August 23, 2014 | 1954 users online

Concealers - MAC - Select Cover-Up

rated 3 of 5 on 9/5/2012 3:13:00 PM More reviews by SDSnyds

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't hate this concealer but I don't love it either. It doesn't fully cover dark circles or blemishes but I like that it doesn't settle into lines that much. What I absolutely hate is there's some kind of shimmer in this. I don't know why makeup companies insist on adding shimmer to their products. Maybe they're under the delusion that it makes us look younger but we all know that's certainly not the case. I also hate the packaging and how runny this is. More times than not I've wasted product by barely squeezing and way too much coming out. All in all, I wouldn't repurchase. Save your money for something better.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2012 1:42:00 AM More reviews by cuyugang0322

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my go to concealer if I am in a rush, and need something foolproof. When I use this concealer, I generally am not using any liquid foundation underneath. I use this concealer under mineral foundation powder or Studio Fix Powder. I like this concealer as a quick application because it is sheer enough to be forgiving when you're in a rush, but opaque enough to conceal. It blends like a dream when you choose the right shade. If you have redness, try the "NC" shades as they will counteract the redness with the yellow tones. I use NC30 for the winter, and NC35 for summer. Even when I tan to NC40, the select line still blends well enough so I can get away with NC35 in this concealer.
I do not use this concealer for my under eye area. I generally do not use under eye concealer so unfortunately I would not be able to determine it's effectiveness as one. But it is a great quick concealer that melts into your skin for a natural put-together look. Powder foundation glides over it seamlessly.
With a primer (oil-controlling), setting powder (usually BE, MAC SF, MAC MSF), finishing spray (MAC fix +), and periodic blotting I last 8 hours without looking like a deep-fried oily mess.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/13/2012 7:38:00 PM More reviews by bionicbigjames

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Not a fan of this at all. It is very drying and looks cakey when I put it under my eyes. It also settles in the lines. I sometimes use this to cover blemishes and that's only because I don't like wasting something I paid for. The only thing I do like is the packaging. The squeeze tube is hygienic and will allow you to get every drop of product. Other than that though, this concealer is just not for me. :-/

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2012 11:09:00 AM More reviews by sweetascocoa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I like this concealer for covering for facial blemishes. I'm not a huge fan of using it for my undereye area- I think my pro longwear concealer is better for that. But, for spot covering, Select Cover-up is it.
One reason that I like Select Cover-Up is because the shades tend to run truer to color to most MAC foundations. I find that the pro long wear concealers can be way too orange in some colors (like NC50).
I typically add a small squirt of my NC50 Select Cover-Up to my 8.0 Matchmaster foundation, and this gives me excellent coverage, and the color match is really good.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2012 6:30:00 AM More reviews by delicatepost

I use this for under my eyes.. this is the best product I've used for my under eyes dark circles.. the shades in this are lighter than the actual foundation colours. you've been told!!

I like that this is a liquid and blendable, it's thick enough too.. just to cover up my horrible dark circles..

I will buy this time and time again. I don't use this for my blemishes.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2012 12:51:00 AM More reviews by JChrisBee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

After seeing several youtube gurus using this product, I thought what the heck and ordered it when they were having free 2 day shipping. However, I was terribly disappointed with Select Cover Up. First of all, the shade didn't match the same shade in the Studio Fix Fluid Foundation. The concealer was much lighter than the foundation and left my skin looking ghostly and ashy. It also dries too quickly and is hard to blend. Not only does it dry too quickly, but it is also drying on the skin. I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone.

Note: I sent it back to MAC and ordered the Pro Longwear concealer and was instantly in love with this long lasting concealer which was completely opposite of Select Cover up. The rep, over the phone, helped me find the right shade and it is perfect. I only need this and my bb cream and my face looks flawless all day.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/19/2012 6:39:00 PM More reviews by maybom

Over this years, I've bought 4 tubes of this stuff (in NC30) and although it's works good to cover my undereye discoloration, which isn't even that bad, it's way too thin to cover up any blemishes like the redness from pimples or to hide old pimple scars. Color is a perfect match for me and the consistency is buildable but only to a point.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/27/2012 9:58:00 AM More reviews by jamandbutter

I'm into my third tube of Select Cover-Up and each can last me for more than 6 months. I use it mainly for my dark eye circles. Having tried MAC studio finish concealer and moisturecover, I have to say that I like select cover-up best. Studio finish is very pigmented and has the best coverage of the three but it's thick and dry and emphasizes fine lines. Even as I'm able to hide my dark circles, I had friends commenting I should switch to a better eye cream. Moisturecover has a thin, liquid consistency and is very blendable, coverage is decent but it wasn't able to withstand the tropical heat and humidity where I live. By the end of the day, my dark circles show and my cheeks get oily from the product slipping down my face. Not good. Select cover-up, however, applies easily under the eye and is quite pigmented - my eye area looks brighter and dark circles are covered up pretty well (not 100% but good enough). I'm satisfied and happy to stick with this until something better comes along.
For reference, I use this in NC30.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/22/2012 7:26:00 PM More reviews by cmacintyre100

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Not a bad concealer. Is quite sheer - wouldn't recommend for dark circles, better to go either with a corrector underneath or use something with a pinky/peachy tone like the Bobbi Brown or Eve Pearl line. One tube lasts quite a long time as little product is needed. Not sure if I will repurchase, I think I might try Moisture cover next time.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2012 10:46:00 AM More reviews by alousek

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I donít really suffer from dark under eye cicrles, but of course I do look better with a touch of under eye concealer. I decided to go to MAC because of the wide shade range. The SA chose a perfect shade for me Ė NW20. I am happy with the choice and have already my 5th tube or so.
It goes easily on, does not settle into the small wrinkles around eyes. Offers a bit of colour and is buildable to almost full coverage and am more than satisfied with the finish. I use it with the MAC double fibre 286 brush that was recommended to me lately in the store when I went for a new one.
Occasionally also use it for spots or any other things to conceal on my face, works well as well.
Lasts forever, but I usually stop using it after the recommended 6moths after opening. It is because of my eyes, I donít want to take any risk irritating them. Elsewhere on my face I would use it even longer than that.