April 17, 2014 | 1510 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - #209 Eye liner

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2008 10:29:00 AM More reviews by stilagrrrl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Despite years of practice and trying out many different brushes, I still occasionally have trouble getting a perfectly straight line when using gel liner. This brush has helped tremendously! (I got it on a whim during MAC's Friends and Family sale.) Stila's No. 4 brush is great but produces a somewhat thick line, and Bobbi Brown's Ultra-Fine liner brush gives a nice thin line but doesn't provide the control of the 209 so I usually end up with a slightly crooked line. The bristles on the 209 are slightly thicker than the Bobbi Brown brush and are shaped into a point, so the effect is much smoother. Plus the point shape allows you to make a thin line close to the inner corners of the lid and a thick one towards the outer corners, so it's a snap doing a sexy cat's eye look. Even if you already own several liner brushes (like I do!), this is definitely worth checking out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2008 10:35:00 AM More reviews by Kathy123

I used to use another angled brush with Fluidline from MAC. That created such a messy and thick line. That is why I started hating Fluidline. When I bought this, I was not happy with the price but I love the effect. It created a line that was totally workable. You could go thin or thick with this brush unlike the angled one. I always use a pencil liner to draft and then the Fluidline to finalize. This way, I remain mistake proof. Some people are pros in doing liquid liners but I suck at it and this brush is a huge help-

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2008 4:57:00 AM More reviews by Eva16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Great for applying fluidlines/gel liners - if you use them, then you need this brush! It never drags my skin & feels very soft on my waterline & lashline. Picks up a good amount of product too, so I don't need to keep dipping my brush into the pots every 5 seconds. A little pricey - 12 - but I'm willing to pay the price if the brush lasts me a lifetime. I've never had any shedding or anything like that.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2008 8:20:00 AM More reviews by jhadiq

This is a fabulous brush to get that thin, "liquid eyeliner" look with fluidline. It is thin, flexible, and precise - I never have to feel like I am tugging on my eye with this one, and it lets me make that little "flick" for winged eyeliner with ease. I don't use this everyday, but when I do want to get that liquid eyeliner look (without the liquid eyeliner hassle), this is the brush to use. Worth the money.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2008 11:46:00 AM More reviews by spoopty

It's a great brush! I can apply eyeliner a lot better with this beauty!

I use Stila's smudgepot with this brush.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2008 6:07:00 AM More reviews by bellefranjic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't know why every MAC SA I have asked has steered me away from this brush and towards #266 for applying Fluidline. I've tried and tried to make 266 work for months, thinking I'd get better with practice, but all I achieve is a thick line and can't get it smooth and precise. When I use the 266, I almost always need to gently smudge the line to smooth out the crease marks and I can never create a neat wing due to lack of sufficient control thanks to the angle of the brush. So, despite persistent discouragement from the MACettes, I've purchased #209 and it was love at first sweep. I get a precise, neat line and can easily create a perfect wing with this brush. With it, I can create a super fine line very close to the lash or a thicker one. It is also superb for the waterline.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2008 2:45:00 PM More reviews by meggisha

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Perfect for my fluidline.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2008 8:38:00 PM More reviews by CoonieR

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is absolutely THE brush to use with Fluidlines! I used to use my 266 angled brush, but found that I couldn't get a good tightline with it. Fortunately I have MUA to guide me, so eventually I discovered the 209 brush.

This brush makes it really easy to tightline. Since the point makes a V shape, you can either use just the tip (for a fine line) or apply a little pressure to make a thicker line (maybe 2 mm or so). If I want to go with a thicker line (rarely), I can use my 266.

My 209 has survived many washings without shedding or breaking any hairs, which is saying a lot, because I am rough with my brushes. I've added a second 209 to my collection and would recommend that anyone who uses gel eyeliner to at least try it.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2008 1:05:00 PM More reviews by paula3boys

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I absolutely LOVE this brush. I use it more than any other makeup brush that I own because I always use eyeliner and sometimes skip the other stuff. I have had it for a year and it is still in great shape. I use it and then grab one of my Almay eye makeup remover pads to quickly clean it off so the eyeliner doesn't cake up. Then once a week I use my MAC brush cleaner to clean it and voila, all better again. I don't understand the review below a little said her brush poofed out or whatever. Mine hasn't done this at all after all of this time.

I was so scared to use liquid eyeliner at first, but this brush was so easy to use and now I use liquid/gel eyeliner more than my pencils! I have a BB eyeliner brush too, but prefer this. I only use the BB during travel because I didn't want to lose this one! However, now that I got a 209SE in a set I got at the holidays, I don't need to worry :)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/25/2008 9:40:00 PM More reviews by lolemily

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've never used any other eyeliner brushes, so I have no room for comparison, but it's really nice. It picks up eyeliner well, applys smoothly, it's very soft so not harsh on the eyelid, and it cant be used for a thin or thick line depending on how you use it.