November 24, 2014 | 844 users online

Foundations - Urban Decay - Surreal Skin Mineral Makeup

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2009 9:27:00 PM More reviews by Fleet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I tested this out at the store and the other reviewers are right. The lightest shade, Illusion, is far too dark. I have NC15 skin and Illusion looks like it's for an NC25 or NC30. It's also extremely yellow tinted, which is fine if you have a lot of redness to even out, but on my neutral, slightly yellow-leaning tone this made me look jaundiced.

The packaging seemed really good. I liked how it had a lid, as well as a lock to keep powder from coming out of the puff. That was one of my major beefs with other mineral foundations: you can't take it anywhere without making a huge mess. I'm not a fan of puff applicators since they're not very sanitary, but it would be convenient for applying on the go. Also, the puff seemed to apply too much product at once, and I needed a brush to buff it out.

The texture was natural-matte, not that overly dewy look a lot of people complain about with mineral makeup. I'm pretty bummed it doesn't come in a lighter, neutral shade. Universal is supposed to be a more translucent powder that works on everyone, but I bet it doesn't have enough coverage since it is translucent. They didn't have it at the store for me to test anyway. Make a lighter shade, UD, and I may buy it. So, this has been yet another disappointing mineral foundation. Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Cream foundation is still my HG.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2009 4:45:00 PM More reviews by sparkdido

This is the first mineral cosmetic I've got, and it works very good for me. Firstly I thought maybe the mineral foundation was good for the oily skin, I'm kind of normal to dry. It has really good coverage~! keeps for such a long time~! howerver...the "brush" is baaaaaaaad.....i don't know how to clean it~! everytime I use MAC 187(or other flat brush) to apply it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2009 5:12:00 PM More reviews by LauraMichelle1515

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

The best foundation i have tried so far!
I wanted to buy a mineral foundation for the summer so my face didnt slide everywhere in the heat, I was stuck between bare minerals (Which i got a sample of) and UD. After all the good reviews on here i decided to go for UD's mineral foundation and i've been amazed!! Stay on my face all day (Primer used) and it gives this gorgeous dewy look with great coverage. I got the lightest shade and its perfect (Would recommend for people with yellow under tones).
I'm starting to think Urban Decay Cosemtics are better then MAC!
If your thinking about trying it, go for it!
EDIT: I still like the foundation but the colour isnt the best. Has a yellow tinge on me. Better for people with yellow undertones.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2009 5:55:00 PM More reviews by jthiara

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this foundation! My skin looks and feels great! I don't use the puff that comes with the bottle. I just use my Everyday Minerals flat top brush and it applies evenly. I've always been hesitant to use mineral makeup because I felt that it wouldn't be enough coverage. UD covers up all of my flaws and dark marks without looking caked on. To cover up a more noticable blemish, I just use a small concealer brush and dab a little extra on that spot. I've been using this makeup for about a year and a half now and have actually seen an improvement in my skin! I don't get oily in the middle of the day like I did when I would use a liquid foundation. Overall, I love this makeup and will continue to re-purchase!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2009 2:26:00 PM More reviews by Evilyn1983

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I LOVE THIS PRODUCT!
I have already gone through my 3rd jar of it and will be buying more. I stopped using the attached puff simply because I wanted to get use out of my brushes, although i had no problem using the puff. I would wash it onc eit got dirty though, and then would put it back on. In using the brushes, I find that the product is used up faster...or maybe I'm using too much? Either way, I started using TRANCE and after attending the Laker Parade at the Los Angeles Coliseum, after 5 hours in the sun, I turned a shade darker. So I have half a jar of Trance left over for when I lose the tan, and am now using Hallucination. LOVES IT!!! I do see a dermatologist regularly, and even she commented on how wonderful the makeup was on me. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2009 5:32:00 AM More reviews by gyakutengrrl

I have never used mineral makeup before and haven't had much success in the past with powders as I have quite dry skin and they always looked awful and caked on. However, this is truely unlike any other powder I have ever bought!
Ok, so the packaging isn't great. It makes application really tricky with the huge sponge on the top of the sifter - it's not easy to distribute the product around the eyes using the sponge like this. It's generally ok if you peel the sponge off or take the lid off and use a brush, but then the powder gets everywhere which is a nuisance.
I got this powder in "Illusion" shade (this was the lightest shade I could find in the UK), and I am surprised at how dark and yellow it looks in the pot. Once on it's not so dark on me, but people who are really pale might struggle. I'm so glad I bought the lightest shade and not medium-light!
So, aside from a few practical application issues, the product itself is amazing. Since I started using it, my skin has never felt so soft and when the product is on it makes my skin look so clear. I am absolutely wow-ed by this powder. I have quite ruddy nose/cheeks and always find it difficult to hide the redness, so didn't hold out much hope for this product - I was so wrong! :D
A bit more expensive than what I would normally spend on powders, but I would definitely go out and buy it again - a real hidden gem!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2009 6:43:00 AM More reviews by monsterbeans

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This was my first foray into mineral makeup. I gave up with UD's liquid Surreal Skin as I found out it contained triethanolamine, and whilst I don't normally take any notice of 'health scares' like that, the stuff I found on the MSDS sheet and from many sources made me think it wasn't great to have it on my skin everyday.
Unfortunately, most liquid makeups contain substances like this, so I decided to try mineral. My choice is limited as I refuse to buy products tested on animals or owned by companies who test, so I stuck with what I knew, Urban Decay.

In the liquid Surreal Skin I wore 'Dream' all year round. Whilst the shade names are the same for both the liquid and mineral, the mineral shades are slightly darker, so I bought the lightest shade, 'Illusion'.

I love the coverage, as it is buildable. Its probably the bismuth (I haven't experienced a reaction yet. I suffer from eczema on my body but my face is pretty resilient) that gives a glow to counteract the matte powder aspect of mineral makeup. But my skin does look truly flawless and not fake in this. I hesitate to say, but maybe its my Holy Grail foundation?

I wasn't sure how mineral makeup would 'stick' to my skin so I took the tub with me on the first day I wore it, a 10 hour shift at work on the hottest day in the UK so far!
Amazingly, it stayed on. The only areas it mildly caked were around my undereye area (solved by putting concealer on before, not after the makeup) and around my nose, which was easily gotten rid of by my finger.

I haven't gone clubbing in it yet, so maybe that will be the true test of this makeup!

To apply, I peel the sponge from the sifter and tap the powder into the lid and use my skunk brush (I haven't got a kabuki) to apply, then stretch the sponge back over. But I do like the sponge thing, I think it will come in handy for touchups, travel and festivals.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: I found a mini kabuki and tried this with that. It was baaaad...streaky and cakey, the skunk brush is so much lighter and softer, and easier to layer.

Perhaps this isn't my holy grail after all. I love it, but I have discovered a local company in the UK (Barefaced Beauty) and want to try their products. When my UD mineral is finished, I will try that. But I still give it 5 stars.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/23/2009 12:06:00 AM More reviews by kabukiKILLER

I like this stuff, but I don't love it. This foundation looks great when I first put it on. I use Illusion-fair. After a few hours, it gets kind of cakey and uneven, even with primer. That is weird because I sweat a lot less on my face than that average person. It might just be me, but I think I'm sticking with liquid or creme-to-powder make up. The packaging is great, but I don't think this product is worth 30 bucks.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/20/2009 2:41:00 AM More reviews by skribblez

They gave me a mini makeover at the Urban Decay counter today since I wanted to try mineral foundation. I loved the look of this. There was good coverage without feeling "heavy" and it felt like I had no make up on. It didn't feel drying or oily and was just right. However, I brushed my fingers against my face later and there was a pimple forming on my cheek! I found two more near the same area. I rarely get pimples or break out. I was so excited to use this product but it will be going back right away. It breaks me out. I have sensitive, dry skin and I guess my skin just didn't like this product too much. I think this would be good for other people though -maybe my skin is just too sensitive! I'm pretty bummed because I loved the look. I never even got to enjoy this product or open the box =(

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2009 12:04:00 AM More reviews by aamna_601

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this product. I mean, love. Mineral makeup (EM, BE, even LM, EL and higher end versions etc.) never worked for me; one that I do like is MAC mineralize loose powder foundation but I found that Id like a little bit more color and I find the color selection very limited in MAC (also, with my oily skin, I find it to have good but not great lasting power).
So, on to Surreal skin. In the past I first found UD to have just very teeny bopper stuff (nasty glitter everywhere, including swimming on top of my pupil in my eye due to midnight cowboy eyeshadow for instance), left me thinking never again would I try UD. But I do religiously use UDPP (who doesn't?) and I love the 24/7 half baked glide on pencil, its become the pencil I reach for daily for the past month. So I decided to give this a try, and Im so glad I did. It gives a more creamy/perfect skin look without being even a LITTLE bit cakey. I honestly could not tell I had any makeup on; without makeup however my face looks pale and washed out due to sunscreen and retinoids whereas my neck and arms are more of a healthy light olive. This merely minimized my pores and lines while matching the face/neck colors. It was really amazing. Much better coverage (light but truly buildable) vs the MAC mineralized loose mmu, and it has a REALLY good color range even though there are only 5 or 6 colors. For reference, my face is a lot lighter (NW 20 ish but neck is about MW25-30), and Hallucination seemed to match them both. I like the packaging better than MAC too (not a big fan of UD's purple-ness admittedly) but the MAC one always has me fearing that the top twisty part will come loose and Ill spill all my mmu in my makeup bag, even though there is an airtight twist (the airtight twist is easily reversible though). UD on the other hand is a click open click close puff pad and I really like that better. Also, its transparent so you can see all the time how much is left. Plus, you can dip a foundation brush in or sponge and apply that way as well (for instance, I sprayed a sponge with Fix+ and then touched it lightly in the powder and applied, and got a *truly flawless application* that lasted over 8 hours).

Very impressed. Will continue to use this foundation for as long as it works for me. If I ever have to switch to something else (becoz of UD d/c or my skin changing) I would be incredibly sad. I am slowly becoming more of a UD convert (got like six eyeshadows as well :p )

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No