November 1, 2014 | 1338 users online

Fragrances - Yves Saint Laurent - Nu

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2003 9:21:00 AM More reviews by trae1020

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This fragrance is not for the tame of heart... sexy and bold is how I feel when I wear this.
I'm not good at picking out scents but on me it smells spicy yet sweet. It definitely seems like a "cool weather" scent although I will probably wear in the warmer months as well because I love it so much. Edit 5/8/04: Ok, my new boyfriend HATES this fragrance. However, I still love it! I just won't wear it around him :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2003 5:41:00 PM More reviews by desiree_e

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is dark, sexy, and strong..

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2003 7:25:00 PM More reviews by DearAlexandra

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I agree with the other reviewer who described the initial moments as "chaotic", although as she too noted, it develops nicely and irons out its kinks. On me this is a spicy, slightly citrus (oranges and cloves) coffee. Gourmand but not in a simple cupcake way. Belongs on the shelf next to Sacrebleu!, Addict, Sacre, Dolce Vita, Coco, etc.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2003 11:13:00 AM More reviews by msp12

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Oh, I love a good floriental. The reviews for Nu are intriguing, as it seems that the fragrance notes are revealed on some but not others. Nu's opening is indeed a spicy chaos on my skin, and there are recurring moments when the spices cannot be picked apart, only to disperse again into pepper, cardamom and hints of cinnamon and clove. After 10 or 15 minutes, a heady confrontation ensues between rising incense and spice. Just when you think you cannot stand this fragrant dirge and longer, sweet jasmine begins to sing from a distance and slowly lifts the composition from moody fits and starts. I have not sniffed a fragrant orchid in a while so I cannot say how Nu renders it, but what I detect as jasmine grows into a spicy lily on my skin, poised above humming incense and spice. All in all, a new and exciting fragrance for me that I would put next to Caron's Parfum Sacre and Parfums Delrae Amoureuse. The only reason why I give Nu a 4 is that it is somewhat thin on my skin despite its complex development. It also has a cold and 'modern' quality about it--perfect for black pants and striking lipstick, but also lacking in the warmth and body (or roundness, for lack of a better word) that I often seek in spicy fragrances.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2003 12:37:00 AM More reviews by tigrushka

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Grey, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

"Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue" Nu is all this: an old-fashioned femme fatale scent in a sleek modern round bottle, it has an element familiar from Shalimar (at least to my nose) and if it were a colour, it would be blackish blue! Nu is the scent those flower-nicknamed "deadlier than the male" film noir dames (Black Orchid, Blue Dahlia) would wear: soft but spicy, powdery but peppery, alluring and dangerous...

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2003 9:35:00 AM More reviews by gillyflower

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

it took me a while to break out and buy a bottle of this. I had recieved a sample with purchase in Paris and thought WOW! this smells like s-e-x. So, I kept spraying it on in department stores trying to decide. I now have my very own EDP and love it. (despite the salacious comment from the tow-truck man) The lotion is gorgeous, too. a bit lighter.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/19/2003 7:39:00 PM More reviews by saya

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Well, frankly speaking packaging is cheap(edp). I tried both-edp and edt and afterall prefer EDT. Edp appeared to be too strong and even one spray was too much.I quess I've rushed complimenting kingdom, cause that special base note that was so loud in kingdom I find much more subtile and sophisticated right here in NU. I can't name it, so if you could just tell me what exactly it is!? The point is that I can't smell it on me. All I detect is the pleasant clean skin smell. At the same time it gets tons of compliments, like none of my other perfumes . I believe it's just body chemistry. I'm glad I gave it some time to grow on me.It seemed quite offensive when first sprayed, but peppery spice becomes softer in a little while, so don't judge from the first sniff.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2003 10:10:00 PM More reviews by kimbleB

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm editing my review of this, which was originally 3 lipsticks. I have since sampled Nu 3 or 4 more times and just bought a bottle.
Nu is one of those scents that haunt you. I had sampled it about a year ago and thought "This is not for me, but I would enjoy it if someone else was wearing it."

I have a way of convincing myself that a scent is "too this" or "too that" for me. I successfully convinced myself that Nu was too sophisticated for me, and so didn't think about it again until recently when a patient came into my office wearing it. Since then, I haven't been able to get it out of my mind.
I am reviewing the EDP, and on me it starts with a strong pepper note that softens rapidly into a spicy, sexy almost musky scent.
Simply put, I *feel* sexy when I wear this and very few scents elicit that in me. I'm used to wearing earthy-incensey type scents, so this is a a new realm for me. Move over Black Cashmere, there's a new kid in town...

****kicking self---sold this in a yard sale for $10****
continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2003 11:11:00 AM More reviews by Sablois

LOVE IT! Ultra Sexy... refined, sophisticated, and classy. I can really smell the black orchids. I love the bottle. This is one of those fragrances that you can wear with just jeans and a t-shirt... OR with a little black dress. Delicious. Sensual. Fabulous.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2003 3:24:00 PM More reviews by KelseyP

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this, it has that unisex appeal that few fragrances carry off very well. The description from Sephora:

Nu is an enchanting skin fragrance that is rich and spicy in character and sensual and woody in structure.

Blend:
Spicy-Woody.
Notes:
Bergamot, Cardamom, Elemi, Wild Orchid, Oliban, Black Pepper, Incense Absolute, Sandalwood, Musk, Vetiver.

This is one of those fragrances that, on me, dries down to "skin, only better" kind of scent!