September 16, 2014 | 1883 users online

Skincare - Face - Philosophy - Help Me

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2010 12:23:00 PM More reviews by alessie04

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been using this product 3 nights in a row. I know that isn't very long, but I barely use anything on my face. The only other thing I use is Dermalogica Bedtime for Breakouts (which I love). I stopped using my dermalogica and tried Help Me because the dermalogica has gotten rid of all my acne and now I am left with uneven skintone, very large pores around my nose, and ruddyness. I haven't had any burning, peeling, redness, etc while using Help Me. When I wake up though, my skin hasn't changed even slightly. It actually kind of looks worse...very oily and blotchy with tiny pimples and blackheads. It doesn't even feel like it did anything.
Again, I know 3 nights isn't very long. But I would expect some redness/flaking from this since I don't use anything except Dermalogica and I have very sensitive skin. But no. Nada. I've never had much luck with philosophy (hope in a bottle worked for about a week and then stopped, foundations looked good for a week then looked horrible, etc.). Maybe this just isn't strong enough for my skin?
I don't know...I will continue to use it for the next 4 nights and update this review then. If still nothing changes, I'm taking it back to Sephora ($45 is a lot to waste right now).

UPDATE: Returned to sephora. Just wasn't doing much of anything except breaking me out.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/19/2010 5:53:00 PM More reviews by LoveMakeUpEver2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I had so much expectation for this product. I have uneven skintone with loads of post acne marks, and about to develop some wrinkles (hitting 30 soon T_T), and all this product did was to make my skin red, itch, and i got tons of tiny bumps all over my skin. I stopped using it and tried to re use it after a month, still same thing happened. Another 3 months later, i gave it another go, still same. I can't even use this as expensive hand cream, because my hand would get red and itch too! Sample is a must for this product if you can get it.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/19/2010 5:53:00 PM More reviews by LoveMakeUpEver2

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2010 3:44:00 PM More reviews by mnw28

I purchased this with hopes of it evening out my skin, reducing blackheads, minimizing pores and hopefully reducing fine lines. I have to say this product is really good. I have been using it now for about three weeks and I actually saw results within the first week. My skin was noticeably softer and smoother the first week. The second week I could tell my blackheads were disappearing and my pores seemed less gunky.

Unfortunately I think I got a little too excited about the product results and started using it every single night. Then I put a slightly thicker layer on one night and woke up to irritated, almost burned skin around my eyes, nose and mouth area. My skin was dry, red and flaky and burned when I put a regular moisturizer on those areas. I haven't used the product since (which was three or four days ago). I'm going to let this mess improve but then i plan to return using Help Me. Just maybe less often and in thinner layers.

Still think its a great product. I knew the possibilty of irritation was there so I think you just have to learn what your skin will tolerate. I haven't seen any improvement with wrinkles or fine lines though :(

rated 4 of 5 on 2/1/2010 2:00:00 PM More reviews by lucyem

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been using for 2 weeks now. I put it on most nights. My skin is clearer. My old acne scars have faded a little, enough to see a real difference and not just "think" I see it. So far so good. My skin is generally dry and sensitive and this does not bother it at all.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/15/2010 2:20:00 PM More reviews by ile

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this product after reading the great reviews it had on several websites and I really really wanted it to work for me. After two months of using this every night before going to bed I can finally say that there was not the smallest change on my skin tone and my pores are still the same. I gave it an extra lippie because it did make my skin softer
(I want to believe it was this so I can justify the $$$ I spent), but less expensive products can do that as well. I won't buy this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2010 10:04:00 AM More reviews by NJRipp

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've used a lot of different skincare brand and slowly but surely have transferred almost entirely over to Philosophy. Bearing this in mind I should not have been surprised at the near miracles this cream can perform overnight! I was a little apprehensive, knowing how harsh some people find retinols. But I experienced no adverse effects - I think because of Help Me's gentle drip-feed of retinol through the night - but oh what a dramatic difference to my skin by waking up time. And the effect has improved as the weeks and months have gone on. My skin is more even tones and my pores (once large enough to spot from some distance away on my nose!) are almost invisible even on close inspection. When I wake up my skin just looks better than it did the night before! And I've also found that the odd breakout goes away much quicker with a touch of Help Me.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/29/2009 6:25:00 PM More reviews by Gitte

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was not familiar with this product until a salesperson at Nordstrom's gave me a sample. I liked the sample, so bought a tube, and have been really pleased with it. First of all, you don't need a lot and you don't use it every single night, so one tube lasts for months, making it not expensive in the long run.

The really nice thing about it, is that it has a nice high amount of retinol, but not so much that it is irritating to sensitive skin (like mine). I started out using it every other night for a month, and now use it twice a week. My skin looks better overall, and feels nice and soft. Plus there are no new wrinkles or laugh lines.

Other than Retin-A products prescribed by my dermatologist, I haven't tried a lot of retinol products, so I don't know if this one is the best - but it is definitely at least ONE of the best.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/28/2009 12:30:00 AM More reviews by Django09

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product doesn't do anything. The retinol it contains is far too low to be effective. I used this for a few weeks to "prep" my skin for retin-a, and it was effective in that regard as I experienced no irritation at all when I started on the retin-a. For that, I'll give it 2 lippies.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2009 3:46:00 PM More reviews by scopingforyou

PROS: Has the added oily texture to help those who really dry out with retinol.

CONS: This is no where near strong enough for me. According to someone else posting, help me only has a .15% retinol percentage. Tube is hard to get the last of it out too. Left me quite oily and congested.

ALTERNATES: Most people here like "Save Me" better. I love Paula's Choice Resist retinol serum for no clogging of my pores, no irritation to my sensitive skin, and great results in less depth for my wrinkles.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No