October 31, 2014 | 1670 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2012 4:54:00 PM More reviews by Rahkayelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This product is AMAZING! I've been too chicken to colour my hair at home since I was sixteen, but I read the reviews on this product and I didn't see anything negative or anything to worry about. My hair is a light brown colour and I was getting bored of it.

The instructions are very clear, and there are only two items that you need to mix together. One is a blue powder and the other is a bottle of a type of cream (sorry forget what it's called). Mix together until the entire product mixes properly, and apply to your hair after you have pulled the hair strands through the cap.

The results are amazing. I was kind of worried that it would work out, but I love it so much that I will definitely be buying in bulk. If they discontinue this product, I will be sooo sad! :( :P

My hair is my natural brown underneath with chunks of blonde (I wanted more of a chunk look than thin highlights) and it looks great. Not brassy at all!

I should also point out that this product is really for people with a medium/light brown hair. If your hair is super dark (chesnut brown or black) then please don't use it if you are looking for a blonde effect. It won't work. A friend of mine tried it and she has amazing dark brown/blackish hair, and it turned orange. So if you want blonde, get it done professionally. :)

rated 3 of 5 on 7/12/2012 8:06:00 PM More reviews by miisorollinn

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Okay so I read the reviews and I thought I would dye my dye blondeish for senior pictures. I know this is a highlighting kit, but I used it as a bleach kit and bleached some parts of my hair. YEAH WHAT THE FLIP WAS I THINKING? Ugh I'll be honest I was hoping for better results. The kit gave me two different results, my roots/ regrowth became a nice light honey blonde/brown which is what I wanted. However everything else was red/orange/dark brown... I rebleached again and it turned the roots blonder and the rest of it became strawberry blonde -.- overall I think this product would work nicely on natural hair.. but if you dyed it black like me, you're going to get an ugly hair color.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2012 10:27:00 PM More reviews by BeeReed

I bought this product as a way to OMBRE my hair, instead of highlight, and it has worked perfectly every time that I have used it. I originally used this when my hair was long, which is common for ombre-ed hair, so I was skeptical of how it would turn out after I cut 13 inches off and wanted to lighten it while it was short, but it turned out GREAT!! :) This is an easy, low-mess way to ombre as opposed to using straight bleach with water.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2012 9:07:00 AM More reviews by tequilaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really like this it was a great way to slowly lighten my hair without damaging it too much. I used the "honey' kit. I have thick dark hair and nothing blonde ever works out with it. But suprisingly the highlights came out very blonde and I used a blow dryer while I had it on to make the bleach work faster and better. Its so easy to do,too. I did it by myself in around 25 minutes.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2012 12:17:00 AM More reviews by JennaJ1

This is my second time. Turned out better than before. I read the advise here and left it on almost 60 min. the first time. I ended up with ash, almost white highlights in my dark brown hair. Didn't look all that bad just a bit too, too. So I ran out a bought John Frieda's Glaze for brown hair and toned down to go out in public. That worked.

This time I only did 25 min or so. Beautiful golden, dark honey, highlights. My hair is shoulder length and layered. Pulling through and removing the cap is not painful in the least. I save the little plastic hooks in case one breaks. Now I have two.

Since I'm an independent cuss, I do it all myself. First time pulling the hair through took me hours, maybe 4? This time maybe 2? My problem is not being able to find a picture of what hair looks like after pulling through the cap and the results after. I did face framing and crown. Left the back alone.

Turned out great. So worth it! paying $67.00 and UP $$ for salon highlights? No.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2012 1:52:00 PM More reviews by swtlilqtk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

My hair was already lightly highlighted for a salon, so I figured I would try this to add a few more highlights. My hair is pretty strong and normally resistant to bleach so I thought this would work well. Boy, was I wrong! After being on for 20 minutes it lifted my hair to almost white while still have a red brassy through the middle, and even though it didn't lift completely it turned my hair gummy! This is some strong stuff. Having this on for 20 minutes did more damage than having salon bleach on for 40 under a dryer! This highlights still need toned obivously due to the reddish orange pieces, but I'm afraid to put anything else on my head. Slept last night with a protien treatment on my hair and it helped it bit but its still breaking in some pieces. I can't believe this broke my hair off considering how resistant my hair is! I had bleach break my hair off one other time and that was after bleaching my whole head 3 times with 40 volume developer in one day! I would proceed with caution when using this, probably not a good idea on hair that was bleached or colored within the last few months.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/12/2012 6:22:00 PM More reviews by Titan2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

UPDATE: June 22_ I have used this product twice since this last post. LOVE THE RESULTS still. I am now a blonde and loving it. There are lots of variations of blonde in my hair from dark blonde, honey, golden, and light with some coppery strands which look great. CON: It is difficult to up keep the roots if you to do this by yourself. I redo my roots in the more visible parts of my hair more often then the rest (hair line and crown). I will definitely keep using this product until I no longer feel like having blonde hair. This process is drying to the hair, but good conditioners goes a long way. Usually within a couple of days of good conditioning my is back to healthy, soft and manageable (washing my hair every 2 to 3 days only). Also buy a good heat protecting spray if you use heat to style your hair lots.

Old Post: I had spent a great deal of money going to a salon to get my hair colored and highlighted. I wanted to have a lighter base color then before and more highlights since summer was coming. Well not what I got at all. Dark Coffee Brown, with caramel highlights is what I ended up with. I wasn't going back. I have been dying and highlighting my hair by myself for years when I was younger and should have just trusted myself to do it again.
So I have been buying the Revlon Highlighting kit for dark brown hair and putting in highlights through out my whole head every two weeks with lots of conditioning in between. Thankfully the dark coffee brown, which didn't suit my skin tone at all, is slowly disappearing and a range of light browns, honey blondes, and light blonde is left behind. There is some coppery highlights also, but they look good and are well blended. I will keep using this product until I achieve the hair color desired.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2012 1:22:00 PM More reviews by Adele

So many positive reviews, and tips- thank you MUA! This helped me a lot in making the decision to even attempt at-home highlights.

My hair was growing out from dyed medium/dark brown, I had been colouring it medium brown but it had faded. I had about two inches of natural growth at the roots, which is ash/mousy brown with LOTS of grey. Basically I'm sick of dying my hair to cover the grey- I'm only 33 but have so much grey it's hard to keep up with. I have finally given up so to speak, going to start the road to blonde...

So that being said, I have two different shades of dye in my hair, plus natural growth. Dark hair and grey hair. I followed all of the directions, but I pulled through every hole (even the ones without circles) and tried to pull small pieces. My husband helped with the back although he was afraid of hurting me so he probably didn't pull as much as I would have liked. He also gave up rather quickly and so not every hole was pulled.

The result- definitely honey. Oh I should mention that I used the kit for dark hair. Thinking on it now, I could have used the medium kit but oh well. My hair lifted fast- my strand test indicated 50 minutes, but once it was on my warm head covered in plastic, 25 minutes was more than what I had planned. So I washed it out, dried it and all that good stuff- it looks very nice. There are definitely some starker blonde pieces, but not bothersome. My hair looks summery and rather nice. Definitely just as good (if not better) than my experiences at the salon. I will give it a week (I hope that's long enough) and do the whole process again.

My hair is naturally curly- I had it cut the day before so it was nice and straight which helps a lot with pulling it through the cap. On my medium length hair, 1/2 box would be enough. I will definitely use this again and again- I love the effect. It's fantastic. I think I'll even use it in winter- and use a deposit only colour like herbal essences to darken it down but still maintain some dimension. Very satisfied with this kit, highly recommend it to anyone looking to freshen up their hair or lighten up for summer.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/16/2012 9:42:00 PM More reviews by JenJenofAz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I colored my hair with Revlon's #20, Dark Brown/Black. So, I used the Frost & Glow kit in Honey. I left it on for only 20 minutes, because I didn't want (nor do I look good with) blonde highlights! I have reddish highlights now and they look awesome with my dark hair! The kit is VERY drying to hair. I did the whole process by MYSELF and it sucked BAD! I did every hole in the circle, yes, by MYSELF with the bathroom mirror as my only help, so it was time consuming(hell yeah, I took a few breaks)! So, if you can get help, that would save loads of time and frustration. I was so hot and sweaty(and "B!tchy! Hubby even thought the moment was right for a few pics) when I was done that I couldn't wait for a cold shower(and a couple o' beers)! Next time, I think I'll go to Sally's for a chunking cap and leave the solution on a bit longer(this sounds easier, I think). Oh, and I tried getting away with using half of the kit, but it wasn't enough, so I did end up using ALL of it. I remember being in highschool and using a peroxide spray on my hair.........My highlights kinda remind me of that look I had back then, just not quite as orange, as I didn't leave the Frost & Glow solution on very long. Got mine @Walmart for $6.99. Not a bad kit, but I prefer all over color and this was just too darn time consuming for me doing it solo. Oh, it is drying, like I had mentioned above, but my hair isn't so bad after using leave in conditioners from MOTIONS. After a couple of days, my hair feels soft again. Perhaps if I redid it, I may just do a few highlights and not every circle? And yes, that cheap plastic hook was hell to get the hang of at first, but eventually, I did "get it" and it wasn't too bad. Anyway, I think I spent around nearly FOUR hellish hours on this "beauty" treatment(not a joke). Everyone says my highlights look great. Because I did every hole in the darkened circles, the highlights really aren't subtle, you DO notice them. So, for a more subtle appearance, I'd probably do every other circled hole. UPDATE: Did another round of only doing every other circled hole and the highlights look BETTER and more natural. Easier too! Since I didn't pull out huge chunks of hair, the look is more subtle, but that's how I prefer my highlights anyway. So, because I do it this way, one kit can now last me two rounds. Also, this time around, my hair was not as dry as the first time I highlighted my hair. Besides my Motions hair care, I'm also using Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil. UPDATE:Since this has proven to be too drying, I've decided to give it up. And just when I got the hang of it! Oh, well! It has now left my hair in ruins. It's TOO dry, brittle, falling out worse than ever, lots of breakage.............LOVED the results! SO SAD, but SO NOT worth all the hassle in the end!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2012 7:26:00 PM More reviews by PaulaBenoit

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

** Update 06/25/2012 **

Retouched my highlights and the results are even better than the first. I left this on my hair for 55 minutes and the extra 10 minutes made a huge difference. I also used Wella T14 Toner instead of the T18. I found pulling my hair through the cap was easier this time around. Still took me an hour and a half to pull the hair through but the results are worth it. Also I did my full head this time so I needed 2 boxes of this kit because my hair is long.

I uploaded newer photos to show the results.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My base color prior to using this kit was a medium/dark brown shade (Age Beautiful 5N & 5A).

Using the cap was not as hard as I thought it would be considering how long my hair is. I only pulled hair through the front and crown sections. I did not bother with the back. It took me about an hour to pull through the hair. Then I tied up the hair I was not bleaching into a bun and covered it with a shower cap to protect it. I applied the bleach/developer mixer to my hair, making sure to apply evenly and put the plastic cap over it. I allowed it to process for about 45 minutes before I rinsed it out.

The result was pretty good although there were some ginger brassy tones closer to the roots. I went to Sally's and was told to use Wella T18 toner with a 20 developer although after reading online I think the T14 toner would have suited my needs better as its meant to tone the hair if it takes on a more ginger appearance and the T18 is meant for banana yellow hair.

In any case it helped to tone down the brassiness at the roots so now the highlights are a caramel color. I think because my hair was colored it caused the bleach to pull more orange/brassy tones from my hair but the toner fixed that problem. I am happy with the results and was able to save about $150 by doing this myself.