Wen by Chaz Dean Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner

3.2

Not tested on animals

on 4/12/2013 5:10:00 PM

After seeing the infomercial, I was excited to try a sulfate and detergent free shampoo. I'm going away for a month this summer and I won't be able to shower everyday and I was hoping that this product would get my hair out of the "habit" of getting shampooed everyday.

Packaging: The reason why I gave the packaging such a low rating is because of the amount of product that is given in a "month's supply." The 355ml bottle would be more than enough but the instructions say to use 16 pumps for medium length hair. I have been using it every other day for the past 3 weeks and I am already completely out of product.

Product: The almond mint scent was pretty light and didn't really stick to my hair. I would have almost rather had a stronger scent because my hair always felt and smelled dirty while I was using this shampoo. The consistency was really heavy and didn't lather so I found myself needing the full 16 pumps just to be able to get it all over my hair.

How my hair felt: In short, my hair felt like crap.
I had just run out of a product I found at winners called muk which made my hair look and feel amazing. Winners stopped selling it so I decided to give wen a try. After my first use I noticed that there was a bit of residue left on my hair which made my hands feel waxy. After blow-drying my hair, it felt sticky and it was pretty tangly and somehow straighter than usual...almost looked like straw.
I spent extra time rinsing the product out of my hair after my first time using it but no matter how much I rinsed it (with my high pressure showerhead nonetheless) there was still this sticky, waxy residue on my hair. I resorted to tying it up most of the time and when I did have to wear it down, I would mix regular shampoo into it.

Overall this has not been a good month for my hair. It has been sticky, waxy, dull, limp and in a ponytail for most of the time...It also smelled pretty bad...

On the plus side, I have gotten out of the habit of shampooing so I guess wen did serve it's purpose for me even if I had to walk around for a month with dirty hippy hair.

I can't speak for everyone but I feel like this product would be better suited for people with extremely damaged hair. I can see it calming frizzy hair down because of the heavy formula and I'm sure it probably does make your hair healthier, but I started out with healthy hair already and I don't find that this product improved it's condition.

ps if anyone knows where to find muk hair products in Vancouver BC message me and I will love you forever! xoxo

on 3/25/2013 2:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is the first product I've ever purchased where I was so frustrated and annoyed by it that I rushed out to return it and felt incredibly happy having gotten rid of it.

I decided to try it since I've been wanting to cut down on the products I use. I read up on reviews and understood that there were very mixed reviews, but since they had it at my local Sephora, I suppose it couldn't hurt.

WRONG.

The first washing went really well. My hair looked fantastic and was easy to manage. That's the only positive thing you'll read me say.

Subsequent washings went TERRIBLE, even after adjusting how much product I put in (10-15 pumps just seemed absolutely ridiculous to me for the price). I would scrub, and scrub, and scrub it out of my hair, but even a few hours later, my roots would be looking greasy. The top of my hair would then start to follow suit and I would lose and volume I had. After coming home from work one evening, I saw how bad my hair looked in the mirror and I immediately washed it. My old Head and Shoulders washed all the gunk out and made my hair feel fluffy and bouncy, as it should be!

I was so unimpressed with Wen, not only for the price, but for what it did to my hair. My hair usually isn't very oily, so this was very disappointing to see how it affected my hair.

I will NOT be repurchasing, and I'm so glad I got this out of my house!

on 3/19/2013 11:50:00 PM

I have a very full thick head of shoulder length somewhat fine & wavy hair that tend(ed) to frizz in any humidity. Like most women, I also color my hair. I'd tried every product out there to deep condition and anti frizz and nothing worked except those heavy gel type products that made my hair feel kinda crunchy, not soft & silky the way I wanted. So a few years ago I tried Wen. It has literally changed my hair! From the first try, my hair was soft & even in high humidity it did not frizz. Ive used it ever since and only wish I'd found it sooner. That said I don't think this Wen formulation is the right product for thin hair that needs volume. It's much too rich in emollients for that. But if you have hair that's tough to tame, wow, Wen Sweet Almond Mint really works. Yes, it's expensive but this one product replaces all the shampoo conditioner & styling products I used to rely on, and with much better results.

on 3/18/2013 11:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

Not what it's hyped up to be. I have thick coarse hair and I blowed dried my hair and it still looked frizzy that I had to put in product and flatiron my hair. The only thing I like is how minty it made my scalp feel and so I gave it a 2. Not worth the money and so hyped up.

on 3/15/2013 6:12:00 PM

I was really excited to try Wen despite the high price. The amount of product they want you to use is outrageous! Wen made my hair fall out, feel greasy, and fall flat. Not to mention when you reach the last 1/3 of the bottle, the pump does not work! The only good thing about this product is the smell!

on 3/15/2013 5:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This stuff is just meh. I used my mum's bottle for a week or so and it's not awful but for me it's no better than a really good drugstore conditioner. I absolutely would not give you £25 for a bottle. I really hate the smell - I don't get anything sweet almond, and the mind just makes it smell like toothpaste. Wouldn't purchase.

on 3/11/2013 9:03:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is just ok. I have very long frizzy, curly hair. I washed my hair as directed every other day with this product and it took me 5 weeks to go through a whole bottle. This made no difference in my frizz at all. This just doesn't seem to work for my hair, I have other products that work better, I won't purchase this again.

on 3/11/2013 12:39:00 AM

So, I have been using this cleansing conditioner since January, and I really don't see what the big deal is. I wouldn't recommend buying it , especially because it costs so much for so little. And just an FYI, even if you like the product, I would avoid the Winter Vanilla Mint one...it smells like a urinal cake.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This is my Holy Grail of hair care. I love it. It makes my hair feel like it was just washed at the salon EVERY TIME.

The first time I used it I did notice a lot of hair loss. I think that this was due to the fact that I have never combed my hair in the shower before. Nothing to be concerned about.

Also, you must must must rinse with cold water. I know it sucks but it does make a difference.

The only real CON I can think of is the price. It is expensive, especially if you have really thick/long hair and use a lot of the product. I made the mistake of switching to Liveclean to save money and was extremely disappointed.

********* EDIT ********* After using this product for a few months I have to reduce my overall rating significantly ! Now this product makes my hair feel heavy and greasy. I thought maybe I wasn't rinsing enough or the water wasn't cold enough when I rinsed - Nope.

After freezing my bum off in the shower for a good 2 min rinsing my hair - NOTHING. Never again.

This is my first review ever! I have spent thousand and thousands of dollars on shampoos, conditioners, hairstyling gunk and hair appliances, I could open a store with just the unused leftover all over my house! My hair is naturally light brown, fine, oily roots, dry ends because I have been dying it and bleaching it for ever. Now it is light blond, which was ok because I had this fantastic unpretentious hair colorist who did magic! But then, I moved! Got a few bad over processed catastrophes and trips to the most expensive salon ($500 for color) and my hair just got worse and worse! More products buying to no avail! My hair simply looked terrible! I my hair products storage space overloaded, i gave up!
Until last week, when I opened a package my fiancé received in the mail, didn't know what it was, went online , and to make a long story short, 3 days later, I am cleaning my cabinets!!!
No more shampoo for me! That stuff is amazing! My hair looks like I would love it to look after spending $800 at the most expensive NY salon! In 10 minutes?!?! And it gets better every day?!?! Pinch me!!
Ok, it has just been 3 days, but there is something about the whole way it feels and gets better and the dramatic difference that tells me I am onto something!
I am Soo scared of shampoos now and starting to realize this whole shampoo industry is really about you having to buy tones of stuff and getting hooked onto it from an early age and basically using a damaging "supposed" to be great product, just Soo you are hooked into buying all the accessories product to counteract the damaging effect of the most familiar and seemingly"indispensable " one: shampoo!!
anyway my hair looks fantastic, feels fantastic, I don"t wash my hair in the shower, because I don't want to spend Soo much time in the shower, I wash it in the sink, then let it soak for 5 mn, then rinse! And rinse! It's a change of routine! A pleasant one because it smells and feels great while sitting on your hair.
It does feel a bit weird on the scalp at first, on my first day, my hair looked fantastic but the roots got heavier after a few hours, the next day I did two washes, and it improved, I am working on finding my perfect "routine", and I know my scalp is trying to adjust, but all I can tell Soo far is my hair is "shiny" , falls like , oh man I don't remember, like a once in a five year thing, and it has been doing it for three straight days, getting better every day!
Wen is expensive, so today I bought a supposed to be like Wen product, salon graphix,the one for oily hair, tried it but ended up finishing with the Wen winter vanilla mint because my hair felt dry as I was rinsing it ! It doesn't feel as good!

Anyway, I will report in a couple weeks! Or maybe I won't because my hair won't be something I think off! -:)

Video Reviews & Tutorials