Alba Botanica Sea Plus Renewal Night Cream

3.8

Not tested on animals

Ingredients Purified water, certified organic aloe barbadensis leaf juice, persea gratissima (avocado) oil, glyceryl stearate SE, vegetable glycerin, aleurites moluccana seed oil, macadamia ternifolia seed oil, sorbitan stearate, stearyl alcohol, ceteareth-20, mangifera indica (mango) seed butter, polysorbate 60, dimethicone, sorbitol, certified organic simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, stearic acid, squalane, sodium PCA, allantoin, alpha lipoic acid, DMAE, polysorbate 20, extracts of spirulina maxima (algae), ulva lactuca (sea lettuce), laminaria digitata (kelp), chondrus crispus (irish moss) and macrocystis pyrifera (kelp), citrus grandis (grapefruit) fruit, cucumis sativus (cucumber) seed, arnica montana flower, anacyclus pyrethrum root and camellia sinensis (green tea) leaf extracts, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), L-ascorbic acid (vitamin C), phenoxyethanol, ethylhexylglycerin, potassium sorbate, sodium hyaluronate and fragrance (parfum).5/23/09

After reading all the positive reviews of this product I was very excited to try it. I wasn't wild about it having a fragrance (as I have very sensitive skin), but I figured it was atleast worth a try. Well, aside from the smell (which smelled like cheap lotion to me), it simply didn't work for me and began irritating my skin and breaking me out. I aslo don't understand why a company that uses so many natural ingredients includes an artificial fragrance in their products. Anyway- will def not purchase again. I would highly reccomend you sample this before using it.

on 6/24/2006 6:52:00 AM

This is fast becoming a skin care staple for me. My seborrheic dermatitis-prone skin (greasy, scaly, clogged pores) responds to very few products and is aggravated by most. For some unknown reason I quit using this product a few years ago and repurchased it recently when I needed something to buffer Ystheal gel. It calms my skin and may even help clear pores. It's hard to tell since I'm using Ystheal in conjuction with it. There are several good reviews on drugstore.com from acne-prones, so it's possible that they're both helping. The natural fragrance is a bonus; it's so relaxing!

Update: *sigh* I've developed a sensitivity to something(s) in it, probably the algae and/or lavender, both of which are highly suspect where my skin is concerned. When I stopped using it my skin didn't look as nice anymore! My pores aren't as clear. It really was helping control acne and black/whiteheads. I'm so sorry I had to give this up. continued >>

on 6/7/2006 6:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I am totally in love with the whole "sea" line that Alba has. I have dry sensitive skin and i decided to make the move to more natural products and the Alba line (everything in the green containers) coupled with a switch to MMU has done wonders for my skin! The sea plus renewal cream is perfect for my hyperpigmented 32 year old skin. I use it both in the a.m. and p.m. and it's a great base for my MMU. This product is very thick so "a little dab il' do ya" for sure but for the first time in my 32 years, my cheeks are the same color as the rest of my face. I also love the scrub, toner and clensing milk in this line and I think it's safe to say they are all my HG!

on 5/26/2006 2:48:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I LOVE this product. It has many of the same ingredients in the skin specialist's (Dr. Perricone) formula. It's light, non-greasy, and melts on your face. For the money I think it's the best value on the market.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Alba's Sea Plus Renewal Cream is chock full of incredible ingredients, and it certainly seems to be a wonderful moisturizer for normal/dry skin types ... maybe even combo skin. But unfortunately, I have very oily skin and this cream was a bit too rich for my skin. I used it as a night cream, and although it did not cause me any breakouts, it did feel somewhat heavy/rich on my skin. I am just using this around my eye area now. Overall, this would be a great product that I would recommend for anyone who doesn't have oily skin. :)

on 4/5/2006 10:05:00 AM

This product grew on me. I alternate this product (at night) with a retinol product. I didn't really think it was doing anything for my skin until I ran out of it. Then I noticed a big difference in my skin when I wasn't using it. My only complaint is that it comes in a small tub. I use a q-tip to get it out

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have been using this product for about two months and am thrilled with how my skin looks. I use it on my combination skin at night, I keep it away from my eyes. My complexion is even, no more brown spots and my pores are invisible. I have had many comments on my skin and this is the only thing I have changed. I love the marine scent and that Alba products do not have mineral oil as so many others do. Will repurchase.

on 3/7/2006 11:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Is it me or did Alba try to make this look like their version of La Mer?! I was really disappointed with this. Ingredients are good, but they combination of them does NOTHING for my skin. I have normal to dry skin and bought this after the reviews thinking it would be a fairly economical nighttime moisturizer. My skin was tight in the morning and it felt waxy after putting this on. When I tried to use it over the areas of my face where I use Avage...OUCH! I only used it twice, and hate throwing away the nearly full jar. I'll put it up on swap in case anyone wants it.

on 3/6/2006 8:36:00 PM

WARNING: 1) Inhaling this product upon application on face caused my stomach to rumble & constrict in slight pain. Yes, that's TRUE and horrid. I wonder what will happen if a pregnant woman were to use it as stomach constricting may expunge the baby!!! I don't want to give this any stars at all!! The stomach rumbling & constricting goes on for about 3 to 5 hours and I apply it only at night. I have applied it twice and both times the stomach rumbling & constricting started upon using this product. This indicates to me that my stomach is reacting to the ingredients on the sea plus cream. Mind you, this is simply a shea butter cream. I don't know which ingredient is causing it. This is the FIRST TIME that my stomach has reacted to a skincare product. 2) Also, it STINGS my face. NOT FOR SENSITIVE SKIN & NOT FOR THOSE WITH ROSACEA. 3) I got red dots on my face, ditto 2. 4) It stinks to high heaven, it smelt like old man's hair cream. YUCK!!! I guess those who are in favor of this product have normal or combo skin. VERDICT: THROW AWAY!!!

on 3/3/2006 3:33:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

i liked this moisturizer since it didn't irritate my skin. like others have commented, it didn't break me out and felt nice on the skin. the product wasn't too heavy or greasy. the only thing i could not get used to is the scent. it is way too strong, IMO. typically, i have no problem with scented products and have a high tolerance for them. this was a really good night moisturized, but unfortunately, i will not buy this again b/c of its scent.