September 21, 2014 | 1152 users online

Sunscreen - Clarins - UV PLUS Protective Day Screen SPF 40

rated 3 of 5 on 8/5/2008 12:00:00 PM More reviews by jlawson12905

I used this sunscreen for about 2 years because it was the best that I could find although I never really liked it... more like tolerated it. It always left tiny bumps under my skin and gave me a night of the living dead chalky grey purplish look when worn without makeup. I also couldnt use it on my 10 year old son because it gave him a rash.
Since then I discovered Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion and will never look back! It is FAR superior to Clarins, you get way more for your $ and has none of the above mentioned "side effects".

rated 1 of 5 on 8/3/2008 11:22:00 PM More reviews by rfarmer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product made me breakout terribly. I used it over summer every day and after a few months noticed my face was covered with whiteheads when I stretched the skin. Then as each pore became infected, I get big deep red pimples. I am finally clearing up thanks to Isotane (Roaccutane) - 8 months later. As my dermatologist said, I don't need 40spf everyday when I work in an office - 15spf is fine. I wouldn't reccommend to young women.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/9/2008 4:29:00 PM More reviews by silasbrown

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

PROS: nice, light texture that glides on your face. It works well under makeup and has white tea and 3P to fight free radicals. I like that it has SPF 40 and works better under makeup than any other sunscreen that I've tried.

CONS: Expensive--$39 for 1 oz. Very small bottle. I think I go through a bottle every two and a half weeks. Clarins used to have a larger size. I am sad that they discontinued the larger size and am currently looking for a more economical sunscreen for daily use.

UPDATE: I tried MAC's prime and protect and it wipes the floor with this stuff. It kept my skin matte and protected all day and is $11 dollars cheaper for a 1oz bottle. Goodbye Clarins...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2008 1:23:00 AM More reviews by haveaguinness

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is one of my absolute favorites. I don't much care for the fragrance, the alcohol, or the price, but the finish is just superb, and my skin has had no problems with it. Incredibly light in texture, amazingly non-whitening, and it's neither greasy nor drying. I would never stray from this product as my everyday summer ss (prefer DDF Organic in winter)... except for the fact that it is simply not as protective as LRP Fluide Extreme, nor as waterproof as Shiseido 55 Lotion.

Still, I always plan to have a bottle of UV Plus in my purse- many's the time I have been running out the door in the morning with no sunscreen on (uh oh), and I love that the Clarins, as a physical product, starts protecting my skin as soon as I put it on. Really, really pleased with this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2008 2:34:00 PM More reviews by Daniela1977

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love this s/s.I had hard time finding the one for me as my skin is such pain for me. Very clog, prone and extremely easy break out. I never have problem with Clarins .I did try also Sofina Lucent which also never broke me out or clog my pores but my skin after week with Sofina come sooo dry. So i end up with the Clarins and i am so happy i did. In fact my skin and make up look much better with Clarins that without it.Also give me great matte finish for all day long,very soft skin,NO white cast and amazing under make up.HG.Most people add negative reviews ONLY b/c is expensive s/s and yes it is BUT i love my face and getting compliments.
Highly recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2008 12:18:00 PM More reviews by mandy412

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

This product works well and don't negatively interact with my skin or the moisturizer I use before putting on the UV Plus.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/17/2008 11:40:00 PM More reviews by devochka

So far, it is the only sunblock than doesn't break me out. It feels very different from all other sunblocks I used - though they all claim to be oil-free, they do feel oily and cause breakouts. Except for this one. This one feels like water - it's never oily or sticky.
Another benefit is that it serves as an excellent primer under make up. Skin looks smooth and matte all day.
The reasons I give it 4 lippies is that it contains alcohol, which might be drying on the long run. Also, the sunblock contains only Titanium Dioxide, no Zinc Oxide, which would have made the protection better , I believe (the two are usually combined for best barrier protection). But anyway I use SPF 15 foundation on top so it doesn't matter for me.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2008 12:17:00 PM More reviews by MaryEllen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

This seems to be a love/hate product, and I hate it. First, there is the smell. It's sort of a beachy-sunscreen smell, but with some awful flowery note thrown in. And it does not fade. It's awful--enough to make my eyes and tongue burn. Second, the lotion. It's watery, which maks it a little difficult to apply, and it never dried--my skin felt sticky and uncomfortable. Third, the appearance on the skin. It mostly sinks in, but overall it made my skin look dry and rough. This is soooo going back at $40/ounce!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2008 11:43:00 AM More reviews by Tess35

I have used the old version for years and has been my staple even with occassional straying. It is lightweight and does not leave a whitecast. It is semi-matte too and does not wipe off even when my face perspire profusely. My only unpleasant observation is that I can't use this with matte liquid foundation, also from clarins, as they felt like spreading semi-dry cement on my face. Other than that, this just amazing with anything on top or below it.

The only ss that I can really level on this baby is Diorsnow Pure UV spf50 (also on the same price range) except that Dior leaves my pores dirty and gunky.

I also have the trial size of the new version, the colored one. It is pinkish white and flatters my complexion but I can't imagine it working for darker skin. Other than the color, every character is exactly the same as the old version so I would presume that the new clear version is the exact replica of the old one.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2008 8:05:00 AM More reviews by eurodivas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just returned from Dubai where the temperature is already 40 degrees C. I left home with my usual La Roche Posay sunscreen but with the high heat and humidity my face became so oily that I found my self in the Shopping Mall looking for something a bit lighter - more attractive. The sales assistant recommended this sunscreen because of its light application and the added plus it that it is virtually colorless on dark skin types - women of color. .

This has to be the best sunscreen that I have used. No Oily shine - no Acne or Ghost effect. I recommend this sunscreen to all women of color who have problems finding a sunscreen which blends into our skin without leaving a white overcast.

Very well done from Clarins. I am not a fan of this Skincare line and this is one of the only products where I can say I will buy again.