October 25, 2014 | 901 users online

Mascara - Yves Saint Laurent - Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils

rated 1 of 5 on 7/11/2012 10:41:00 AM More reviews by Paisleyrose57

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I used Volume Effet Faux Cils for years, it was my go-to mascara until I got made redundant a couple of years ago- back then the only thing I could fault was that it dried out so quickly! Apart from that it was worth the money as it gave me luxuriously long and thick eyelashes without a hint of smudging and was far superior to any other mascara availiable at that time. Today it is a different story...

I recently started a new job and thought I would treat myself to my once favourite mascara. The packaging was the same, as was the tube and brush. When I opened the tube, the smell was still as potent as it was a few years back. I was positive that my eyes would look as glamorous as they did back then.

I used to love the formula because although it would give you stunning lashes it was buildable, so you could have natural looking lashes during the day then take them through to the night just by adding more coats of mascara.

Unfortunately, this is not possible anymore. Yes, the formula is still buildable BUT it is impossible to get through at least an hour without looking like I've done two rounds with Mike Tyson... Not really the look I was going for. Therefore, I take wet wipes with me wherever I go and routinely wipe under my eyes to keep them free of smudges and looking tidy, which also isn't something I was planning to do. Talk about high maintenance, it really isn't worth the effort.

The smudging has annoyed me so much that I can't even be bothered to describe the mascaras effect on the lashes. It's pointless.

To top things off, the formula still dries very quickly (about a month), but this is something I would be willing to tolerate if the results of the mascara were still amazing.

Conclusion:

Something about the formula has definitely changed, the unsightly smudging is too much for me to bear and is a definite deal breaker. I am disappointed that Yves Saint Laurent have changed a product that (for me at least) didn't need to be improved upon. They are just alienating loyal customers. I am not willing to spend so much money on a mascara to end up looking like a panda bear. Not impressed and this is the very last time I purchase this mascara.

There are much better mascaras on the market than this.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/1/2012 3:37:00 PM More reviews by roguttmann

in the past i tried the purple version and the smell bothered my nose all day long + made my eyes shed tears.
i bought the black one because it was on a very good price and i wanted to see what everybody talks about.
it still smelly, but not like the purple one. the formula is to thick in my opinion. it doesn't do anything special that a "simple" mascara wouldn't do. gives a bit length, a bit thickness and that's it.
after a few hours (in the sun or in an air-conditioned place it's smudges beneath the eyes.
i never managed to use the brush without dyeing my eyelids. never!
if you shower with, it's partially "melts" in a way that you need to "dig" the mascara stuff around your eyeball.

A BIG NO FOR THIS MASCARA!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/26/2012 11:35:00 AM More reviews by Carmen274

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have bought this one before, but stoped using it after I believe this one dries out to fast, and the brush is to big for my lashes/eyes. The mascara is muddy and hard to lay without looking sticky (spider-eyes). I did for some stupid reason buy this one again for $30, and it's not worth it.
I use a eyelash comb, to comb my lashes after applying this one.
The thing i like is the color. It gives an intense black color that not all mascaras dowill not buy again!

The packaging looks fine though, but obviously not good enough since the mascara dries out to fast.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/14/2012 2:48:00 PM More reviews by uniqsol11

This mascara actually does add that "LUSH" factor to my lashes! I start out with straight, undefined lashes and end up with movie star red carpet looking lashes.

I will say, it does nothing for the straight factor. However, it does add a great amount of volume without looking as though I have gobs of mascara coating my lashes. It's a great thicker look!
BTW, the scent is wonderful. I read that elsewhere & thought "huh?", but it's true. Maybe a bit like a sweet lip balm...but in a mascara!

I purchased from Nordstrom's on-line site & paid about $30. It was packaged in a simple box, with instructions included. (Don't worry, it isn't a "process", just a recommended method for use.) Initially my brush was a little flat, but after one "official" use, it fanned out slightly & became more user friendly.

If this added curl to the volume, it would be my absolute top pick (thus the "4" rating instead of "5"). For now, it is my second in command.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2012 5:48:00 PM More reviews by agibeault

This will set you back about $41 in Canada. I don't REGRET buying this, but I will definitely not buy it again and I'm kind of relieved it didn't work for me due to the price tag. I purchased this in Noir Radicale which is VERY dramatic if you want it to be. The issue is that you look like a raccoon by the end of the day, even if you weren't sweating or eyes watering. This is actually the worst mascara I have ever used with respect to smudging. Happens for me about 4 - 5 hours in. That being said, I LOVE the way this makes my lashes look until it fails ....pity about the formula. Others have said they had a hard time removing this...I didn't have any trouble at all. A few splashes of warm water gets it off the lashes (but leaves it under the eyes), then I use my Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Cleanser to take it off completely. For reference, my lashes are long and sparse, somewhat of a natural curl but I use a curler every day.

The search for the perfect mascara continues :)

rated 3 of 5 on 6/6/2012 1:14:00 PM More reviews by butterflylcsw

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Don't get the hype. Looks pretty at first, but then the curl droops and my lashes look shorter than they really are. For $30, it should hold the curl at least.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2012 12:21:00 PM More reviews by elleLuv5

Probably the best mascara I have ever used. It gives fuller looking lashes and lasts all day. Unlike other mascaras (expensive and cheap), this doesn't transfer under my eye bags after a full day of wearing (not even with a little humidity). Like most, the price is the one thing that prevents me from purchasing this all the time. I'm more likely to a buy a few in a year as opposed to everytime I need a new one, which is every couple of weeks or so. Also, it takes a long time to remove the product off and I often wake up in the morning with more to wash off, that's a amall price to pay for fuller looking lashes. I just wish the actual price itself wasn't $30.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2012 11:10:00 AM More reviews by KrissyGirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have used so many mascaras and I dont know why i bother trying any other brand. I have used Dior show(every single version of it), Chanel,lancome and even drug store brands like rimmel(almost as good as diorshow FYI) but nothing compare to YSL. Its so expensive so im always trying to find something comparable for under $30 bucks but i don't know why i bother. This is simply the best. I recently got 3 of them at Nordstrom for their mascara event, buy 2 get one free. It really makes my eyes pop, and makes my lashes look more voluminous. I have long thick eye lashes to begin with so this really makes them stand out. I recommend this to everyone. I cant believe that some people don't like it, ive never heard of anyone not liking it.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/20/2012 6:08:00 AM More reviews by miamiamaria

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I bought the duo pack (it had the mascara + the Instant Eye Make-Up Remover).
I hate this mascara- it doesn't give me volume nor length. It does give me beautiful panda eyes and the occasional flakiness, though.
The formula is very dry and my lashes look terrible after using it.
I tried to use it for 3 weeks... pure torture.
I'm gutted because it was expensive and the packaging is adorable.

P.S. The make-up remover is way too oily for my liking.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/17/2012 7:26:00 AM More reviews by LishWilliams

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was so excited when I got this for my birthday a few years ago. i couldnt weight to have beautiful full lashes. Yes it gave me those full lashes I wanted, but buy the end of the day half of the mascara was underneath my eyes and 3 weeks later the brush dried and and all the brittles were stuck together. 3 weeks...19 wasnt worth it at all. I was gutted.