October 22, 2014 | 1820 users online

Lipstick - New York Color - 309B Sheer Red

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2010 9:05:00 PM More reviews by jesslla

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

When I first tried makeup as a teenager I hated the thickness, texture, smell, and taste of lipstick on my lips. This lipstick has completely won me over. It's smooth, creamy, light, has no discernible taste and a very mild scent. It reminded me of lip balm.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/14/2010 7:19:00 PM More reviews by RosemarysBabby

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Nice sheer (duh! it's in the name) berry red that is very wearable. Glossy, but not over the top, finish. A real winner at 99 cents. This color is exactly like MAC's Spice it Up, though if you're a lipstick snob and prefer a name brand. Beautiful color.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2010 7:07:00 PM More reviews by watsonsmummy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm a red lipstick fanatic and thought I'd try this after seeing it come up in so many posts. I like the subtle berry scent. The lipstick goes on smoothly with a shiny but not greasy looking finish. After a couple hours it started feeling tacky but lots of lipsticks do that on me for whatever reason. Overall, gives a nice "bitten" flush to the lips and is a pleasant alternative to my heavier, opaque reds.

I have Lipstick Queen Medieval coming in the mail. I'm curious to see how they compare.

EDIT 3/18/10: I tried Medieval and I like Sheer Red better! Medieval went kind of orange on me and the moisturizer felt greasy. Not to mention it costs 25x the price of Sheer Red (with shipping).

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2010 11:45:00 PM More reviews by lavenderbleu

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

LOVE IT! This is a really pretty, wearable red that is creamy and moisturizing. It smells and tastes perfectly fine which is surprising for such a cheap product. Yes, the packaging is not the best because you can't twist the product down into the tube. However, the pros far outweight the cons. You just can't go wrong with this at $.99.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2010 2:48:00 PM More reviews by DinahT

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Sheer Red is a red lipstick that anyone can wear. The color is buildable. If you want a really sheer application, use lipbalm first. For a semi-translucent look, use a lip brush. For full impact, apply the lipstick directly to your lips without balm or brush. It also looks great with a dab of gloss over it to give it more shine. As other reviewers have stated, it doesn't turn fuschia on your lips (I do have that problem with Ruby). On my lips, the color is a true blue-red, not at all brick colored like it looks. Definitely worth a try, especially at this price.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2009 3:30:00 AM More reviews by maomaouchi

OMG?! I got this on a whim because I am an amateur to red lips and wanted to try a red lippie out before I committed to a HE one. This was $0.98 at Walmart and it is actually really awesome! I like that the color is buildable. One layer will give you a sheer red (like the name...) while layering it gives a totally rich, brick brown look that is just so flattering on me (I'm NC20-25). What a steal! Best of all though, it's semi-matte but is REALLY moisturizing and smooth. It honestly wears like a HE lippee. It feels like lip balm and has a nice scent/taste...not overpowering at all and actually kind of pleasant. I really don't think you can go wrong with this, especially since it's less than a dollar! What a great buy!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2009 11:35:00 AM More reviews by thecharm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This is a total steal. It's brick red in the tube, opaque creamy blue-red on lips. Yes, it is sheer in comparison to its tube color, but it's not translucent--it is pigmented on lips. I love it because, inexplicably, it doesn't turn fuschia on my lips. I'm NW15 and this shade just makes my skin look like cream. I do like that the lid is clear so you can see the lipstick color accurately, but I don't like how cheap the packaging looks or that the lipstick doesn't fully retract. Still, great for special occasions.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2009 2:14:00 PM More reviews by Hisoneandonly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This lipstick has the texture of a rich balm. I love the way it feels on my lips. Sheer red is truly sheer. I was hesitant to buy thinking that the color that you see in the tube could in any way be sheer.

When I put it on not only did it feel great but found that it is the sheer red that I have been looking for but in lipstick form! The best thing is that I got this for .49. They are normally .99 but they were on sale. The packaging is cheap and you have to be careful putting the cap back on but this is not a deal breaker for me because the color is perfect!

It wouldn't be a bad idea to exfoliate really well the night before since the red emphasizes rougher patches.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2009 6:03:00 PM More reviews by shannon804

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a lovely color that starts off sheer and builds to more opaque coverage. I wanted to love it but I can't. The packaging is atrocious for all the reasons stated by others and on me it wears horribly, leaving patches of color after only thirty minutes or so. It's not bad for 99 cents, but if I could do it again, I'd put the 99 cents toward a more worthwhile lippie like revlon's, loreal's, or Mac Russian red.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2009 3:49:00 AM More reviews by Missdawn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have strayed away from red lipsticks for years because I have not been able to find one that I like against my olive skin tone and I've tried so many h/e and d/s. I kept reading all the wonderful reviews on here about this color so one day I figured I'd try it. I took one swipe of this and fell in love! Its the perfect red for me. I've heard that it looks great against almost all skin tones. ITS MAGIC! LOL I don't rebuy too many products but IF I ever get through a whole tube of this I definately would rebuy.

The only thing I don't like is the packaging. The product doesn't swivel all the way back down in to the tube so you have to be extremely careful when putting the lid back on or you'll knick your lipstick.