December 21, 2014 | 873 users online

Top/Base Coats - Nailtek - Foundation II - Ridge-filling

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2008 2:10:00 PM More reviews by Muartsy

I don't have ridges on my nails so I can't comment on that. But I do feel like using this as a base coat makes my nails stronger and my polish last much longer. I have repurchased numerous times.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2008 3:28:00 PM More reviews by imagination3112

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Love this product - had really peeling & flakey nails, with some ridges.

I use Nailtek II Foundation as my 1 base coat, 2 coats of China Glaze polish then with 1 coat of Nailtek II Intensive Therapy as my topcoat.

I only put the intensive therapy as a top coat once as opposed to daily as the company recommend and this has been fine for me. ( I have back up of each product as I never want to be without them). My nails feel stronger overall but not brittle.

After a few weeks of using this combination and moisturising my hands & cuticles I no longer have peeling & flakey nails.

I now need to cut them I can hardly believe it.

Update:I generally use China Glaze Polish and OPI and have not tried it with other polishes.

HOT TIP: (not mine suggested by another NB person, but it worked so well wanted to include in in a review to help others)
Put 2 coats of NailTek Foundation II on if wearing dark polishes.
I found that my polished came off alot easier and they was no staining on nails

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/17/2008 11:57:00 AM More reviews by BovinaSancta

I bought this for two reasons: I had little ridges in my nails since I stopped buffing them, and my nails were peeling. I never do a manicure without this stuff now. Since I started using it (about 4 weeks ago) my nails have stopped peeling, and my manis always turn out better and un-ridge-y. Now, remember, this stuff looks a little milky, and when you put on a coat of it it looks a little grainy. This is good for super sheer polishes that you cannot make opaque no matter how hard you try. However, it's not good for thicker polishes, because the ridgefiller grabs onto it and can make it lumpy. I don't have the heart to take off a lippy for that though because it really makes up for it by keeping my nails from peeling and making them stronger. This is my nail routine: One coat of ridge-filler, one coat of Nutra Nail green tea nail strengthener, 2 or 3 thin coats of color, wet'n'wild fast drying top coat, and then Seche Vite. My nails feel so freaking tough after I use it. I'd reccomend to anyone with thin, brittle nails. :)

Edit: oh, and I got this on sale on 8ty8beauty.com for about 2.50, and I think it usually runs for about 4.50. But I saw it at regular price at tj Maxx for 9 bucks. So, shop around!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2008 2:36:00 PM More reviews by gnippy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I purchased this ridge filler because my nails have some definite ridges in them and I was finding it difficult to get a smooth nail polish application as a result. I don't like to buff my nails to remove the ridges as I have had some bad results in the past so after asking on the NB I decided to purchase this product. This is another great suggestion from the NB. This applies smoothly and dries quickly leaving a slightly milky finish. I then applied my 2 coats of polish, Revlon CS TC & Seche Vite TC. The end result was a beautifully smooth polish finish. This stuff really works. However, I do think I prefer this with an additional base coat like Stickey or Bonder as the polish seems to hold up longer when I do this. This comes in a standard type nail polish bottle with the standard brush applicator so there is nothing remarkable there. I purchased this on sale at 8ty8 for $2.45 a bottle. I will definitely continue to use this product and would recommend to anyone who asked about a ridge filler.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/29/2008 1:50:00 AM More reviews by laur_8706

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this! Usually my nails peel pretty bad, so when I polished them the color would peel off with the nail at the ends. Not with this! I just got 6 days out of my mani with NO chips! Will definitely buy this again!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2008 9:12:00 AM More reviews by d_copper

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Got this along with the NailTek II Intensive Treatment because two of my nails well peeling at the edges and it was just getting worse and worse.

Application: easy, flows well and dries quick.

Finish: Matt and it absorbs whatever you put on top, so for your base coat or first coat of nail polish, don' t do really thin coats as that will come out too streaky.

Ridge-filling capability: It smoothes the ridges a little, but it won't make the ridges disappear unless they are very minor.

This + Nailtek II Intensive has made my nails stronger and definitely no new splits, although the existing ones need to be cut off otherwise they continued to travel up the nails.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2008 11:51:00 AM More reviews by ceeRennycee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

For as long as I can remember Iíve had a problem with my nails being thin and weak. They would peel really easily and then break because there was no substance to them. As soon as they would get any sort of length to them, one or two (or three or four) would break or chip off and Iíd have to cut them all down and start over. It became a game of sorts: how thin can I peel the layers before the nail will break? I had finally come to accept that this is how it was going to be. I was just one of those people who would have to rock short, ridged nails my whole life.

Until one day I ran across Nailtek II in the clearance section at TJ Maxx. I had heard good things about this on the NB and since it was on sale I decided to try it. Why not, right? I got a package deal that was one box of the regular Nailtek II strengthener and then this funky looking bottle of Ridgefilling Foundation II. I used the Nailtek for a week with good results but I was a little hesitant to try the ridgefiller. Iíd used one from Sally Hansen many years ago and the consistency of it was kind of gross, so ever since then I was a little leery of ridgefillers in general. But I figured, what the heckÖitís here, I may as well try it. Good gurdy, am I glad I did. Since I had been in the habit of peeling my nails I had ridges galore. They were especially visible with the holos I love so much. So I tried a layer of this and I swear itís like magic. No more ridges and after only a few hours I had noticeable strength to each one of my nails. I can push on any of them and they donít bend. Awesome. For even more strength, after applying my color I do a layer of Nailtek II before my SV.

The color is weird so I would never wear on its own but I donít usually go without a colored polish anyway so itís not really an issue. The other added benefit is that I can wear sheers and I donít have to do 400 coats to get good coverage. This foundation gives it a bit of a darker base to start with, but it doesnít change the actual color. Plus it dries super quick. It does have a bit of a grit to it but itís only there to grip the polish and doesnít change the consistency of the color at all. Itís completely smooth, which sounds like an oxymoron, but it is.

Like some of the previous reviewers, I noticed that the first layer of color applied over the Foundation has to be very thin and not too overworked or you get streaks. But the good news is even if you do get them they disappear with the second coat of color. Not noticeable at all. I usually do my manicure with no drying time between any of the layers but I have found that with this stuff itís better to allow 3 or 4 minutes between this Foundation and the first layer of color.

And probably the most important benefit Iíve noticed since using this? My nails grow like crazy! I swear, after only a week or two they had grown from little nubs to the tips of my fingers. And within a month they classify as long. Me, with long nails! And they look really healthy, too. The new portion that has grown in is really smooth and bright. I still have litte patches at the ends that are ridged from peeling, but that will go away once they grow a little more. I canít wait until they grow enough to allow me to file away the rest of the damaged portion and have nails that are healthy all they way through. I canít recommend this stuff enough and I intend to buy another bottle before my current one runs out.

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2008 7:00:00 PM More reviews by BerlinerPooh

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this from 8ty8 after checking the reviews on here and it was on special so I thought, why not! I've done 2 manis with this base coat and I am very impressed. It does have a rough matt texture when it dries (I use 2 coats) but I follow with 2-3 coats of polish and the results are better than I could have imagined. It really does make a difference with my ridges and my nails look smoother than with any other filler base coat I've used in the past - including SH which I thought was great! OPI colours usually look good for 3-4 days before they start to dull/chip but with this I went a whole 7 days looking like I just had my nails done, without reapplying a top coat. I've also noticed that my nails are growing out "clean" - I had not realised how discoloured they were before - and obviously Foundation II does a wonderful job at protecting them from all the red colours I like to use!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2008 12:22:00 PM More reviews by oceanmist27

This stuff is awesome. It has made my nails a lot stronger. And as someone else mentioned, it keeps dark colors from staining your nails. I have found it slightly harder applying the first coat of polish over this, but not enough that I would stop using it. If you purchase this in a salon or store it can be pricey. It is cheaper to buy online...I buy from 8ty8beauty & have had nothing but pleasant experiences ordering from them.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2008 5:00:00 PM More reviews by smellypiratehooker

Best ridge-filler ever. As someone who paints her nails at LEAST once a week, I love this stuff! I'm even finding that I love the look of my nails "bare" with a coat of this and a coat of clear over. Fabulous. Oh, and I picked it up at TJMaxx- Ridge filler and #2 Intensive Therapy for $4.00!