April 18, 2014 | 891 users online

Other - Ulta - Ulta- whole store

rated 1 of 5 on 10/16/2010 8:36:00 PM More reviews by AvaRoses

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

After multiple trips I really don't enjoy Ulta. I use some drugstore products, but not many and for me it's easier to purchase them at any of the 3 drugstores right next to my house. Also, the drug stores usually have sales that don't require coupons.

The only high end products they offer that I use are for haircare (I have gotten a great price on some of my Joico products with Ulta), Mario Badescu or Urban Decay's eye liner. Of course you can't use their coupons on those. It's simply easier for me to get my eyeliner from Sephora - since they offer other high end products I like. I can get Mario from Nordstroms or on-line.

I also find it odd to shop while women are having their hair done in the middle of the store. It just seems odd and I feel as if I'm invading their space by shopping. The sales assistants seem below average. I just don't find the shopping experience to be fun, enjoyable or relaxing. I like to grab my products and go at Ulta and don't feel the need to linger.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/30/2010 9:22:00 PM More reviews by trautman

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

So I need to rant... I have been an devoted Ulta shopper for some time, as Sephora and MAC are 30 miles away. RecentlyI have returned a couple of products that didn't work out for me. The last one being a clinique product that I returned and hadn't opened. So with the receipt in hand I was going to exchange it for a benefit product, but the store didn't have it in stock. So the manager( yes the employees aren't even trusted to do a simple return! Geez) informed me because my ulta rewards points were in the negative, she could only give me store credit. I didn't want store credit...I wanted my money back to spend at MAC. So I mentioned to her if I had not had a rewards card to begin with there would be no record of any negative points. She agreed! Told me there was nothing she could do, and proceeded to ask me for my address on the cash voucher. You comin to my house...I asked! Why do they need my address? She said it's for our corporate office, but they don't use it! Freakin ridiculous!!! Everytime I go in Sephora they give me a samples and a bonus. Never has Ulta given me any kind of gift or reward. They are a joke and I hope they go bankrupt. I can get all the drugstore stuff for cheaper in target, and I will drive the 30 min to go to Sephora where they obviously appreciate my business! Good bye Ulta!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/4/2010 8:59:00 PM More reviews by dancerchickadee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

Hmmmm, I'm really confused by all the negative reviews about Ulta. I can't go very often because the nearest one is about 3 hours away. I really like Ulta, they have the cosmetics and hair products I can't get at home. Like my LaCoupe deep conditioner. I've always had a good experience, and no SA has been snotty. I love Ultaa! :D

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2010 10:40:00 PM More reviews by lovecoma

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Woah, what's with the Ulta hate?

The only time I've had a problem with them was back during their rare sale where they let you use coupons on High End items also. I found it unfair that a select few shoppers were sent physical coupons to use in store and the rest had to buy online to get the discount. I was confused and asked one of the associates about it and I admit she did get kind of snotty, basically telling me only customers who spent alot of money there were deserving of said coupon. That miffed me for a bit but was the only bad time I've had.

Just this week, I headed to Ulta with a $3.50 off $10 coupon to buy some Physician's Formula mineral foundation, which is, in my opinion, pricey for drugstore. It's $13.99 at Ulta. But I lucked out and got the last one that still had a vendors coupon for $4 off. And they let me use both. So I got the foundation for about $6.50, which is awesome for Physician's Formula products.

I've also never had a problem returning/exchanging. I have super sensitive skin and alot of things react to me. They always take things back, with receipt of course. I haven't tried without; I keep my receipts knowing there's the possibility it won't work.

Oh, in the negative column - they keep products FAR to long. They've had the same items in clearance for over a year at mine. And not changed the price. Many look to have been opened and used. That's gross to me. I could maybe see someone paying a dollar or two for something they can tell had been opened but they seem to cut off the clearance around five bucks, which to me is to much to risk someone else's germs. Ew.

And I do have to agree with those saying STEER CLEAR OF THE "SALON". I got my eyebrows done there 1 time because it had been a while and they were having a sale. I think it was all salon services only $5 or something. So the setup was very professional for the brow station but the lady doing it got way to close for my taste and did a horrible job. One side was almost bare. Thankfully it was the side I wear my bangs pushed to. She was also far to rough and it was one of the few times my brows swelled and turned red post-wax. But she kindly asked if I wanted concealer put on the red parts. *eyeroll* AND! If I'd paid full price, it would have been $18. And she was there when they rang me up so I felt like I had to tip anyway. I gave a very small one though. It looked so bad.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2010 12:52:00 AM More reviews by rossjen

Since an Ulta opened roughly two years ago in my area, I have been going there pretty much exclusively to buy whatever I need beauty-wise (with the exception of Target and health food stores). It has been a great store in meeting most of my needs.
Let me preface this by saying that I pretty much like to be left to my own devices when I am shopping for makeup or anything else. Stores like Sephora intimidate me to no end with the staff walking around, so I prefer Ulta's environment. For the most part, the sales associates have not bothered me or been exceptionally pushy, except on a couple of occasions. I have only been to one store in my area, so I don't know if experiences will differ. When I have needed help with finding something, the staff have been obliging.
I really like the coupons they offer. It does save me money when I am buying the basics (I usually stick to the drugstore end of the store), and it is probably the one thing that keeps me coming back. I can understand the frustration that others have about not being able to use them on the higher-end brands, so that is something to be wary of.
The major point of frustration for me has been the store website. I find it most frustrating to just check my information and update things such as my address. For whatever reason, it just seems incredibly hard to do. I have never ordered anything online because of this. Awhile back, I wanted to learn more about the rewards program connected to the Club Card, and asked a sales associate how you could check up on the points you had accumulated. The answer: There was no way to check your status on the website, but you had to call someone to do it for you. Really? Why so difficult? In the end, it is no great loss for me, since I do not spend a significant amount of money to probably even qualify for any gifts anyway. If you are someone who does accumulate a lot of points though, you may or may not like this aspect, depending.
In summary, I will wind up frequenting the store solely for the coupon deals and the selection of brands that are difficult to find elsewhere, such as NYX.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/9/2010 10:47:00 PM More reviews by CSIfangirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just want to say something about the coupon issue; if you have a problem with not being able to use it on what you want, then buy your prestige cosmetics somewhere else and don't pitch a fit about it. Plain and simple. I've seen grown women literally throw temper tantrums because of this. You think Ulta's just doing it because they just want to make your life worse?

The prestige companies like BE and Smashbox, etc. want to make as much money as they can off of what they sell and in order for Ulta to carry those brands in the store, they're not allowed to be discounted. It's just the harsh reality. The prestige brands don't want to cheapen their products. If you want discounts on BareMinerals, then start writing angry letters to Leslie Blodgett and get mad at her. Why do think Sephora doesn't even offer coupons? I agree that the customer service is below average, but the coupon situation is something that's not going to change just because people disagree with it. I'm sure customers have been up in arms about it for years. Ulta has been around since 1990 and they're still going strong. So, to those of you who are boycotting due to the coupon issue, have fun with that. They're not going to let you use coupons on prestige.

Cosmetic companies want money, plain and simple. And they don't want to discount their products. I'm not defending the company for their poor business practices, I'm just trying to get people to understand the reasoning behind the coupon exclusions.

If anyone has any honest questions about things like coupons, I'd love to enlighten you. Anything to try and help customers understand things. I don't get tired of explaining it, honestly. I don't get upset when people try to argue with me; I understand they want to save money. The fact of the matter is, if you want to save money, then you're going to have to use the drugstore products or find a cheaper replacement for things you like because you're not going to find coupons for your BareMinerals or other brands. That's the way the cosmetic companies want it; we live in a capitalist country where companies are free to charge what they want for things, no matter how outrageous the price may be.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2010 11:31:00 PM More reviews by Therealslayergrrl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love Ulta. They are pretty new to my area. Maybe 2 years? I love that they sell HE as well as drugstore items. All of the associates I have ever dealt with have been kind and courteous. I've never had a problem with them following me around.

I also love how they always have coupons. They take those as well as manufacturer coupons combined. I usually end up saving a lot of money.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2010 9:10:00 PM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

I only went to Ulta for NYX products. In the future I'll probably just order online from discounted websites. My over all experience with Ulta has been horrendous.

Lets begin by describing the associates: stuck up. If I don't dress up to the "nines", wave money or a designer purse in their face, or walk in and head to the high end side; I get ignored and treated like dirt. I tried going to the high end side to get a good concealer. The associated shoved one brand in my face and left. No asking if I wanted to try it on (I did) or the likes. Oh well. Ulta lost a $40+ sale that day. I did an experiment one day. I wore a knock off Guess purse, a nice dress, heels, and overly done make-up. When I entered the high end side the sales ladies wanted to help me instantly. One time I tried to do a return and was treated like a thief.

My last visit was the one I described about the concealer. I just don't get what the sales ladies at Ulta's issues are but I swear that store needs to retrain their associates in customer service because they are lacking it big time!

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/6/2010 11:01:00 PM More reviews by funlayo

I am so annoyed at their coupons, Its like the more you look, the less you see, coupons are useless for the products I want and I could get the drugstore brands cheaper at CVS or Walmart

So why do I need to go there? even though its close by, there is a lot of opportunity to improve this business but not being seized. Their staff look inexperienced to me.

I just use the 3.50/5.00 coupon when I need to change my loofah/body scrub

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2010 1:53:00 PM More reviews by mouse1217

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I like Ulta! They take vendor coupons AND their store coupons on sale items all in the same purchase and you end up saving a ton of money. They carry alot of brands and have testers for alot as well. The stores are clean and the salespeole at my Ulta are fairly friendly, meaning they don't bug me other than "welcome to Ulta" or "do you need any help" (once only). My only problem is not everything is priced and sometimes their sales aren't noticable because the signs are missing.