October 1, 2014 | 1346 users online

Shampoo - Neutrogena - Anti-Residue Shampoo

rated 4 of 5 on 11/18/2011 11:21:00 AM More reviews by ladyofshalott

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

For the past month my hair has gotten SUPER crunchy, brittle to the point where it started to break (from using too much protein in my hair!!!) I usually use SLS-free shampoos/conditioners, so I started to use a regular shampoo to wash my hair, thinking that it would get rid of any gunk. But that didn't work--it just made my hair worse! It was getting down right embarrassing to be seen with hair like this. Anyway, I tried deep conditioning my hair, but that didn't seem to help... so I finally tried this: a clarifying shampoo. I used it once and WOW -- my hair was not crunchy anymore! It was a miracle. This dried out my hair and made the colour fade (I have colout-treated hair), but I didn't care--I was happy to have no crunchiness in my hair anymore. I will continue to use this once a week for the next month, along with lots of moisture (with no protein), in order to get my hair back in shape. :)
BTW: My hair is naturally wavy/curly, All the protein I used in my hair made is stick straight and crunchy. After using this shampoo, my hair went back to its natural texture!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2011 9:57:00 PM More reviews by tubbyloves

It worked great at clarifying my hair and my scalp.
It really cleans the hair and residue left behind from styling products or build-up.
It can really dry out your dry hair if you use it too often.
I used to use this daily and it FRYED my hair. It was soooo dry and brittle.
But used once a week to cleanse your hair is the ideal way to use this product.
Great product and would reccomend!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2011 7:02:00 PM More reviews by gpgroupie1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I genuinely sympathise for the people who have used this shampoo as directed and have had bad results, but there were a couple types of reviews that left me searching for my very smallest violin.

The reviews that imply that the person used the shampoo more often than the directions instructed...I mean, yikes! This stuff is strong and takes gunk out of your hair, it's ok to use it very sparingly. I have very dry scalp and hair, using it as instructed has not damage my hair at all!

The second types of reviews that left me unsympathetic, were the ones that complained about how much it "reaked". Well, I will offer up two thoughts:

1) Neutrogena products have a very, very distinct scent. The shock that I'm hearing regaurding the "stench" is surprising to me. The company has been around for a while and I don't think they changed the fragrance of their products at all. 2) Even if you don't know what Neutrogena products smell like, shouldn't you smell a product before purchasing? I don't know, maybe that's just me, because I am so scent oriented! I always smell a product before I buy it, and if it smells bad why on earth am I going to wash my hair with it?

Ok, enough of me being kind of mean, I really like this product! You use so little and only 4 times a month, it wil last you a good long while! Also, I really enjoy the smell, and I feel a huge difference between washes! My scalp feels cleaner for a longer time! Because it washes out the build up on my dry scalp, I no longer have dandruff!

I would like to wait until I finish my first bottle before I go and call it my HG, but if it continues to work for me as well as it has already, it's definitely going to be on my "must have" list!

04/05/12
Update, I'm on my second bottle, and I still love this! My dandruff problem is gone, and that in itself is really impressive! It's now my HG! Can't really imagine using anything else. It is a God send!

15 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/15/2011 5:00:00 PM More reviews by polkadotxo994

I really like this for a weekly treatment. It definitely takes the "dullness" out of my hair from buildup, and makes my oilyish roots feel very smooth, strong and healthy. I wouldn't recommend putting it below ear length though, because it will dry out your ends. Try it out, you'll love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2011 3:59:00 PM More reviews by bekahbekah

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product SAVED my hair. I swear if i didn't do something soon i was going to shave my head. I just got straight bangs and they get so greasy so fast. This took all the product build up away and left shinny, clean, soft, easy to work with hair. A lot of people complain about the scent but I really don't mind it at all. It was about 9 dollars with tax which is a little expensive but it was so worth it! When this bottle runs out I will be buying this product again and again and again.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/21/2011 12:26:00 AM More reviews by pinkebonette

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is ok. I use it once a week to clarify between my regular shampoo and it does its job. My hair doesn't look or feel that much better, but my shampoo works better after I've used it. I only gave it 3 because I really don't like the smell. Some people here are saying it's like men's cologne; to me it's worse than any cologne I've ever smelled. The scent lingers on my hair afterwards, too. Blech.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2011 9:15:00 PM More reviews by saamannthaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this because I finally found an awesome shampoo & conditioner combo (Matrix Biolage Smootherapie), but the shampoo builds up in my hair. This works ah-mazing. My hair was breaking off LIKE CRAZY because there was so much build up on my hair. After using this one time, while still in the shower BEFORE deep conditioning, my hair stopped breaking off. I was amazed. It says it gets rid of 90% of buildup & I think it's true. There was so much buildup that I had to use it again the next time I shampooed my hair, but I would say 90% of the build up was gone (not making this up. I didn't know it only got rid of 90%. I was actually disappointed that it didn't get it all, but then it made sense :P). As always with a clarifying shampoo, you need to follow up with a deep conditioner (I use Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition 3 Minute Undo), but I wouldn't say is strips your hair or anything... it just has the tendency to tangle it. The only downside is the smell. It smells like men's after shave, which I personally like, but sometimes it's annoying + it lingers in my hair after I use two-three highly fragrant products in my hair afterward. For reference, I have thick, curly (3 b/a, with hints of c), frizzy hair that product loves to build up in.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2011 12:02:00 AM More reviews by shamuball

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

$4.54 a bottle at target + it does what it's supposed to- woot. bad thing is it smells like motel shampoo :(

rated 4 of 5 on 9/7/2011 9:20:00 AM More reviews by merchick

This shampoo really does work as well as salon brands in getting rid of product build-up. The really amazing thing, though, is that since I've had an itchy scalp for the last 3 years, it is the only shampoo that relieves the itch.
I strongly disklike the scent (reminds me of men's aftershave), but I keep repurchasing because there's no shampo as effective as this one.

I wonder if it would make a difference to add a drop of some type of essential oil...if I get around to trying that, I will edit the review to give the results.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2011 7:58:00 AM More reviews by kitten14

My hair had gotten to a point recently, after numerous deep conditioning treatments and the heat of summer, where even right after washing it still felt dirty. I had used my usual clarifying shampoo (Suave) which only made it feel like I needed to also condition my scalp, but it still felt grimy. This shampoo was brought to my attention via a YouTube video for summer favorites. I went out and bought it within the next few days and tried it immediately. Washing my hair with this made it feel like it could breathe again, like all the oil and grime that was blocking my hair's cuticles was released but not to a point where my hair felt like straw afterwards, it actually did not feel dry at all and after I used my regular conditioner it felt super soft, softer than it had felt in quite awhile. I now use this shampoo about once a week or so. I predict that when the weather cools down I will decrease my usage of this to twice a month or so because I really don't use products in my hair but on a special occasion. I also find that if I use this and then my regular shampoo and conditioner, my hair looks its absolute best.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No