December 18, 2014 | 1405 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2014 12:52:00 PM More reviews by luisawang1

I finally splurged and got the BB. I personally thought it was a bit pricey for a small sponge but it works so well!! Never have I had such a flawless foundation application. It literally makes my foundation look stippled on and glowing. I'm tossing my sigma brushes and just using this!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2014 9:43:00 PM More reviews by ShaShagirl87

I looooovvveee my beauty blender! omigosh...I have had it for about a month or so and let me tell you, it makes my makeup (foundation application) look flawless, I like using my real techniques expert face brush along with it too sometimes and... huuuuunnntttaaayy! lol #MustHave

rated 1 of 5 on 6/23/2014 2:02:00 AM More reviews by SaraxD

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I honestly don't know why people love and rave about this sponge so much. All it does is make my foundation look patchy and wet. I have not been able to make this work AT ALL for that purpose, though I do enjoy how it works with powder to set my makeup. It's not worth $20 at all IMO, not even $5. It's just a crappy little sponge, sorry! Haha

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2014 9:55:00 PM More reviews by tigerlily217

I was late to jump onto the bandwagon since I was stubborn and thought nothing could beat how flawless of a finish I was getting with my brush. It wasn't until I switched my foundation to a thicker creamy formula that I realized my brush was not sufficient for the job. It actually ruined one of my brushes, unfortunately.

I didn't have high hopes considering how I am usually one of the few people who end up not enjoying the product that many people rave about. So it took me by surprise how flawless my foundation looked. I use less product and it doesn't absorb a lot of product either. I get way better coverage using than using a brush. You don't use as much time applying it because it's so efficient when using it. I started using this back in December last year and finally decided to replace it with a new one. It held its shape until now but it's kind of gross thinking I've been using it for six months already. I clean it everyday but bacteria tends to love sponges!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2014 7:54:00 PM More reviews by SarahCosProf

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just recently purchased this product. I do have to say that it was definitely worth the chunk of change. The only downfall of the beauty blender is that sometimes when I use it to blend my foundation, I feel like it soaks up the foundation and even wipes the makeup right off of my face. I use urban decay primer and loreal true match foundation, and they are both great products and I have been using them for years, so I know it is not the foundation. Overall, it does give a nice airbrushed, clean finish.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2014 6:32:00 PM More reviews by Katelrobs3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Well I'll be damned...this lil sponge is the bee's knees. I avoided purchasing this for about two years for I just couldn't justify spending $20 on a sponge. After receiving some $ for graduation I decided to cave and buy it and I'm oh so glad I did. I have dry skin and after being disappointed with setting sprays claiming to give you a 'dewy' face I was hoping this would take away that 'cakey' quality that some foundations can give. This did all that and more; cuts your foundation application time in half and truly gives your face a very very natural, hydrated look. I have Real Techniques beauty sponge and I would not say it is a dupe for the BB at all. At the moment I'm using my HG Shiseido Radiant Lift foundation as well as Lancme's Teint Miracle foundation and it works wonders with both. Just get it wet, squeeze out the water and there ya go! So satisfied with this purchase and definitely recommend it to anyone on the fence about purchasing!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2014 3:05:00 PM More reviews by Helenaw14

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is great! I was hesitant to buy it at first because I did not think it would cover up my blemishes and the dryness on my skin. I got the target brand one and it was a total disappointment. But then I got this one, it works so well. Nothing compares to this! Love love love!💞

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2014 1:18:00 PM More reviews by qaeng3

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Fine Eyes: Other

Best tool ever!! If you want your makeup to be NATURAL, then this is for you. However as it is a sponge, it Is not as durable as a brush. Also you might need to use more product since it absorbs the foundation. It is very convenient but price wise, I feel it is a bit EXPENSIVE for its durability. But regardless of that, I will still repurchase it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2014 9:47:00 PM More reviews by treradical

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I no longer use this because I am no longer wearing foundation, but this was the BEST way to apply my makeup when I was wearing Revlon Colorstay. It made my makeup go on so smoothly and made it look natural. If I was still wearing foundation, I would definitely keep repurchasing it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2014 4:12:00 PM More reviews by thecharberry

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Since I purchased my first Beautyblender (BB) 2 years ago, I've stopped looking for the "perfect" makeup tool to make my foundation look flawless. If you are like me and your goal is to have a dewy, polished, and natural skin finish, then the BB is for you.

I used to spend a lot of time with my foundation, from making sure that there were no brush streaks on my face and neck to making sure everything was perfectly in place. The BB has been a huge time-saver for me. To prep the sponge, all I do is squeeze it in my hand under warm running water to make sure that the whole BB is wet. Then using a towel, I would squeeze out any excess water. You want the sponge to be damp and ready to use, not soaking wet.

Some have complained about the BB soaking up and wasting too much product. What I have learned to do is pump my foundation on the back of my hand and with my clean fingers, I dot the foundation on my face and neck. Now comes the best part! With the larger side, I will bounce away (or stipple, as you pros say) on my cheeks, chin, forehead, and neck. Any difficult areas like around the nose or under the eyes, I will use the pointed side for more precision. The BB is great for powdered foundations and for blending out concealers too.

One thing that I would like to emphasize is to clean your BBs regularly. My cleanser isn't anything fancy or expensive so I use it to clean the sponge. Focus on the areas where you can see the foundation but also clean the whole sponge thoroughly. If you don't try and clean it daily, you risk staining your BB (the longer you wait, the harder it is to get it all pink and clean again) but the biggest risk is damaging your skin with a dirty sponge. With my sensitive skin, I would never risk that. When you are squeezing your clean BB under running water, the sponge should quickly expand back. If you see that your BB is not absorbing the water and isn't growing (it should expand when wet), it's a sign that product or even the cleanser you used to clean it is still trapped in there. I would suggest to replace your BBs every 6 months. Just the thought of all the bacteria that can be potentially trapped inside the sponge is making my palms sweaty now...

One last thing is a word of caution for those with long nails! Be careful when you're squeezing the sponge dry, careful not to tear the sponge.

The Beautyblender is quite pricey and I haven't tried other sponges (other than the ones that came with my compact foundations). My principle is to not waste money if I've already found something good.