April 18, 2014 | 934 users online

Treatments - Homemade Vitamin C Serum

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2012 2:01:00 PM More reviews by olemissmoss

After much researching and price comparing, I decided to make my own Vitamin C Serum. I mix the following in the palm of my hand (I like this method because it is fresh each day)..
4 drops pure Rose Oil w/ Grapeseed Oil
1 drop pure Vegetable Glycerin
1/16 teaspoon pure Vitamin C Crystals (ascorbic acid)

It does burn and tingle for a bit, but it never lasts more than 10-15 minutes. The results are amazing and addictive. I am hooked after seeing visible results after just one week. I purchase all of the ingredients from iHerb.com, although there are many other good websites and health stores. Use FOF205 to receive five dollars of your first order.

10 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2012 6:27:00 AM More reviews by dimiz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

i have mild rosacea (just the redness) ,somy skin is reactive to everything!
vitamin c is an excellent antioxidant which also promotes the synthesis of collagen. I used to make a 10 % solution in plain distealed water and keep it in a dark drop bottle but i did't like this method.. it's not very sanitary...

so. my new method of preparation is this:
I put gust a bit of the powder on my hand and spray it with avene thermal water. I work it for a minute with my finger in order for it to fully disolve,then rub it in my hands and apply to clean dry face!

I really like this new method of mine because every single time I apply, i know it's super fress!
vitamic c has helped my redness and the overall condition of my skin! i'll never be without it!!

14 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2012 1:05:00 PM More reviews by KalmiaB

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Other, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Here's my brew:

4 tsp. rose water
1 tsp. glycerin
1/8 tsp. granulated vitamin C from health foot store.

Store in an old brown John Masters pump bottle which I wash out in boiling water first.

The price is sure right on this one, and I can make a fresh batch every week or so. No bad skin reactions so far.

le

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2012 12:16:00 PM More reviews by amyfarrahfowler

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Following a recipe obtained on the internet I have been making my own Vitamin C -&- Distilled Water "toner" for a couple of months now. Easy to do and inexpensive. I can control the strength of the mixture and make it fresh every week so there's never a question about it going bad.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/17/2012 9:49:00 PM More reviews by Rapunzell

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

LOVE THIS! I've been making my own Vit. C serum for 6 months. I use Vit. C crystals from Trader Joes. I make a strong green tea and add this. With a few other things.

It's the BOMB! Will never be without and it costs pennies. Win-win-win!

6 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2012 5:34:00 PM More reviews by womanofmilwaukee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I also make DIY C Serum and love it.
To get the anti aging benefits it is imperative that the PH level be below 3.5 which allows it to absorb into the skin.
Never ever use C serum that has yellowed or darkened, this is the sign of oxidation.
Use in the mornings, but NOT with copper peptides since they cancel each other out.

For your DIY materials:

Making Cosmetics

Skinactives

10 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2012 5:06:00 AM More reviews by blahblahh

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

It's a no-go for my face (hello whiteheads etc), but love it for the body. I mix 1/4 LAA with 2 teaspoons of water, shake it and spray it all over my body and top it with body moisturizer. The result is brighter, more radiant skin tone all over. I make sure I use it consistently a few days before a big night's out - it makes a difference in the pictures. Too bad I can't use it for the face, but that's alright, that's why they have store bought vitamin C serum.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2012 8:41:00 AM More reviews by josie13

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using vitamin C homemade serum for over two weeks and I love it.
I bought a large size of pure ascorbic acid from the health food store and the first time I mixed 1/8 tsp of ac with 2tsp of water and I applied it to my face, neck and chest. It dried to a whitish powder and I rinsed it off because it felt really gritty. I also noticed a dark pigmentation spot under my eye got darker and I was reluctant to use it again.
After a couple days the spot faded somewhat so I thought I'd give it another try. This time I mixed the ac with Reviva Rosewater spray. This really worked because the rosewater spray has glycerin and hayaluronic acid plus lots of other really good ingredients. The serum glided on my skin, did not leave a gritty residue and I did not have to rinse it off. I was able to use my moisturiser on top of it.
I make the serum fresh every day. It's so simple; 1/8 tsp of ac and 2tsp of Reviva rosewater spray. My skin has responded extremely well. It's glowing and the texture is much more refined.
I also make sure I rub some serum on the back of my hands. It is an excellent treatment.

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2012 10:45:00 AM More reviews by babythequeen

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

A must have for your skin care routine. It does amazing things for the skin. I have old acne pigmentation that shows up when I stop using this.. as soon as I use it again, my skin evens out. My only tip is not to make the serum too strong. If it feels overly itchy and burning, you have made it too strong and it will irritate and potentially breakout your skin. A formulation that causes very mild tingling that goes away in a few minutes is what I find works best and offers the greatest benefit. Also, I use a dark colored spray bottle so that I can quickly spray this all over my face, neck, and chest. LOVE!

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2012 12:37:00 PM More reviews by getta

I would like to thank everyone for writing a review on this. I purchased the NOW brand and make a 10% solution in a base of Chinese green tea. (that has soaked for about 2-8 hours) and cooled downed. Green tea is also a powerful antioxidant.
So thats
5grams in 50ml

I have noticed that my face is brighter, my darks spots have faded. It is even helping the active acne. The active acne have all went away. Which is great because I dont have to use another product to treat that. My fiance told me not to stop using it. Its amazing. Thats means alot because I have had acne since I was 11, I am now 32. Our weddign is in four months and this gives me hope.

I was usign this solution (10%) with my La Roche Anthelios sunscreen and it was fine. I switched to the Mary Kay sunscreen because its lighter and now its reacting with the 10% vit C toner.

I will use the toner at night before I use my Mary Kay night solution. I do not want to change anything. I hope it does not affect the efficacy fo the night solution which is awesome! ( will write a review fro that to)

I have been usign this for one 2 weeks, but will write an update every month.

01May2012: OKAY So i reduced the concentration to 7%. I think it was to strong. It works great. My colleague said my face was so bright and tight like I had work done. I can feel the collagen building effects. My face feels firmed. Its weird. I use it during the day before my sunscreen. I can't wait to see it full effects in three months. I have made it for my sister and my colleague. Thank you MUA. I will keep you posted.

03May2012: I went to get a facial today, and my esthetician told me that my face felt full. She has been giving me facials monthly for the past two year. No I did not put on any weight. I actually lost 6 pounds. Its the vitamin c actually building collagen. This stuff is amazing.

14May2012: My face is awesome. Something drastically happened in teh past two weeks. I have had only 2 pimples in the past two weeks which is awesome. My face is golden. The spots are 90% goen and constantly flaking off everyday. I love this stuff. My friend that works in my company told me that My face looks gorgeous. At this rate I might not need make up for the wedding. THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE THAT POSTED A REVIEW. IM SO INDEBTED TO YOU ALL. 7% seems to be my magic number for the concentration of toner. I will keep it there. I also take about 2500 mg of vitamin in divided doses daily. I think this helps the inflammatory process inside the body.
23may2012: Okay so I noticed that since I changed to the 7%, I did not notice the glow in my skin anymore and the rate of scar removal was very slow. My skin is not reverting, but it not on that steady incline of improval that I saw previously. When I used the 10% solution, I soaked my cotton in it, and gently padded it on my face. When I used the 7%, I had to wipe it 2-3 times over, which is not good. Also the collagen building effects is not apparent at the 7% concentration. I went back to the 10% and it did not burn.

*****The key to not burning or stripping your skin with this is to pat it, and not wipe it. YOu will remove skin if you wipe. I will update you in one month**

07June2012: The 10% was burning so bad. My skin was so red.So made a new serum. 5ml glycerin, 5ml vitamin distilled water, and 1 gram vitamin c. Thats a 10% solution

12June2012: I broke out in 4 pimple. I knew it was due to the glycerin. My skin was so supple though. Now I understand why people rave about mixing glycerin. I have never had moisturized skin like that, but I have to stop. I stopped the vitamin c solution all together for my skin to heal. My skin is so sensitive and I know its because of the vitamin c. I am using retin a, so the combined effects are crazy. I was not using retin a, I would be able to tolerate the vitamin c more. I dont know about 10%, but more.

25July2012: So my skin is doing very very very well. I just needed to give it time to repair itself. I stopped using my retin a since 12June2012. I started mary kay night solution on 18June2012. My skin is so healthy with no acne. I think I was OVEREXFOLIATING WITH VITAMIN C AND RETIN A. PLEASE DO NOT OVEREXFOLIATE YOUR SKIN- CHEMICALLY OR PHYSICALLY.

01July2012: So I started a biweekly vitamin c mask. I started on 23July2012. It 1/3 of an aloe plant (just pulp), 1/2 cucumber (pulp), blended together and make 1% solution vitamin c separately. I wash my face, put the 1% toner on. then put the pulp paste over it. leave on for 30-1hr. This brightens my skin, shrink my pores, and refines my face. Its just enough vitamin C I need.

Lesson learrned: LESS IS MORE. BE GENTLE WITH YOUR FACE.

05/24/2013: SO I am about 9.5 months pregnant and have been using this toner. It is amazing. Because I stopped my retinol regimen due to the pregnancy, I did not have much to use. I broke out bad between months 5-8. I started using just the vitamin C toner at 1-5% solution and my face is clear again. I love this toner. I really helped treat my melasma and tighten my pores. My face is so smooth and clear. So ladies that are pregnant, this is something that you can use on your face. Remember its fine, because its use vitamin C. The same vitamin c found in your multivitamin.

81 out of 85 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No