October 31, 2014 | 1223 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2014 8:35:00 AM More reviews by Gjones7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

There is so much hype around these sponges, and the first time I used it I wasn't impressed. However over time I fell in love with the beauty blender and I hardly use any of my other foundation brushes. I don't really know how to describe it but because of the damp sponge, using it to apply foundation just makes the skin glow and feels hydrated. It sheets the product out so you don't get that cake face effect. This is awesome for applying concealer too. Just wish they weren't so expensive but they are fabulous

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2014 4:31:00 PM More reviews by queenzy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

soooooo amazing product! since i've a dry skin its hard for me to look not 'cakey' but thank god this one make the foundation/concealer blends well to my face..flawless!

x

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2014 4:01:00 PM More reviews by darthodis

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using it regularly ever since I got it but not as much as I thought I would. And it's not that it's disappointing or bad, it's just not better than a really great face brush in my opinion...

It's really great when you need to do a medium/full coverage foundation+concealer in minimum time.

When it comes to cheaper dupes for this sponge; they do not compare, I have tried many dupe sponges. They usually have a completely different texture and they do not give you the same finish.

Cleaning this item is a challenge. Well, making it look clean is a challenge. It stains so badly. I personally do not care about the stains as long as it's clean.

I really really like the Beauty Blender and I will always have one at my disposal.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/27/2014 2:31:00 PM More reviews by delilas

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I like it, but I'm not in love with it. In fact, my favorite use for it is to apply powder. When the sponge is very lightly damp (as it should be to use), I press it against my powder and bounce it on my t zone. It sets makeup without giving off a powdery finish - just a nice, natural, matte.

Otherwise, I do occasionally use it for a liquid foundation, but I don't think it works that much better on my skin than a brush does, and it does soak up more of my foundation. It is better at covering red areas in one go, and not leaving streaks, but if you're moderately decent with a brush, streaks aren't an issue anyway.

I've been using it for a couple months, and because of the price, I doubt I will repurchase immediately. I got this one in Januarys Glossybox subscription, and I wouldn't be in a hurry to repurchase at this point.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2014 1:29:00 PM More reviews by Shiahyr

There are so many reviews that I don't think I need to add much, but say that I really enjoy the beauty blender. I have two beauty blenders - one I use for foundation and the other I used to blend the harsh lines of contouring (instead of doing it with a brush). I clean it with dish soap and it cleanse it pretty well. Makes the makeup go on smoothly and nice :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2014 4:55:00 PM More reviews by linet182

Ladies, meet the holy grail of makeup sponges. I kept hearing about how great this product is and it wasn't until I tried it out myself, I realized all the buzz is well worth it. I use the beauty blender to apply my Laura Mercier foundation. It helps cover up my acne 10 times more when I apply my foundation with the beauty blender and it doesn't look caked on. I always get compliments on how great my skin looks. The price is definitely a little steep, but if you care after it (wash it daily and keep it in a little baggy) it should last you a few months.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2014 5:35:00 PM More reviews by KLynn88

This is going to be the new thing I can't live without. I was skeptical about it at first, as I'm sure most people reading this are, but man, it's brilliant. Before, I used to use my fingers to apply foundation as I hate the sheer coverage of brushes (I need lots of coverage), and the waste of sponge wedges. My husband bought me this for a gift, and I'm hooked. It spreads foundation on perfectly! I mean, what's the point of buying expensive foundation to apply it so it looks all streaky and non-natural? The BB makes it look like I'm wearing nothing, while giving me full coverage of all my nasty bits.

The only thing that sucks is the price, especially considering I've heard they wear out in as little as 3 months. And cleaning it is a drag too. I didn't buy the cleanser, as I thought my First Aid Beauty face cleanser (the white tube) would basically do the job. It does! And I think any gentle face soap would do as well (Cetaphil, Eucerin, etc.) I think it's definitely worth it, though, despite these drawbacks, although I will try to Real Techniques dupe when this one wears out to see if I can save some money.

EDIT: wanted to add something else I discovered. When you dispense your foundation (I do it on the back of my hand), don't pour very much, and when you dip the sponge in, use a tiny amount. You'd be surprised how little you need as the sponge does all the work and spreads it very well. The more you use, the more you'll end up wasting. And you can always add more as you go!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2014 9:23:00 AM More reviews by UrrUrr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Heard about this and saw this around for years...only got to buying it now. Mainly because I was lazy to wash it every day.

I have a couple of foundations that don't work well for me (sinking into pores) and I thought that I would give it a try. In fact, I was going to bin my Becca Matte Skin Shine Proof Foundation because it looked awful whether I used fingers or foundation brushes. It just sank into my pores immediately after application. However, I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't happen when I used my Beauty Blender. In fact the foundation looked pretty decent and lasted more than 12 hours on me looking just fine.

Pros:
- Natural coverage. This is going to be a con if you want heavy coverage. You can layer your foundation but it might take a longer time to apply.
- No brush streaks, foundation looks smooth
- Can be washed quickly (<2 min) with the solid beauty blender soap. I bought mine in a set and the soap is good, it doesn't turn icky if you drain it out properly.
- The sharper side is good for edges of the nose etc. It really blends the foundation out in these places
- Foundation doesn't settle into pores.

Cons:
- Have to wash it after every use or foundation might stain it
- Have to soak it in water and squeeze it out before using...time consuming for me as I have to run to the toilet to do that D-:
- I use more foundation than usual. After all, it's a sponge, it soaks up some foundation in the process. For me, roughly half a pump more as compared to using brushes
- Won't last as long as a brush, has to be replaced
- Takes longer for me to blend my foundation as compared to using a brush.

I really do like this despite the fact that it takes longer for me to apply my make up in the morning. If I'm in a rush, I would choose to use my regular brushes though. However, if you have a foundation you don't like, perhaps you could try using a beauty blender as an alternative form of application. I have heard of the pink beauty blender bleeding color when washed but my black one has held up just fine.l would repurchase this for sure.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2014 6:41:00 PM More reviews by HWL

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

It's way over priced, but it is really good. Sadly, the dupes are too hard and not absorbent enough.. The whole point, is the way it puffs up and is soft it is. Then you squeeze out as much water as you can, so it's barely damp. If it's too wet or you put toomuch foundation on at once, it can end up looking patchy Dupes seem to feel too wet and too hard. I like this for thick creams and bbs that need thinning out. You just lightly dab, so hopefully I am not rubbing too much sunscreen off, nor am I rubbing my dry skin too much. Kabuki brushes also apply a nice thin layer too, but they feel harsher on the skin. Some bbs are cream fdns are so thick, I had to rub them on the back of my hand to soften them up, before applying. I don't have to do that with this. This works fast too. I like using thicker, full coverage cream foundations, but sheering them a bit. I don't know how this work with a thin liquid. Nor sure if this works as well with thin, sheerer liquid foundations. If your foundation dries too fast this will help. Fingers do work great and damp fingers (holding this keeps them just a little damp) sometimes work best. I often apply foundation with my fingers to the face (as there is less waste) and rub it in. Then I use this to buff it a little bit. This is expensive and not needed, but if I could only have one tool for applying liquid foundation, it be this.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/7/2014 5:18:00 PM More reviews by kwb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

So, having dry skin, the only application technique I was ever really able to get away with was my fingers. Brushes are just awful in my opinion, and way way too heavy coverage, and I'd never tried just the cheap sponges because...well that's what I had fingers for. I've never been a big foundation person ANYWAYS, I find it makes my skin look awful (and I've tried everything from drugstore to high end, including primers, mixing with moisturizer, I do moisturize and exfoliate, it just never looked good, and if it did, it lasted maybe an hour), but I like it, because it *can* look more natural than concealer, and lets the skin breathe more. So I figured with this, I could finally wear foundation without caking, flaking, or melting off my face.
Nope, nope, nope. I don't know why I expected this to work, but it just doesn't. I followed several tutorials to the tee, and it still looked like wet, patchy makeup. Which then looked dry and patchy in about 15 minutes. Concealer before foundation? Oh, lets just completely take off all the concealer you just put on. Foundation before concealer? Let's do the same! And yes, I waited for the layers to dry and I tried it a million different ways, and bottom line, is it's just a sponge. Yes it's feels nice, it's pretty, but is it worth 20-30$? Hell no!
I found out just a couple of days ago that I can use it dry for my concealer (I gave up foundation again), and it looks a smidge better than when I use my fingers, but again, not worth the money. I could probably have the same effect with a cheap bag of makeup sponges, and at least that way I can throw them out every couple of uses so I don't have a cesspool of bacteria being bounced on my face. Good thing I didn't fall for the cleanser too.
Last thing, it soaked up a crrrraaazzzyyyyy amount of my foundation. I usually need 1 full pump of liquid foundation to ENTIRELY cover my face...that's even with some left over. This? This took 5 pumps! What the heck is that about! So not only did I waste money on a 25$ sponge, I wasted huge amounts of product, some of which is really expensive.
I will keep it and use dry for my concealer, but I will most certainly not repurchase. Am I the only one who is bitter about being duped into buying a product way over marketed and over priced? I hope not, cause I feel pretty darn stupid.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No