hard to dry out in hot, sweaty Texas in the summertime)
*it is not an anti-perspirant, but for whatever reason, I sweat less wearing this
*If I'm particularly nervous and sweat a lot, I will develop an odor, but it is no worse than what I get wearing traditional deo/anti in a similarly sweaty situation.

USAGE TIPS:
*Always apply to freshly showered armpits.
*Always apply generously.
*Consider shaving the night before so that you don't rub salt into shaving knicks (ouch!--or, better yet, get your armpits lasered so that hair is no longer an issue!)

PLEASE NOTE:
*This type of product originates in Asian countries like Thailand (this one is manufactured in LA).
*Asians typically have fewer sweat glands in their armpits (according to Dr. Oz)
*Asians typically have much less body hair (which traps odor)
*Asians typically eat a more plant-based diet and avoid large quantities of beef, milk, cheese, and eggs (which are considered body odor causing foods)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2010 3:05:00 PM More reviews by blackberrypatch

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've used this nearly every day for the past year and I don't think it's gotten any shorter. It definitely holds up for at least 2 days. I apply it after showering, about 5 passes under each arm.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2010 6:35:00 AM More reviews by PrettyL

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This review is for no-name brand deoderant crystal. It's a stick of 100% ammonium alum. I got a cheapie drugstore brand and noticed that some of the more pricey "green" brands sell this stuff for 4-5 times the price, and it's the SAME one ingredient! It's worth reading lables!!

So as other reviewers have mentioned, this works by killing the bacteria in your pits that cause BO, so even when you sweat, you won't stink.

I switched to this from solid anti-perspirant about a year ago and have been loving it so far! I love that it doesn't mark up my clothes with the gross white gummy mess from my old anti-perspirant. That stuff never came off despite scrubbing and all kinds of removers! Ugh.

I apply this just as a I get out of the shower before I dry off, applying for about a full minute to each armpit and making sure to cover the whole surrounding area. If I wait too long and my pits dry, the stick won't glide on, so I just splash on a little extra water to the pit and/or stick. It's a bit more time-consuming than conventional products, but only minimally, and the results are worth the extra minute or two.

My stick comes with a cap, but I just leave it off so the stick can dry after I apply it, and it hasn't started to smell like some reviewers mentioned.

I thought it would be weird to sweat more due to the lack of anti-perspirant ingredients (alumininum etc.), but the fact that there is no more yucky 'gummy' mess from the anti-perspirant film on my skin (and clothes!) means that the sweat can evaporate faster from both. So while there may be a little more sweat at first, my armpits actually feel drier and more comfortable overall with no sticky residue.

I am currently experimenting with adding a little body spray for a bit of fresh scent, because I do miss that a little, especially towards the end of the day. I by no means reek of BO, but wouldn't mind a little extra something pretty in addition to my natural scent. One reviewer mentioned spraying body spray directly on the stick to add scent to the product and disinfect it at the same time. I've done this a few times and it seems to work great.

I'm finding that I do have to shower every day (or at least wash the 'pits thoroughly) in order to feel completely fresh. In the winter I used to shower every other day (if I'm not exercising or working up a sweat, of course!) and would just add a little more anti-perspirant to refreshen, but you can't do that with the crystal, unfortunately. The "second day" feeling isn't horribly stinky or anything, I think the product is still somewhat effective then, just not enough to feel fresh.

I find I can rewear shirts once or twice except in really hot weather if I shower every day and reapply the stick.

I'm definitely going to get my BF the spray version of this for his feet next summer!

I've been using my stick for a year and it's hardly made a dent in the product. At this rate, if it doesn't break it'll last me years! Another plus for a "green" product, less packaging to throw away, and less money spent (mine was about 2). I went through probably 6 conventional deos a year, in comparison.

This will ruin marble, so be careful where you let it sit/drip!

In sum, this is a wonderful EFFECTIVE natural product. If anyone is thinking of switching, make sure you read lots of these reviews to learn about the best ways to apply and get best results.

Update: On HOT summer days, I have to admit that this alone doesn't quite cut it. I layer this (applied right out of the shower) with some generic zinc oxide wound/diaper cream on top, and a spritz of scented body splash, and it's awesome :-D

Update May 2012: I just realized I have been using the same stick for over 3 years and there is still a ton left!!! I am currently layering this with a roll-on zinc oxide deo from Sebamed which contains a tiny amount of scent. This combination is wonderful, no whiffiness at all!

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2010 1:30:00 AM More reviews by anguyent

I have to say this product is a life saver. I sweat a lot and prefer that I not have any underarm funk at all (who doesn't). I actually use this in addition to my regular deoderant and have been doing this for years. It also has lasted about that long too. If you have a sweating/stink (ha!) problem I def would recommend this.