April 20, 2014 | 1521 users online

Moisturizers - Sweet Almond Oil

rated 4 of 5 on 10/20/2010 5:36:00 PM More reviews by Carybear

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Years ago I was using Sweet Almond Oil to moisturize my skin. I had clear, soft, gleaming skin...but I thought it was due to everything but the Sweet Almond Oil. I would just put a few drops on after applying BP lotion. A few years have passed and my skincare routine has changed dramatically from the days of Proactiv...most moisturizers cause annoying millia and breakouts. I have tried Jojoba oil...I am just not getting the results I want. It hasn't broken me out but when I use it I still get clogged pores, ( you know the little bumps you can feel on your skin when you're washing your face...clogged pores) however they dont become inflamed (unless I pick which I am wont to do) so...I am going back to using SAO. What have I got to lose? It certainly removes makeup better than jojoba oil, and since Ive read the more recent reviews about SAO here I do notice that a few years ago my dark circles were certainly alot lighter. I looked less tired. I will update in 4 weeks.
****some time later in 2011****
Newp. Hated it. It was not the SOA. Clogged my pores, relegated to bodycare duty, caused pimples on my chest. That is why I stopped using it, it's not for me.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2010 11:06:00 AM More reviews by jikla

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Hazel

i've been using almond oil for the past 3 months for my dark circles and it really works!!!!!my eyes look brighter and more awake!i'll definitely buy this baby again!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2010 2:10:00 AM More reviews by Asianbarbiee91

Amazing, holistic, and versatile beauty product.
I use this as a cleansing oil (I returned my Shu Uerma cleansing oil after not seeing a difference between the two).
I use this without water to rub all my makeup off before I sleep. It works excellent at removing waterproof and stubborn makeup. I use a cleanser with warm water after this.
After incorporating this into my daily regime, I noticed my combo skin more balanced than before. I don't experience any of the dry, tightness I usually experience after using a regular cleanser to wash my face. The usual dry spot on my face don't tug or feel tight when I use ths oil. My oily t-zone doesn't shine as much- ironically, it controls the oil on my face..though I wouldn't recommend using this as a moisturizer on breakouts.
I also use this as a facial/bodymoisturizer from time to time, not only as a cleansing oil. Its all natural (atleast the one from GNC is).
Sometimes I mix this in my shampoo/conditioner for extra treatment and shine. I've noticed positive differences.
This is such an affordable, natural product without any unnecessary chemicals, parabens, and additives. I didn't like it at first but love it after learning how to use it more properly. A huge bottle was only 9.99

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2010 2:46:00 AM More reviews by shilohcalista

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been testing various carrier oils in my beauty regime for the past two years and this is the tenth different oil I have tried. Having been around the block with oils, so to speak, I know how to use them- a little goes a long way. I have found almond oil pleasant (like most oils) but not nearly moisturizing enough for my dehydrated dry skin. Didn't give me the glow I get with my other favorite oils.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2010 7:17:00 AM More reviews by yum_yum

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Great body moisturiser for extra dry skin. Does not sink in as fast as jojoba oil, but moisturisation is deeper and I use a lot less. Best on my legs after shaving (followed by petroleum jelly) because my skin gets sore and sensitive and needs the extra protection. Leaves my skin really smooth. I wouldn't use this on my face, except maybe to remove makeup, and then I'd follow with a facial wash to remove oily residue. A bargain online and great for dry, sensitive skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2010 7:58:00 AM More reviews by kerish345

Moisturizer addict here!! I am an avid user of Sweet Almond Oil.
I am somewhat crazy abt my feet,recently started taking care of my hand as well. I bought a bottle of Sweet almond oil in my grocery store after watching a Dr Oz show. The show was about former models and their beauty regime that kept them looking 10 years younger than actual age. Bevelry Johnson stated that she uses almond oil on her skin....so I was on it!!
My main reason for teh purchase was to correct the damages done to my hands, they looked like hands of a 45 yr old!!
I applied almond oil liberally and used a moisturizing glove nightly.I was pleasantly suprised that withing 3 days my hands where looking smooth and even toned.I also used some on my feet as well..amazing resul
I store the unused portion in the refridgerator.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2010 6:47:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

- Skip down to 'Final Consensus' for short summary of overall thoughts on product -

UPDATED REVIEW: As experienced by another user, this oil caused some hair loss. Once I stopped using it in my shampoo/conditioner, my fallout was greatly reduced after just one day of removing it from my routine. I have used it on my body and found it's not as moisturizing as I'd like. Reduced my rating from a 5 to a 3 for the hair loss and it not being hydrating enough on my body, as well as breaking me out (face and body).

About the Product:
Sweet almond oil is a lightweight oil, often used in aromatherapy massage due to its texture and consistency, good absorption rate and non-greasy residue on the skin. While light, it is supposed to be a great oil for moisture loss, making it a great choice for dry skin as well as dehydrated skin. To be noted: It does not absorb quickly, so it is more suitable to nightly use on the body. Filled with many vitamins and good fats. Definitely one of the more versatile vegetable oils out there!

Uses:
Hair - Not for me. While it did leave my hair feeling soft, it also caused hair loss! I'd recommend using it as a pre-shampoo oil treatment or combined with shampoo to help prevent dryness.

Moisturizer - Not hydrating enough on my body unless used with other products. I've used it (generously) on my feet and was left with dry skin. On my face, it broke me out quite a bit, not just in pustules but in various forms of breakouts. Recommend it to be used on wet skin.

Makeup remover - Not for me. Oils leave my eyes too blurry, and this one did cause some irritation. Use as a normal remover.

Packaging:
All that I have seen have come in plain plastic bottles. Some come in clear plastic, others, like NOW Foods brand, come in dark bottles. I recommend looking for a brand that sells theirs in a dark bottle, otherwise switch it out into a different dark (preferably glass) bottle. Has a cap that is pretty ineffective for cosmetic use, as it's difficult to really ensure you are dispensing the amount that you want.

Smell:
Honestly, I don't really notice that much of a smell with this oil. I guess it is on the nutty side, but it's not all that strong. I adore this fact, as it does not leave my hair smelling odd, nor does it change the scent of my conditioner. When I do notice the scent, it is quite pleasant.

Consistency:
While it is pretty light, and not overly greasy, it does look quite oily on the skin and does take a while to absorb. Has a clear colour, somewhat runny. In my hair, it leaves a slight residue on the hair shaft, but it seems as though most gets absorbed. Does not weigh my hair down, either.

Ease of Use:
Because of the poor packaging, it can be a pain to use, especially because you can get oil on the cap itself. I found that shaking the bottle around before use made it run out much faster, so unless you want to use a large amount, simply gently squeeze it. I'd recommend switching to a dropper bottle if you can! Because it is clear, it may be difficult to work with in terms of visually, but I don't really have many issues with this. It is quite smooth, so if used on the face, it's very easy to gently massage it onto the skin with large amounts without feeling any tugging or pulling.

Bang for your Buck:
While prices may vary, I paid about $5.00CAD for 4oz. The 16oz bottle from the same brand costs about $15.00CAD, which is just slightly cheaper than the 4oz bottle of jojoba oil. Great price for a very versatile oil, and definitely one that should be checked out simply due to being so wonderfully priced! It does expire within a year after purchase, so invest in the smallest bottles first.

Final Consensus:
A trickier oil due to its possible negative effects. Recommended for hair and body use as it is quite cheap, and seems to work well for many people. If used for hair care, I'd recommend avoiding it on the scalp area.
- Pros: Very cheap, smooth, leaves hair feeling very soft and hydrated, feels nice on the skin without looking overly oily or greasy, no scent.
- Cons: Breaks me out, caused hair fallout, not hydrating enough on my body, poor packaging, irritating to the eyes.

Overall Rating: 3/5
Price: 1/5
Packaging Quality: 2/5
Would you buy this product again: No.

23 out of 33 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2010 1:31:00 PM More reviews by RevengaSweet

It cost me 9 dollars for a big, 16 oz. bottle. It makes my skin look beautiful! Buy this stuff!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2010 5:24:00 PM More reviews by MsAzNqTpRiNcEsS

wow! this worked very well in removing my eye makeup...didnt sting...didnt feel greasy & washed off easily with water...just soak a cotton ball and swipe...i took off my contacts prior to using this tho....very cheap and effective!!! im also using this as a moisturizer right after a shower. Soaks in well & does not feel oily on my skin at all

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2010 8:42:00 PM More reviews by jrwright

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Have put this in baths, and used as a moisturizer for body. Great for massages, leaves skin so smooth, not greasy, and takes only a few minutes to soak in. Very pleased. :)