April 24, 2014 | 1876 users online

Lip Treatments - By Terry - Baume de Rose

rated 2 of 5 on 8/29/2008 9:36:00 AM More reviews by citizendumonde

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Beware of skin allergies. This was well-reviewed in magazines and online, so I bought without sampling and was eager to try the By Terry line. At first, it had a nice scent but a heavy feel and did not impart any tint. A day later, after reapplying it a few times, my lip color was slightly uneven. The next day, my lips started to crack. I stopped using it and applied some Aquaphor, and the next day everything was fine. I can't imagine what the offending ingredient was (perhaps Lanolin). Barneys accepted the return begrudgingly, saying noone else had complained. You'd think they would want the feedback?

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2008 10:21:00 AM More reviews by Perkup1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

They say Baume de Rose is for double use: lips and nails. I would NEVER use this on my nails. What a waste! Itís too precious of a balm to use anywhere but my lips! It is creamy, non-sticky, humectant and soft and has the yummiest, delicate rose fragrance. Itís got SPF15 and is made in France. I also have the baume de rose in the same packaging as the Laque de Rose. Itís not a balm, so itís not the same. I also have the MultiCare Lip Gloss in Crystal Rose and the Laque de Rose in sinful rose. The balm in the frosted glass jar is by FAR my favorite of all 4. Is it SUPER expensive? You bet? Do I covet it? Um, yeah! Would I recommend it? In a heartbeat.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/27/2008 2:30:00 PM More reviews by snowbunnyUK

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was so disappointed!
In the shop, this felt totally amazing, and for the first few days, I loved it. It made my lips feel very soft and silky.
However by the end of week one, my lips were totally dried out. Trust me, it was due to this product, nothing else was different.
In my desperation, I found La Prairie Cellular Lip Treatment, and I can honestly say my lips have never been healthier. Even long-haul flights do not dry them out any more. Be careful with this product if you are prone to dry lips, like me....and keep the receipt!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/27/2008 9:56:00 AM More reviews by Yoonme

I just bought this, so I'll come back and update after I've used it for a while but for now I wanted to post the ingredients as found on the box. I'm copying them from the box so please excuse any typos.

Active Ingredients:
Octinoxate (7.5%), Avobenzone (3%)

Inactive Ingredients:
castor seed oil, synthetic wax, diisostearyl malate tridecyl trimellitate, methyl hydrogenated rosinate, hydrogenated polyisobutene, polyethylene, C10-30 cholesterol/lanesterol esters, petrolatum, shea butter extract, stearalkonium hectorite, C20-40 acid, caprilic/capric triglyceride, fragrance, tocopherol, rose centifola flower wax, rose damascena flower wax, propylene carbonate, pentaerythrityl tetraisostearate, lanolin, sodium pca, water, polysorbate 85, trihydroxypalmitamidohydroxypropyl myristyl ether, alumina, polyhydroxystearic acid, silica, methylparaben, silica dimethyl silylate, hydrolyzed wheat protein, butylene glycol, mica, titanium dioxide, carmine, phenoxyethanol, propylparaben, butylparaben, ethylparaben, isobutylparaben

EDIT: It's been a couple weeks since I bought this lip balm and now I feel like I can give a better review. I gave Baume de Rose the ultimate test when I used it on a 10.5 hour plane ride followed by another 5 hour plane ride. Since the air in those plane cabins is ridiculously dry, if a lip balm can keep my lips soft and supple during such long flights, then it's a BIG winner in my book. Sadly, Baume de Rose didn't hold up so well. When used in normal conditions (not in a plane) it seems to work well, but I wouldn't say it works any better than any other lip balm I've used. I'm sad to say that when used on the plane, my lips got dry and flaky, even with frequent and heavy reapplications of Baume de Rose. By the time I walked off the plane at my final destination, my lips were peeling despite being slathered in Baume de Rose. =(

Will I purchase again? No way. This product is way too expensive for what it is.

Overall, it's a good lip balm, but not the best. (I've used Paula's Choice Lip and Body Treatment Balm on long flights before and never had a problem with dry, flaky lips.) It's definitely not worth the money. Save your money and buy something else.

28 out of 29 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2008 3:25:00 AM More reviews by lilylotus

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

$50 for a little pot of basic lip balm seems a ridiculous price to pay. Is this a joke or some kind of get rich quick scheme by Terry??? I'm not sure, either way, the ingredients which are supposed to make this such a luxe product (rose petals and rosehip oil) are in fact easy to attain and are not expensive at all so what's the big deal? I have a $3 tube of Oralife Peppermint lip treatment here which have made my lips look and feel out of this world, nothing compares and believe me, I have tried a LOT of lip balms, cheap and pricey.
If you think $50 usd is over the top spare a thought for us poor aussies who have to fork out $95 aud for this pot of balm! Insane. I won't even get into the price of the rest of her line. Save your money.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2007 10:34:00 AM More reviews by jennyb

Wouldn't you know it? The best lip balm around has to be the most expensive. This doesn't look or feel hugely different from any other product out there - in fact it's like a tiny tub of slightly pink, slightly hard vaseline with a gentle rose scent. But I can feel it moisturising the second I apply it, and leaving it on overnight has a near-miraculous smoothing and plumping effect. If it makes you feel any better, at 10g it's twice the size of the average 4-5g lip balm stick, so to compare like for like, you can cut its £29 price tag in half. Although applying with fingers can be a little wasteful, fingers are easier to clean thoroughly than brushes, so at least its more hygienic. It may be pricy, but it's so effective at least I don't feel that I'm wasting my money on this.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2007 11:12:00 PM More reviews by blu3mini

Bought this from Barney's last week and still loving it. The rose scent is amazing and it has SPF 15. The only complain that I've is that they ran out of the tube version and I had to get the one that comes in a jar. It's a bit heavy to carry around and I've to use a lip brush every time (bad hygiene with fingers), which is not very convenient. It feels good on the lips and has a nice glossy effect that is not sticky. A nutritious lip gloss that hydrates and soothes.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/24/2006 2:13:00 PM More reviews by ninabedina

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Let me start off by saying that I've used a lot of uber-expensive beauty products to date; creme de la mer, gosmile teeth whitening kits, kerastase shampoos and conditioners, and now by terry rose balm. Now, some were worth the money, others weren't. By Terry rose balm is ridiculously expensive- it costs a heart-stopping $50 for .35 ounces. Before ordering the balm (as you most likely will, unless you live in LA,NYC, or Paris) I was using a $2 stick of Jamba Juice lip balm and my lips needed more. They were peeling, sore and a little bloody. I felt so bad for them that I decided to order the freaking Rolls Royce of lip balms. Was it a good decision? At first, I applied a heavy amount with a lip brush, and for the first couple of days it seemed to just sit on top of my lips- which pissed me off. But I've started using a small amount and applying it with my fingers- rubbing it in- and it absorbs much better and my lips are pretty soft and smooth right about now. As for the rose scent- I've used the $5 Rosebud lip tins and the smell made me want to toss my cookies, I just had a bad reaction to it. But By Terry has a soft, delicate aroma that suits me just fine. So again you ask, is it worth it? I suppose the high price tag and stellar reviews allow you to believe that this balm cures cancer and gives you Angelina lips- well, no. Don't expect miracles, it's better than any cheap lip balm I've used before, and I do feel a little special using my luxury item each day. If you can afford to splurge- this is a good item to splurge on.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/21/2006 9:20:00 PM More reviews by fullofsmiles

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i thought this was going to end my chapped lips prob. but it didnt last very long, its like a lip gloss, that addes a lil moursture.. i was dissapointed for all the money i spend on this... kinda a waste, i was really sad bc everybody els seemed to fall in love with it... :(

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2006 8:06:00 PM More reviews by swalsh

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is an amazing product! It makes my lips really soft, and also I use it on whatever is left over on my fingernails, and it makes them really shine. I also just purchased the tinted rose de balm in sinful rose! Oh my god it's amazing! It's a sheer coverage, but it looks beautiful on, really natural, plus I swear it makes my lips look bigger. This is an such a great product.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No