December 22, 2014 | 1760 users online

Stick - Shiseido - The makeup Stick Foundation

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2007 12:24:00 AM More reviews by USCgirlie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I've tried tons of foundations before (high-end, low-end), but I have to say that Shiseido's The Makeup Stick Foundation is one of the most natural finishes I've ever had from a foundation. The color, O40, is the most perfect match that I've ever had for my skintone. Previously, close matches were MAC NC35 and Revlon's Fresh Beige, but they were never the "melt into my skin" kind of match. In addition to being the perfect color match, the foundation's finish is super natural. In fact, the first few days I applied it, I found it too natural, and felt that it did not cover anything. At that point, it seemed to only make my skin look slightly more even-toned, but didn't cover acne scars or pimples. Now I've found that if I swipe the foundation stick onto my face a bit harder, I can have more coverage. The reason why I give this 4 stars instead of 5 is because I do have to spend a bit more time applying more in order for it to give medium coverage -- which foundation sticks are supposed to do anyway. Also, I've noticed that I've only used it for one month but already a significant portion of the product has been used up. Despite these complaints though, I am generally very happy with this foundation - it makes my skin look and feel healthy!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/13/2007 6:54:00 AM More reviews by anti_starlet

This must be one of my most favourite foundations. You would think that because it's a stick, hence a cream, it must be medium heavy coverage but applied lightly enough it can appear pretty sheer. The shade O60 is a bit light for me but nothing I can't get away with. Can build up coverage for when you need a bit extra and when I apply it to my undereye dark circles I barely need any concealer. Only wish it lasted a bit longer through the day or maybe I just need to start using a primer. This is definitely my HG everyday foundation and I recommend to lighter skinned mixed race girls :)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2007 2:00:00 AM More reviews by desertmom4

I was on the hunt for a foundation stick as I wanted a quick-fix for the days I didn't want to put on a full face of makeup. I read all the great reviews here on MUA and decided to give this stick a try. The price was high, so I though it must work really well. In this stick I am an I40, which matched my skin perfectly...needless to say I put this stick to the test on a day my family went to play in the snow. I didn't exert any energy, just watched my kids go sledding. Needless to say, after being in the snow all day (sunny day), we went to dinner. That is when I took a look at myself in the restroom mirror and almost gasped with horror!! My face looked horrid, my makeup was gone just leaving trails of residue where it once had been. I blame this foundation as it is the base for my other makeup (blush, bronzer). This stick did not provide long wear, it just seemed to slide off my face within hours. I do not have oily skin, rather normal/dry, and I always moisturize and use a primer before applying foundation. Even though I really liked the way the color matched me perfectly and the packaging was cute, I cannot stand to pay lots of $$ just to have it disappear. Needless to say, I returned it and won't be trying this product again and am discouraged to try any other products from this line.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2007 9:21:00 AM More reviews by jacks

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i'm always trying different foundations, but always come back to this one. it's just so easy and takes no effort. i'm always looking for the one foundation that provides just enough coverage to hide the little disclorations or uneven areas, but doesn't look like make-up. i typically use liquid foundations and although i found some good ones, i don't love them as much as this stick foundation! literally, you swipe it on your cheeks, forehead, t-zone, etc, blend easily with fingers or sponge, and va-voom...the stuff just disappears into my skin and provides the coverage i need. i love how easy it is. and as someone else mentioned, the formula is actually very light and you can layer as needed. i'm dry on the cheeks, especially in winter, but i never have problems with this foundation looking cakey or making the dry areas look drier. the finish is a nice dewy look.. this is my favorite one since it always makes my skin look great without any heaviness...and it feel like my skin is able to breathe too!!
also.. the packaging is chic, travel friendly, and makes the application process mess-free.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2006 6:58:00 AM More reviews by Jany

I have never been a fan of stick foundations but I decided to give this a try as it was ideal to bring along for travelling. this is a great foundation, it goes on smooth and gives you a natural look. turns out well in photos too. it doesn't feel heavy on your skin, you don't feel it at all on your skin like other foundations.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2006 2:05:00 PM More reviews by imkt

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had always wanted to buy this, but I was under the impression that it gave a very heavy coverage. I recently purchased this in O20 and I'm in love. I am used to only using tinted moisturizers, but this does a nice job evening out the red areas on my face. It looked totally natural.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2006 12:28:00 PM More reviews by Genitalien

I was already a big fan of the fluid foundation, and because I was always used to using fluid foundations I never thought of trying a stick foundation. The fluid version has a matte finish and it could be a little drying during the wintertime, so then I tried a sample of the cream version. I found it too sticky and started experimenting with other really expensive foundations (Guerlain-too shiny and too orange, and Shu Uemura-made me too oily) but I finally decided to buy the stick version as I thought it would be less drying, but also less sticky than the cream version. I already knew the colour I20 was a perfect match and lo and behold! I just love this stick foundation!! The idea of a stick foundation never really appealed to me, but it's just lovely! It's so easy to use and the finish is absolutely wonderful! It doesn't even make my oily skin any oilier! I might go back to the fluid foundation when it's summer, but for the colder months, this is it. Big raves for shiseido!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2006 8:27:00 AM More reviews by furiousjen

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Been using this for years. My skin tone matches I20 well and you can control the amont of coverate. the packaging is chic, hygenic, and portable, lasts a pretty long time (I use it nearly every day and a stick lasts me about 3-4 months) and if it's ever discontinued, there will be tears and protests by me! Every time I get bored and want to try a new foundation, I'm invariably disappointed so I come right back to the Shiseido. Highly recommended.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2006 10:55:00 AM More reviews by captinlizi1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I decided to try this foundation due to the great reviews on MUA, and I've become a Shiseido stick convert! I love the case, very chic and solid, and the gel stick formulation blends well and can be left quite sheer or built for more coverage. I'm a huge fan of the Control Colour, which is great for brightening around the eye and evening out redness--just an amazing product. I sometimes use it under the light ivory colour, or sometimes just by itself, since it blends invisibly. It's a bit pricey, about 35 dollars Canadian, but for such a great product, I'll try to buy it at bonus time! Thanks again MUA'ers for pointing me in the direction of a great product!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/14/2006 10:39:00 PM More reviews by my_moomoo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used to use Clinque city stick...then they discontinued it SIGH. Anyways, I bought this as a replacement. The color matches my skin perfectly and it does a good job at evening out my skin tone. On the other hand it doesn't cover like a concealer for those nasty imperfections so you would need something else for that. After about two hours I am all shiny but it doesn't melt. I use EL aeromatte on top. The fragrance is very strong but I like the smell.

Overall I like this product - not perfect but it's well worth the price for something that matches my skin tone. Will repurchase.