July 26, 2014 | 968 users online

Loose Powders - La Mer - Skincolor De La Mer - The Powder - Poudre de La Mer

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2009 12:03:00 PM More reviews by firedog

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

After reading many reviews and board postings, I decided to give La Mer loose powder (in Creme) a try and all I can say is "WOW." I've tried almost everything and nothing compares. It glides on my skin beautifully without looking heavy or chalky. And it doesn't dry out my skin or make it look greasy, even when used over different types of foundations and tinted moisturizers. Best of all...no breakouts or flaking skin. It seems to keep everything balanced and well hydrated. My only gripe is the huge, heavy container. I'll definitely need to take a small sample with me when I travel to avoid the extra packaging bulk.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2009 6:23:00 PM More reviews by trackypup

Incredible loose powder. I asked and received this for Valentines Day in Creme. It doesn't last me all day, but if I apply at 7:00 am, I can go until at least 3:00 pm before having to do a touch up, just looks so natural and makes my skin look like porcelian. I would definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2009 8:51:00 PM More reviews by CynicElle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the best loose powder I've ever used. I can't speak for the other shades, but I use Creme as a finishing powder after I've put on my makeup. No chalkiness, no masklike look -- I get a soft, radiant finish. It's glorious stuff. Yes, it's really expensive, but I've had my jar for nearly a year and haven't come close to using it up. (And sue me -- I like the jar. It's pretty, though I can understand that it'd be a pain to lug around.) Keep the Creme de la Mer; I'll take the Powder de la Mer.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2009 7:13:00 PM More reviews by keavy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm never usually wowed by loose powders but this definitely WOWED me! I had just bought myself this luxurious, miracle powder yesterday from Bloomingdales, and I wasn't even planning to. I thought it'd just be another overpriced bottle of BS but when the MUA applied it to my problematic skin, it make me look fresh and flawless! I get oily throughout the day and powders don't usually help much without looking cakey or chalky but this stuff is FINELY milled alright, DO believe the hype! hehe

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2008 12:57:00 AM More reviews by ljanelle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Ooooooh what a luxurious powder! I have it in cream after sampling cream and translucent. Both are lovely but this gave a hint of coverage but is still light as a feather - does not emphasize flakes at all but goes on like a dream and looks so soft and pretty on. I also purchased the loose powder brush which I love too, though the puff it comes with is excellent as well.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2008 8:53:00 PM More reviews by cyndiinphilly

I originally bought this in translucent and was not impressed. It gave no coverage and too much sparkle for me. I returned it and bought the creme on a rec from the SA at Saks and now it's my HG. Goes on super-smooth, keeps m/u fresh, no sparkle, just gorgeous skin. Pricey, but worth it. The glass jar is pretty and very heavy, certainly not travel friendly. I wish they would come out with a pressed version. I will definitely repurchase

rated 1 of 5 on 11/2/2008 1:56:00 PM More reviews by TinasDreamworld

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I hate this powder. I bought it in translucent.
I only powder my T-zone because I have very dry cheeks but it is impossible with this powder. It has tiny sort of pink coloured particles.

It does not control oil at all. I have dry cheeks and my T-zone is a little bit oily, but not that extreme. If I use more than a light dusting, my skin looks like polished with some purple/pink and the rest of the face, where I can't use powder has the colour of the foundation.

Because I only powder my T-zone I find YSL semi-loose powder better.
That powder controls oil well, but is too drying for my cheeks. For the first hour it looks funny to have a powdered mat T-zone and more shiny cheeks but after that time my whole face looks the same.

If I would have everywhere dry skin I would try to La Mer powder in colour creme, but that powder adds a peachy colour to the face.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/15/2008 3:28:00 PM More reviews by olika

I have got a good sized sample of this powder (in Translucent) from ebay after reading such great reviews. It is definitely very finely milled and dissapears onto your face, whilst setting the make up well (I usually don't wear foundation - just tinted moisturiser or tinted bronze gel). However, my biggest grudge, is that it doesn't keep the oil under control. I also disliked the sparkle in the Translucent shade. I definitaly will not re-purchse this powder in Translucent. However, I am curious to try other shades to see if they would suit me better. I'll give it 4 lippies for the quiality and ability to achieve that "not powdered" look.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2008 9:03:00 AM More reviews by simiparga

*PIC INCLUDED* I was lucky enough to swap for a brand new jar of this... full size! To begin with, I wasn't that impressed. I just thought it was a run of the mill powder. After neglecting it for several months I decided to give it another go and am so glad that I did. It's finely milled and I tend to use it with a fluffy powder brush. The finish that it gives my skin is flawless. It feels totally weightless and very natural too. No glitter or sparkle with is a BIG deal for me. I don't want that finish in my loose powder - and if I do, I just add a fine layer of Chanel Poudre Douche over the top.
Not the best at controlling oil, but not bad either. I just use MAC blot if I need a touch up.
This is a very expensive product and I hope that it lasts for a long time. I'm not impressed with the bulky heavy packaging either - as I can't travel with it. I'm going to need to decant some of this into a smaller sifter jar.
For reference I have 02 Neutral and I wear GA FF #3, Chanel TI 40 Beige.
**EDIT** dec 2008. Have now been to a La Mer counter and purchased this in Beige which is a better match as it's less pink toned. I love this even more! Even purchased the La Mer foundation which is heavenly too!!

continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2008 11:22:00 PM More reviews by caprihong

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've used many high end loose powders and they either made my face dry or chalky...and the packaging would always be terrible. I've stuck with YSL Poudre Sur Mesure for quite some time cause I loved the packaging and was so convenient for travel, plus it looked gorgeous. However, it was drying and it did make my fine lines show but I was willing to bear it till I finished it up. Thanks to my mom who snatched it away cause she thought it smelled and looked beautiful, I "unwillingly" gave it up and went out the next day looking for a new loose powder. This horrific looking La Mer product kept catching my eye. I mean, who in their rightful mind would come up with this packaging --- I am absolutely sure it was designed by a male. Anyway, this turned out to be absolutely remarkable. It is not drying as all the other products I've ever used,,, it's so thinly milled...it truly leaves an incredible finish. I am so impressed that I am willing to look at this ugly, bulky packaging with loving eyes...cause what's inside is truly a state of the art. Well done, La Mer!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No