September 21, 2014 | 1912 users online

Deodorants - Crystal - Crystal Body Deodorant Stick

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2010 2:52:00 AM More reviews by halimeade

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I heard about crystal deodorant several years ago from my aunt and cousins, who are big on natural products (and a bit hippie, in a good way). In any case, I immediately wrote this product off because its not an anti-perspirant, and at the time, I really felt that I needed one. I'm a big time sweater, not so much from heat but from social anxiety- the minute I feel uncomfortable, sweat rings galore!

Now that summer weather has arrived in my area, the downsides of conventional deodorant/anti-perspirant have been becoming more obvious to me: burning sensation/bumps under my arms, unpleasant sour odor when it becomes moist, and the fact that it really doesn't work to control sweat that well! I end up with sweat rings whether I wear it or not (and yes I've tried clinical strength, too.) Not to mention the crusty stains it leaves on my shirts. Most of mine have becoming totally ruined over the years.

Fast forward for a couple weeks ago, when the Crystal stick was on sale at Walgreens for $3. So I decided, why not?

Turns out this products work GREAT for body odor. I have no smell at all for almost 24 hours, and even after that its so slight that even I have to stick my nose in my pits to smell it, haha. I apply directly (and liberally) after I get out of the shower, and again in the morning if I showered the night before. Yes, you are going to sweat, but in my case, I find that I sweat no more than I did with anti-perspirant (and maybe even less!) and there is no embarrassing sour odor or burning! And as for clothes, no stains, no smell! NO more discolored crusties! I'm a crystal deodorant convert for life.

I've been using the stick for about two weeks, and I can already tell this thing is going to last FOREVER. The packaging is a bit rickety, but works well for its purpose. Be sure not to let it get turned complete upside down when you apply, or the crystal might fall out, and probably break.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2010 3:50:00 AM More reviews by ladyinsane25

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

LOVE this product. This is one of those things that I used to eye at the drugstore wondering how the heck it works. One day I searched for reviews on MUA and they were pretty good so I decided to buy it. It cost me HK$50 (US$6) for a stick, which is a bit more expensive than conventional DS deos but it is SO WORTH IT. Btw, they even had a mini stick for HK$10 (US$1.5) so I bought that first to try and I was pretty impressed. This is great because it gives you the option of trying a smaller size before buying the whole thing. They also have a spray and roll-on formula.

I've been using mine for over 3 months and it hasn't even dented yet. Basically, you're supposed to wet the stick with a bit of water and then roll on your underarms like any other roll-on. But you MUST ensure that it is properly done - each underarm needs at least 40-50 swipes. The spray/roll on ones sound like more convenient options but they definitely don't work as well as the stick. Still, if you don't have too much of a BO problem you can go for the spray. You WILL sweat with this product. It is NOT an anti-perspirant but the sweat will be odorless if used properly. Sweating is natural and releases toxins from the body so if you use products to stop sweating it is stopping the toxins from being released. I read somewhere that if your sweat smells, it is not the sweat but the bacteria on your underarms. This product effectively stops underarms from smelling and it lasts ALL DAY.

This is a completely natural product. Good for you and good for the environment. I must admit I'm not a fan of the packaging. It's made of very cheap plastic and I'm pretty sure the entire thing will shatter if dropped even once. The lid of mine doesn't seem to close properly either. Still, you get what you pay for. I think with daily use this stick would probably last me AT LEAST a year so that's like paying HK$4 (US$0.5) a MONTH.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/13/2010 11:13:00 PM More reviews by priscillawong

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my HG deodorant! I used to use SpeedStick deodorant/antiperspirant until my boyfriend encouraged me to switch to deodorant only, since antiperspirant is somehow correlated with breast cancer. Prior to Crystal Stick Deodorant, I tried Jason's Tea Tree Deodorant Stick and Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal, but neither worked for me. Then I read reviews on this and gave it a try. I am so pleased with this deodorant! It's kept me odorless for the whole day when used on combination with fragrances. The only thing I don't like is that you have to apply it to clean armpits and you have to moisten it. It's such a hassle! I think I moistened it too much because my crystal actually fell out of the container.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2010 10:51:00 PM More reviews by scopingforyou

ALL PROS: I use antiperspirant at night and then shower in morning and then apply deodorant on very dry skin in morning. Using something like this, I don't get near as much of that weird persistent film on my skin that is so hard to get off with regular anti-perspirant.

CONS: It can get stuck in the container when you roll it "up."

APPLICATION TIPS: You need to moisten your skin first.

ALTERNATES: I prefer the unscented deodorant roll-on by Kiss My Face called Liquid Rock.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2010 9:43:00 AM More reviews by Dawn_Sierra

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This works really well as a deodorant though I find myself reapplying it on very hot days (to be fair I'd do this with my regular deodorant also.) My husband loves it also and we both found that after you've been using it a little while sometimes you can even skip a day.

Bear in mind this is a deodorant though and NOT an antiperspirant. If your working out or its very hot out you will sweat. Sweating is totally natural though and its your body's way of cooling you down and eliminating toxins.

One thing I really liked about this product is I don't have a white cakey mess under my arms or on my clothes and I don't have those, ever so embarrassing, tiny white 'deodorant balls' you can sometimes get from regular deodorant. Ew. Also there's no smell to clash with my perfume.

Tip: The solid last much much longer so it's a great value and good for your underarms but the spray is great for the rest of your body (chest, feet, etc.) Also I've been told its good for acne since its antibacterial.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2010 2:45:00 PM More reviews by lizzy666

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

First, I'm not into "green" products. I didn't switch because of the cancer scare tactics or whatever else they say about traditional antipersperants, I just don't like smelling. Regular deodorant/antipersperant never worked well for me. They would prevent most sweating, but any sweat that broke through would mix with the product, producing a worse smell than natural body odor. I've tried some that made me smell like pot or burning tires. Awful! So, since antipersperants never really gave me all the protection I wanted, I decided to focus on smell. I LOVE this stick. I use at least 20 swipes per arm, I want to make sure I'm covered. It lasts all day. And even though I sweat, its not as horrible as sweating with a traditional tacky deodorant where you stain your shirts, feel sticky, and smell worse. Actually, the main reason for switching is because I was sick of bleaching my shirts!! Antipersperant ruins all of my t-shirts, any color any brand. Some brand new Gap shirts were destroyed within hours!!So with this I soak them, but I don't ruin them lol. A+, will use forever.
P.S. I don't know if this is accurate, but I'm pretty sure I always felt like I sweat more than usual because my old deodorants would lock in that moisture and make it worse! I find with the crystal, I sweat minimally (or normally actually lol). I only sweat now when I'm outdoors in the heat and active, not like the old days when I'd have wet arm pits just sitting at my desk. I'm dry most of the day and don't smell! Also, if this doesn't work for you, check your shirts. I found some of my shirts smelled horrible when mixed with sweat, but my arm pits didn't actually smell.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2010 3:11:00 PM More reviews by ghoo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have come back to this product because I wanted something natural, knowing that I would still sweat, but would control odor better than my Weleda spray. I did find that after wetting it I had to rub it in my pits at least a good 20-30 times to really deposit the crystal in order to truly make a difference in odor protection. If I just swiped it a few times it wouldn't work, so now that I have increased it I have been very happy. I do it really fast and it literally takes about 10-15 seconds, a small price to pay.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2010 2:37:00 AM More reviews by KBaylie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Yes, this product did mask odor. No odor what so ever. Not even the next day. However, it made my underarms itch like crazy and left it extremely irritated. Since using this last year in June, I still have dark underarms, prior to not having dark underarms at all, caused by irritation when I used this product. I'm extremely disappointed because I thought this product was "the one." I gave it a 2/5 because it did mask odor. And the search goes on....

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2010 11:50:00 AM More reviews by rickisyed

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I will be returning this product. I did not like it. I sweat alooooottttttt. I have been using Mitchum for several yrs because nothing on the market, nor prescriptions has worked for me. I have had some several embarrased failed attempts to switch to natural deodorants but still gave crystal a try, its a no go. I rubbed and rubbed away. I never stunk so much in my life.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2010 2:44:00 PM More reviews by tulipsplash

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This review is for the Crystal Body Deodorant that comes in the 5 oz. rock.

MUAers led me to this and I couldn't be more grateful. The scent of most deodorants/antiperspirants makes me want to throw up.

PROS:
*no scent to clash with my shower gels and perfumes
*protects against a little wetness (not much though)
*prevents odor instead of masking it
*doesn't stain clothing
*great for hot and humid climates as it is supposed to be applied to freshly showered, moist armpits (whereas you have to wait until your armpits are bone dry before you can apply most antiperspirants/deodorants or they won't work and sometimes it is hard to dry out in hot, sweaty Texas in the summertime)
*it is not an anti-perspirant, but for whatever reason, I sweat less wearing this
*If I'm particularly nervous and sweat a lot, I will develop an odor, but it is no worse than what I get wearing traditional deo/anti in a similarly sweaty situation.

USAGE TIPS:
*Always apply to freshly showered armpits.
*Always apply generously.
*Consider shaving the night before so that you don't rub salt into shaving knicks (ouch!--or, better yet, get your armpits lasered so that hair is no longer an issue!)

PLEASE NOTE:
*This type of product originates in Asian countries like Thailand (this one is manufactured in LA).
*Asians typically have fewer sweat glands in their armpits (according to Dr. Oz)
*Asians typically have much less body hair (which traps odor)
*Asians typically eat a more plant-based diet and avoid large quantities of beef, milk, cheese, and eggs (which are considered body odor causing foods)