November 29, 2014 | 1519 users online

Cleansers - MAC - Cleanse Off Oil

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2012 8:03:00 PM More reviews by canadian

My skin is very sensitive so I'm always leery of trying new products. I decided to order the smaller bottle of this product from the MAC website. I first tried it this past winter. I absolutely hated it then. It made my face feel irritated. However I was feeling sickly and had a thyroid problem. I didn't realize until later my thyroid was affecting my skin. Now spring forward to May. I ran out of my other cleanser and decided I would try the cleanse off oil again. Lo and behold I can I love it now. I apply to dry skin and gently massage my face and rinse with water. Waterproof eye makeup, foundation etc comes off easily. I often take a damp cotton round pad and swipe around. Yes sometimes there will still be a bit of makeup on the pad. I found two pumps makes a difference. The price isn't bad. Now that my skin is improving I plan on buying another bottle or two.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2012 11:47:00 AM More reviews by Cara_M

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Cleansing oils are amazing for getting off makeup - I recommend them to everyone, and wish I'd discovered them sooner (I've been using them for 3 or 4 years). I started with DHC, then moved to Origins and now the MAC. The MAC oil is quite good - I like that I can back to MAC the packaging, the price wasn't outrageous, there is no mineral oil in this, it doesn't break me out and MAC doesn't test on animals. The cons for me are that the packaging leaks when I take it on weekends away, and I don't feel it cleanses quite as deeply as the other oils I've tried, and is harder to wash off - my skin looks clean, but makeup comes off on my towel and on my cotton pad of toner. I think I need to double cleanse if I'm using this oil, which puts me off a bit. I'm not saying I'll never repurchase this, but when I'm finished, I'm trying another brand first.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/16/2012 2:33:00 AM More reviews by 247swimchick9

I love this product! Its really great. I used to use avocado oil to take off my makeup but i hated how it would leave an oil residue, and would really have to scrub my face in order to get rid of it. Then I used pond's cold cream, and the same thing would occur. I was tired of tugging at my skin just to get makeup off. So I decided to give this a try according to the great reviews on youtube and such. You put it on your face and rub in gently like any other cleanser, then over the eyes. Then wash off. What I like about it is that it takes off ALL makeup including waterproof mascara, and it turns into a milky cleanser when you add water! Its truly an amazing product. I really don' need to have another cleanser-this will do! It leaves a very clean feel, without being dried out--but moisturized. I recommend this to anyone, and ANY skin type.
(I have combination/acne prone skin--and it's lovely.)

I bought this at Macy's for $26, which, to me, is pretty pricey--but I believe it to be 100% worth it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2012 10:35:00 PM More reviews by mandiluk

AHH!! The best to remove all my makeup! waterproof mascara? yes. foundation? yes. eye makeup? yes! And it lasts for a super long time. Two pumps and you are ready to remove everything!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2012 2:41:00 AM More reviews by bonstamonsta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I never would have thought that applying oil on oily skin would actually work, but it does. I've been using MAC Cleanse Off oil for about 2 1/2 months now and I still have a lot left in my bottle. In the past, I had used Ponds Towelttes as my main make-up remover. I would always stock up on them too since they were relatively cheap at Target. While I didn't mind using Ponds, I did find that it was somewhat tedious and some nights, I would use 2 wipes to remove all my make-up. For reference, I normally wear Estee Lauder's Double Wear foundation. As you know, this foundation needs some work at removing. I was on the hunt for a make-up cleanser that removed all my make-up whitout tugging my skin. This is why MUA rocks! I saw all the raves about MAC Cleanse Off oil and just told myself to try it eventhough it's OIL. The product comes in a see-thru bottle with a re-closable pump top. I love it! i use two (2) squirts on my dry face (don't apply to wet face or on wet hands) and massage it all over. You can see all the make-up dissolving, even waterproof mascara and eyeliner. Keep in mind, this does cause temporary clouding in the eyes. But it goes away fast. The oil emulsifies so quickly with the water. It's like magic...one minute, you have make up on and the next, its all gone! I do follow-up with my regular facial cleanser. I seriously recommend this to everyone!!! It's amazing and it works.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2012 7:38:00 PM More reviews by misslu990

This cleanse off oil is amazing! This is the only make up remover that fully removes all of my make up. It even does a wonderful job at removing eye make up. I usually use sk emr first anyways and then dispense two pumps of Mac cleanse oil and rub between my palms and gently apply to my face I work it in for a good minute then wet my fingers and wash off. My face always feels super clean. This has never broken me out. However I do follow up with my regular cleanser afterwards.

Update (9/27/12)--- I initially thought it was my cleanser that was breaking me out and that this wasn't contributing to it but looking up the ingredients and seeing that wheat germ oil is very clog prone I now suspect that this was causing my clogged pores. I have stopped using it for over 2 weeks and my skin has improved.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2012 7:33:00 PM More reviews by Prncs06

Wish I had discovered the product sooner. Bought this after I found myself breaking out from shiseido sun protection liquid foundation. Figured out pretty quickly that I simply wasn't removing the makeup well enough at night. One night of using cleanse off oil significantly improved my skin and cleared up the recent breakout just by fully cleaning it. I love this stuff and doubt I will ever stray from it now.

I use one or one and a half pumps to clean my full face. I pat in with dry hands, on a dry face, then rinse with warm water using circular motions. Easy, quick, effective. About twice a week, I also follow up with my proactiv three step- but the rest of the time, I only use moisturizer afterward, which is a near miracle with my sensitive, oily, acne-prone skin. This product has been a game-changer for me and is a definite must-have.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/9/2012 12:47:00 AM More reviews by SleepingBag

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a very efficient makeup remover. I wear foundation daily and I find this is a stellar product for removing everything. I don't think this product is a miracle worker, but it does what it's supposed too. I like the slip of the product and that its not too stripping of natural oils. I've purchased this product twice. Also, since oil and water don't jive, its better to apply this to a dry face (although I usually wet my hands first). I should mention that there is a nice almond/spice smell.

EDIT (12/07/2012): I gave this product a lot of love for a while and repurchased several times until I figured out it was too harsh for my sensitive acne prone skin. I noticed this on my own after a while and when I checked it out on Beautypedia all my doubts were confirmed. There are irritating oils in the product, so no thanks MAC. That negative, combined with the expensive price tag, are just unacceptable for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/1/2012 2:21:00 PM More reviews by jfothergill

This is the first time I have ever used a cleansing oil to remove make-up, so I only purchased the smaller 30ml option at 7.00, instead of 150ml.
I have suffered from acne and oily skin in the past, so I never touched oily products. Considering my skin has cleared up in recent months, and is actually more dry/normal now, I gave this a shot.
I applied the oil on dry skin, about 2/3 pumps seems a good amount for me - so my fingers can glide over my skin. I massaged the oil all-over my face, eyes as well, and then rinsed with lukewarm water. I have to say that it truly did remove almost every trace - mascara, foundation, eyeliner, it all went! While massaging it feels like the oil is melting away the make-up, and the water colour proves it works! After the oil I use my usual cleanser to be sure my skin is clean as can be.
I found that my skin feels more moisturised and softer after using the oil, not so tight as it did when I only used cleanser.
I will definitely continue using this product, and probably invest in the 150ml bottle next time, I have a feeling this one will not last me long!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2012 2:48:00 PM More reviews by PremierT

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This was my first cleansing oil and I don't think I will ever go back to anything else. I used many brands of makeup wipes but ALL OF THEM or any product that requires that a piece of cotton/cloth make contact with my eyes causes my lids to sting and get incredibly dry. I used EVOO on a cotton pad for years and it was much better than other removers or wipes but Cleanse Off beats the EVOO by rinsing clean and leaving no residue so I can use it on my entire face.

It is pricey. That said you only need 1 pump to get everything off, I use 2 pumps though so that my fingers glide very easily over my skin and there's no rubbing at all. It gets absolutely everything off - even the multiple coats of water-proof mascara that I wear daily. If it gets into your eyes you vision goes a bit cloudy for a few minutes but it's not irritating or painful so that doesn't bother me. Since I no longer have to rub my eye lids I've noticed that they don't itch anymore and my lids look less dark/dry so I use less concealer/eye creams. The oil doesn't smell like anything until you've rubbed it in a bit and then it smells like gingerbread which was kinda strange the first time I noticed it but it smells good and it makes me smile now.

I was worried about using an oil on my skin, but once you add water it washes off easily and leaves no film and has not caused any breakouts in the 2 months that I've used it. I'm a total cleansing oil convert - the best makeup removal method I've ever found. Non-irritating, fast, rinses clean enough to make cleansing afterwards optional and it leaves behind nothing at all not on my white linens or my Clarisonic brush head.

Notes About the Rinsing Process - once you add water, as others mentioned it does turn milky, but what they didn't mention is that you need to be careful or it gets EVERYWHERE. Essentially you've got dissolved makeup in water-like consistency and it will drip onto sleeves, splash easily and stain anything it touches. A small price to pay for something that gets all my makeup off in one gentle and fast step though so I would definitely repurchase and recommend it, just be warned.