September 2, 2014 | 1937 users online

Lip Treatments - By Terry - Baume de Rose

rated 3 of 5 on 1/14/2009 3:48:00 PM More reviews by batlet2008

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Hmm not sure about this one! After re3ading reviews on here I realise when I bought the tube (lipgloss style) version its actually isn't the same as the product in the glass pot and maybe why I was disappointed. To me this was just an expensive lipgloss. Ive used half of it and got board and now its headed to the makeup draw of maybe ill use it again! I think I would have been wiser to (have joined this site earleir!!) have bought the pot version. Am using la mer at the moment and love it so am sticking with that for now. Overall this product was ok not worth the price tag tho. If i was going to try this again ill go for the pot version more of a balm than a gloss!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/4/2008 9:42:00 PM More reviews by Scotlandlover

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

At first I felt like a gluttonous pig and wondered why I ever needed to buy a $50.00 lip balm. I was very critical and didn't like the taste of perfume that seemed to overpower my lips. But... after using this lip balm for a couple of weeks I can't get enough of it! The smooth elegant texture and subtle dewy glow is to die for. My once chapped lips are healed and everything smells like roses! The perfume taste doesn't bother me as much. I guess I have developed an aquired taste. I feel spoiled rotten and can't wait for the next application.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/27/2008 11:31:00 PM More reviews by lgans1

I'm on the fence about this product. I purchased the baume in the tube not the pot and the top completely came off (i mean it literally came unglued!) and now half is all over the bottom of my purse. besides that mess, i'm not so sure about the fragrance and taste of this stuff. It is slightly offensive and makes me feel like i'm eating toxic makeup. Having said that, however, i really love the way it looks on my lips. i'll keep it and use what's left for that reason alone. i would probably not purchase this again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2008 11:33:00 AM More reviews by Cora

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is one of those few skincare products I have repurchased. Not only does this perform brilliantly as a moisturizing lip treatment (with spf, too!) it is a pleasure to use. The balm comes in a substantial glass jar, and is more of a creamy balm than a sticky or goopy balm. The scent is delicious - light rose petals, and does dissipate after application. Despite the high price tag, I will continue to repurchase this because nothing works as well to make my lips soft and plump. It goes on without any high shine/glassy effect. If I put this on at night, my lips are always smooth and moist in the morning. This balm (despite being basically colorless/light pink) also has a curious color enhancing effect on my lips - after it has sunk in, particularly overnight, my lips always have a lovely soft pink color to them. One caution, if you think the wand form is the same product, but with a handy wand, please know it is not. The wand form of this product is much more liquidy, has subtle shimmers, goes on with a much shinier effect, and doesn't perform nearly as well.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/29/2008 9:36:00 AM More reviews by citizendumonde

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Beware of skin allergies. This was well-reviewed in magazines and online, so I bought without sampling and was eager to try the By Terry line. At first, it had a nice scent but a heavy feel and did not impart any tint. A day later, after reapplying it a few times, my lip color was slightly uneven. The next day, my lips started to crack. I stopped using it and applied some Aquaphor, and the next day everything was fine. I can't imagine what the offending ingredient was (perhaps Lanolin). Barneys accepted the return begrudgingly, saying noone else had complained. You'd think they would want the feedback?

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2008 10:21:00 AM More reviews by Perkup1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

They say Baume de Rose is for double use: lips and nails. I would NEVER use this on my nails. What a waste! Itís too precious of a balm to use anywhere but my lips! It is creamy, non-sticky, humectant and soft and has the yummiest, delicate rose fragrance. Itís got SPF15 and is made in France. I also have the baume de rose in the same packaging as the Laque de Rose. Itís not a balm, so itís not the same. I also have the MultiCare Lip Gloss in Crystal Rose and the Laque de Rose in sinful rose. The balm in the frosted glass jar is by FAR my favorite of all 4. Is it SUPER expensive? You bet? Do I covet it? Um, yeah! Would I recommend it? In a heartbeat.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/27/2008 2:30:00 PM More reviews by snowbunnyUK

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was so disappointed!
In the shop, this felt totally amazing, and for the first few days, I loved it. It made my lips feel very soft and silky.
However by the end of week one, my lips were totally dried out. Trust me, it was due to this product, nothing else was different.
In my desperation, I found La Prairie Cellular Lip Treatment, and I can honestly say my lips have never been healthier. Even long-haul flights do not dry them out any more. Be careful with this product if you are prone to dry lips, like me....and keep the receipt!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/27/2008 9:56:00 AM More reviews by Yoonme

I just bought this, so I'll come back and update after I've used it for a while but for now I wanted to post the ingredients as found on the box. I'm copying them from the box so please excuse any typos.

Active Ingredients:
Octinoxate (7.5%), Avobenzone (3%)

Inactive Ingredients:
castor seed oil, synthetic wax, diisostearyl malate tridecyl trimellitate, methyl hydrogenated rosinate, hydrogenated polyisobutene, polyethylene, C10-30 cholesterol/lanesterol esters, petrolatum, shea butter extract, stearalkonium hectorite, C20-40 acid, caprilic/capric triglyceride, fragrance, tocopherol, rose centifola flower wax, rose damascena flower wax, propylene carbonate, pentaerythrityl tetraisostearate, lanolin, sodium pca, water, polysorbate 85, trihydroxypalmitamidohydroxypropyl myristyl ether, alumina, polyhydroxystearic acid, silica, methylparaben, silica dimethyl silylate, hydrolyzed wheat protein, butylene glycol, mica, titanium dioxide, carmine, phenoxyethanol, propylparaben, butylparaben, ethylparaben, isobutylparaben

EDIT: It's been a couple weeks since I bought this lip balm and now I feel like I can give a better review. I gave Baume de Rose the ultimate test when I used it on a 10.5 hour plane ride followed by another 5 hour plane ride. Since the air in those plane cabins is ridiculously dry, if a lip balm can keep my lips soft and supple during such long flights, then it's a BIG winner in my book. Sadly, Baume de Rose didn't hold up so well. When used in normal conditions (not in a plane) it seems to work well, but I wouldn't say it works any better than any other lip balm I've used. I'm sad to say that when used on the plane, my lips got dry and flaky, even with frequent and heavy reapplications of Baume de Rose. By the time I walked off the plane at my final destination, my lips were peeling despite being slathered in Baume de Rose. =(

Will I purchase again? No way. This product is way too expensive for what it is.

Overall, it's a good lip balm, but not the best. (I've used Paula's Choice Lip and Body Treatment Balm on long flights before and never had a problem with dry, flaky lips.) It's definitely not worth the money. Save your money and buy something else.

28 out of 29 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2008 3:25:00 AM More reviews by lilylotus

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

$50 for a little pot of basic lip balm seems a ridiculous price to pay. Is this a joke or some kind of get rich quick scheme by Terry??? I'm not sure, either way, the ingredients which are supposed to make this such a luxe product (rose petals and rosehip oil) are in fact easy to attain and are not expensive at all so what's the big deal? I have a $3 tube of Oralife Peppermint lip treatment here which have made my lips look and feel out of this world, nothing compares and believe me, I have tried a LOT of lip balms, cheap and pricey.
If you think $50 usd is over the top spare a thought for us poor aussies who have to fork out $95 aud for this pot of balm! Insane. I won't even get into the price of the rest of her line. Save your money.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2007 10:34:00 AM More reviews by jennyb

Wouldn't you know it? The best lip balm around has to be the most expensive. This doesn't look or feel hugely different from any other product out there - in fact it's like a tiny tub of slightly pink, slightly hard vaseline with a gentle rose scent. But I can feel it moisturising the second I apply it, and leaving it on overnight has a near-miraculous smoothing and plumping effect. If it makes you feel any better, at 10g it's twice the size of the average 4-5g lip balm stick, so to compare like for like, you can cut its £29 price tag in half. Although applying with fingers can be a little wasteful, fingers are easier to clean thoroughly than brushes, so at least its more hygienic. It may be pricy, but it's so effective at least I don't feel that I'm wasting my money on this.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No