Revlon Vixen

4.3

My comments are pretty much the same as the previous reviewer. It's a lovely color, but it is very streaky that it is necessary to put at least two coats. I definitely prefer OPI's wide brush to Revlon's brush, which makes application more difficult. As well, tiny bubbles are visible. It was worth trying out this color, although I probably wouldn't buy it again.. only because I probably wouldn't run out. I will yet to try my Essie's "Wicked" but the two shades look very similar, and we will see how the application goes. Nothing beats OPI's wide brushes!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Well, fall is here, and I found myself buying this on impulse at the DS - I do like these deep colors for fall, and figured it was time to give the infamous "Vixen" a try. I haven't used Revlon polishes since HS, so I was also interested in seeing what I thought of it since the last time I used it.

Color: Others have described this well, and the color is famous enough that I don't really have to go into it. My skin tone is fair, neutral tending to cool (Asian). I love how the color looks on me - on my short nails, the look is polished, sophisticated, and makes my fingers look longer and more elegant. I dont think the look is at all goth (at least not on me) and is appropriate for work when wearing dark, fall colors. I would also use this on my toes in the summer.

Application: Here is where my love affair with this polish ends! the first time I applied it using my normal procedure of OPI ridge filler as a base, 3 coats (letting each coat dry before applying the next), then OPI topcoat. The brush is thinner and smaller than the OPI brushes, which to me, made application more difficult. The brush is definitely poorer quality than what I am used to with OPI. As others have noted, there is some streakiness with the first coat. After two coats, most of the streakiness was gone, and definitely gone with three. HOWEVER, I noticed tiny bubbles formed on the surface, and the color with three coats was a bit more dark than I would like. I removed the polish the next day, thinking I should just be more careful with application, and only apply 2 coats. My hope was that I would't get the bubbles, and I would have a lighter color. Well, I got the lighter color, but if I look very closely at the nail, you can still see a smidge of streakiness, and I still have air bubbles!! Look, I am no pro when it comes to polish application, but I can say that I don't have these issues when I use OPI polish that has been opened and older than this new bottle of Revlon. Anyway, my manicure with this stuff looks cheap and crappy from day one, no matter how careful I am! Horrid!

Durability: Durability is decent/average, no chips for 3-5 days, which is standard for me.

This experience has reminded me why it is worth paying just a smidge more for OPI. Love the color, but I believe I can find something similar with OPI or Essie.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have to say the last reviewer was wayy wrong when she said "I'd say this is definitely a cooler toned, bluer-based color. I'm very warm toned and it looks great on me, my mother is very cool and it isn't flattering to her skin tone."

This is a neutral very dark blackish red that is so very in, this season. I have warm toned light olive skin and it looks fantastic, one of my roommates has paler skin with cooler undertones and my other roommate is pale with peachy undertones and it looks great on all three of us--I'd say it's appropriate for ages 16-35--it's a little too trendy/goth for anyone older.

chips like a son of a gun though and doesn't stay that shiny if you apply more than 1 coat--i've heard essie's berry hard is better.. i don't know for sure though

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I like to wear this on my feet--it's a deep burgundy without shimmer. Nice color; no streaking and lasts forever. Nice on hands too but too strong for work though. I've also layered this on top of a brighter red nail polish underneath to lighten the effect and it still looks great!

I re-visited this product recently now that the dark/vampy/edgy nail color look is really in vogue. I'm sure I bought and tried this back in the 90s but I don't recall what I thought at that time. This time around, I really like this color! It is a glossy blood red/cherry-black color and is red enough to keep my fair skin from looking ashy. It is not quite as dark as it should be to be "vampy" but that keeps it from looking TOO gothic or trendy. Instead, it looks sophisticated and dramatic on short nails and is even appropriate for work IMO. I painted my fingernails (one coat and a top coat, went on smoothly) and the next day, I already got a comment from someone about how great my "manicure" looked and how my nails looked "great." The person even noticed a second ring I added to my wedding band. This polish is easy to find and very reasonably priced. The only problem I had was that it chipped so easily (day 1) although almost all polishes chip on my fingernails (minus one lippie). I think Revlon should do this color in the Colorstay polish which seems to last longer. I will keep this in my arsenal for a dramatic dark polish that is actually wearable. I think for toenails it would be absolutely perfect in fall/winter.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is my HG toe nail polish! I don't know how many bottles i have used of this, too many to count! Its *the ultimate* vampy red. I always apply 2 to 3 coats for maximum effect, then finish off with a super glossy topcoat. It has some good lasting power! I love it and will continue to buy!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I wanted an alternative to the black nail polish so I went for this, which is a dark burgundy color. I really like this with a shiny top coat. I will probably buy this again unless I am over the dark nail color phase.

I was really disappointed with this one. I thought for sure I was going to love it! I like dark colors, but I didn't think this particular shade was anything special. This is supposedly very similar to the original Chanel Vamp, but I remember that one being much prettier. I'm thinking that Vixen might look better on someone with a warmer skintone because on me it's just very blah. I also thought the formula wasn't that good. I know Revlon makes some good nail polishes, but I found Vixen harder to apply than some other polishes and it bubbled (even though I tried to apply thin coats and waited until the first coat was dry before the second application).

As said before, a vampy blackened red. Very hot, very chic. I like this look on toes year round. Revlon is top quality stuff, a lot like OPI (and better in many cases). I like the color Raven Red as a good alternative to this one, only it's a simple dark red, kinda 1940s.

This is a nice color, but nothing special, IMO. Very similar to Essie Wicked and all the other vampy reds out there. That said, the quality and application was great, and the price and availability are too. I might re-purchase if I didn't already have other similar shades I like a tiny bit better.