Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Loose Powder

3.6

(Titanium Dioxide 12% , Zinc Oxide 4.2%) Mica, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Stearate, Boron Nitride, Lauroyl Lysine, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxide

on 5/2/2012 1:52:00 PM

This is another supposedly gentle product that irritated the hell out of my skin. I'm guessing the Boron Nitride? Mica? I had used PF for years, albeit the pressed powders with little issue. I have tried this product a few times over the years, always coming back because of the promise of talc free and suitability for sensitive blemish prone skin. The coverage is very light, and on my 34 year old skin, very dry and almost chalky looking. I used my kabuki to apply, not the garbage brush that this comes with. The packaging is awkward, but if the product were right for me, I'd overlook it as I tend to load up a portable kabuki for my purse anyway and would not carry this in my purse.

Anyhow, this time around, after trying to stop using Bare Naturale in an attempt to see how it would help my skin, I tried this over my trusty (for now) Vichy NormaTient. I didn't like how it felt or looked. Dry, chalky, and it did not last, settled into dry spots and my baby wrinkles. Within 2 days, a new rash of cosmetic acne. So I put it away for a month, cleared up, and retried to be sure. Same reaction. So...into the bin with this. If I were to try another PF face powder, I'd go with the pressed powders so long as Boron Nitride wasn't an ingredient. After studying and comparing labels of things that work and don't with the list on zerozits, I have a strong hunch Boron Nitride, Bismulth Oxychloride, Isopropyl Myristate and perhaps Mineral Oil are doing my face in.

Boo :(

on 5/1/2012 3:41:00 AM

I have extremely acne-prone, combination skin. I spent the last five years caking on liquid foundation just to cover the redness but looking horrendous as a result. Then I decided to try using this mineral wear as a "second layer" to my liquid foundation, hoping it would reduce the cakeyness. I ended up discovering that it actually has considerable coverage, which I build up depending on the state of my skin. I no longer use liquid foundation whatsoever! :) It is positively marvelous compared to liquid foundation and it DOES not worsen my breakouts. Since basically everything does (dairy, wheat, hormones, stress, most cosmetic ingredients, not enough sleep), this is astounding to me. This makeup is not without fault, of course. My two main issues are these: 1) oxidation! It goes on as a flawless, pale dusting which perfectly matches my tone. By the end of the day the soap and water is orange when I wash my face. There isn't a huge orange-faced effect on my face itself, which is I guess the key thing, but on days where I build it up a lot to cover more acne, it definitely forms some dark patches. I've never found a foundation that doesn't oxidize, so I'm not complaining...this is definitely better than most, but still I wish it didn't do this! 2) A little too reflective for me. I can see why those with oily skin hate this product. I too get a lot of shine from it, so I wouldn't recommend it to those with oily skin. Still, I would definitely recommend this for girls with acne who don't want to be a cake-face. I would take a little shine but still FULL COVERAGE over cakeface full coverage any day! :) On those blissful days when my skin is clear, just a light dusting of this product makes my skin look like it was photoshopped to be even and luminescent. Packaging is horrible, as everyone else mentioned jaja

on 4/11/2012 6:24:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This review is for the shade "Soft Ivory."

I think PF is a little confused with this product. The packaging claims that it will have "the coverage of a foundation," but this had absolutely no coverage on my skin. My main concerns are some redness and some hyperpigmentation from old acne. This did nothing to cover or even slightly diminish the look of either. I applied 5 layers and got no evening out of my skintone at all. I tried applying with my EdM Flat Top Brush, my BE Full Flawless Face Brush, a concealer brush, and a sponge. Nada. It was like applying a translucent finishing powder.

Except it wasn't really translucent, which brings me to my second gripe. Despite having no coverage, this color was rather dark. It is called "Soft Ivory." Perhaps I'm working with the wrong definition of "ivory," but this gave my skin an odd orangey cast that made it look like I'd applied a sheer bronzer all over my face. It didn't look quite so dark when I swatched it on my neck/chest, but applied all over my face, it was an obvious difference. It was as if I'd applied a generous amount of self-tanner but didn't bother to do the rest of me.

The pros: the texture of the powder is very nice. It is soft, smooth, and finely-milled, and blends into the skin easily. It is neither completely matte, nor is it glowy; it is a skin-like, satiny finish. I cannot speak to breakouts or irritation, since I only wore it for about 10 minutes before taking it off. I noticed no itching while it was on, though, and it didn't feel heavy or cakey at all (which, despite the amount of layers I was wearing, I would certainly expect: there's no coverage!).

I think this would make a decent setting powder or a translucent mattifying powder if one were to find a natural-looking color match. However, this was a total fail as a mineral foundation, and the color is so far from "Ivory" it's laughable. I'll be returning it and won't repurchase.

on 4/2/2012 6:07:00 PM

I love love this powder. i have combination skin and this blends in great. it has actually helped my skin, as i dont need foundation when i use it and has dramatically decreased blemishes. definitely will purchase again

on 3/14/2012 12:05:00 AM

I had bought two shades of this powder because I wasn't sure which one I was going to be. I opened the darker of the two and it was way too light. It was so bad that it actually gave my skin a grey cast. It didn't buff into the skin very well either. And it had a little bit of shimmer in it. No thanks.

on 3/10/2012 1:46:00 PM

REALLY REALLY wanted this to work on me, but once again I have yet another reminder that physician's formula stuff is NOT for my sensitive skin type..I bought this to try it because I was originally interested in the entire Mineral Wear line and noticed this had the same but fewer ingredients as the pressed powder, so I took a minimalist approach and bought this first...I noticed that I am definitely allergic to something in this! I kept sneezing throughout the day and my face puffed up and all these allergic bumps became firm on my face! I washed it off immediately and my face puffiness went back down again..I have concluded that it is EITHER the boron nitride or the lauroyl lysine (a derivative of coconuts) that everyone is reacting to. These are in both the mineral loose and pressed powders, so I returned this product immediately and went back to my Neutrogena.

on 2/29/2012 10:43:00 AM

The only good thing about this powder is that it doesn't break me out. It doesn't give good coverage so I have to put it over either a liquid foundation or another powder, which I don't like. I also don't like that the color selection is so limited & in my opinion, can end up looking orange. I've tried a lot of Physicians Formula products & I cant never seem to get a good color match. It sucks because this happens to be one of the only makeup brands that will not cause me to break out.

Garbage quality...too expensive!! Its very talc like even thought its supposedly tac free. No coverage at all! Stinks! And it goes on chalky...yuck...nothing like a foundation powder. Never purchase this product!

on 2/5/2012 11:55:00 PM

Hair: Other, Other, Coarse

Paid 10.99 for it at CVS which you might think is kinda pricey for a drug store product but for the amount of product you get compare to my favorite bare minerals you are practically paying nothing for this product ( if you love this product that is )

The packaging is too big bulky and unpractical the brush that comes with it scratches my skin so I always end up throwing it away.

I usually just buy this product when I run out of my bare mineral's foundation and is on a tight budget, its the only mineral foundation that I can find that doesnt make my skin flare up or anything crazy like that. HOWEVER

this product can be a little too powdery sometimes so becareful when applying. and this powder is so messy once you open it, it flies all over the place. I can never really finish a whole container before I switch back for my bare minerals.

After finding out about MUA I dont think I will ever repurchase when I can just swap for a different foundation ;)

(currently have this product up for swap in buff beige)

The powder is wonderful! It covers wonderful, and it doesn't break me out! However, the packaging isn't to great, you get to much powder and the brush that comes with it sucks. So I use a different brush, but the product is wonderful. By far my favorite.