October 22, 2014 | 1803 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/14/2014 4:37:00 AM More reviews by lexeelayne

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I like this face wash I really do, but hasn't done miracles for me.. Still love it though and feel as it helped clear up my skin a tad....just a tad. Does a good job at removing makeup and doesn't dry out skin!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/11/2014 9:57:00 PM More reviews by ilovemac03

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this cleanser, it gets the job done, and works well with my sensitive skin. It gets off all the make up, and is the only cleanser that's been successful with my Clarisonic Mia. The cleanser is quite drying though, it does strip most of the moisture from your face, hence I only use this at night time, when I can moisturize with a heavy duty moisturizer like the Josie Maran Argan oil. I have been finding that this combination is really working for my skin, I don't have acne, but do get the occasional break-outs but this cleanser has really been keeping that at bay for me. But if you have acne prone skin I don't know if this will stop your skin from breaking out. Overall it's a pretty good cleanser, and I probably will purchase again since it does what I need it to, but it's not the best.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/11/2014 12:57:00 PM More reviews by nostradamus

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

It doesn't bother me so much that this is just a so-so cleanser, but that this product is the baby of slick marketing. It's called Purity but contains questionable ingredients like parabens and a formaldehyde-releasing preservative (IMIDAZOLIDINYL UREA). Yes, it's gentle and seems to agree with many different skin types, but can't Philosophy live up to its name and reformulate with less shady preservatives?

I'd rather err on the side of caution and avoid questionable chemicals that can be absorbed by the skin or enter into our water system (where even marine life is affected through bioaccumulation and hormone disruption). You may think this science is spurious but once upon a time we thought formaldehyde was A-OK for cosmetic use too. What with parabens linked (even if tentatively) to breast cancer, I won't jump in line to presume this preservative's innocence before probable guilt. It's up to the beauty industry to prove to us that the ingredients it uses are beyond a shadow of a doubt, safe. Until then, we consumers have to inform ourselves to the nuances of greenwashing and make the judgment call. I know I have.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 2/11/2014 11:53:00 AM More reviews by englande

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I must be the only one who can't use this cleanser. I really like the "pure" idea behind it and it works perfectly with my Clarisonic Mia2. However, it didn't help my skin at all. I tried using it for a couple days more than once, but each time I got cystic acne or large zits. That's not characteristic of my skin. I have breakouts, but they're usually not large, red, painful bumps under the skin that last for a couple weeks. There is still a spot healing from one of the breakouts a few weeks ago. After using this at night, the next morning my face would look kind of red or just generally uneven. It did clean off the makeup, oil, and dirt well. There is a strong smell with this stuff. It's like a lemony woodland, almost like a natural household cleaner. It was very distracting at first, but after a few tries I was used to it. Loved the way it made my skin feel afterwards and I didn't have to use as much moisturizer. I really wanted to love this stuff, but it just didn't fare well with my acne or complexion. I'm glad I only bought the small size from Sephora.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2014 1:01:00 AM More reviews by britbritmeow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have been using this product for a few years now. On-and-off, unfortunately, but enough to give my opinion on it. This is one of, or maybe the only product that I use to cleanse my face that is amazing enough for my sensitive skin, but powerful enough to completely and utterly rid my face of all the last traces of makeup and dirt.

Usually, with any other product, it either took off makeup and dirt, but it was way too harsh, or it barely took off any makeup or dirt and felt as if my face was still dirty (maybe needed some harshness in the cleanser). But besides that, it's a great product. It's doesn't dry out your skin. I feel as if it adds moisture to my skin. Philosophy is just a great company all-together.

Purity is such a perfect name for it. I adore it. I will always purchase this. And if I ever find anything better, that is when I will be completely surprised.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/2/2014 9:50:00 AM More reviews by arieljocelyn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

After all of the great reviews, I really wanted to love this cleanser. I have very sensitive, acne-prone skin and was on the lookout for a cleanser that wouldn't be too harsh on my skin. This cleanser was harsh on my skin in the sense that it left my face feeling completely stripped of everything to the point that it felt like a mask. After using this product, my face felt like it would shatter into pieces, like a dry, cracked desert landscape. Of course, because this dried my face out so much, it kicked my oil glands into overdrive, even though I used a moisturizer. So I went from having eggshell skin right after washing to an oil slick a couple of hours later. This product was very harsh on my skin, and I would not recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2014 12:24:00 AM More reviews by Makeuplove86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have already gone through a large bottle of this and I am working on my second one. This cleanser does a fantastic job at removing all my makeup, especially my eye makeup. I swear it does a better job than regular makeup removers. I wear eyeliner and a good amount of mascara and with just a few rubs, it's all gone. It also has a good consistency. I've tried others that are drying, but this one does not so it doesn't feel like I'm damaging my lashes. I use this in addition to other scrubs and cleansers so I'm not sure how effective it is in clearing acne etc, but overall it does a great job at cleaning the dirt and makeup and I would highly recommend it!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2014 6:12:00 PM More reviews by futurestrength

Sephora has featured this in November for the past couple years as part of their Black Friday deals, where they sell a 8oz bottle for 12$. (Just a heads up to everyone).
This is a GREAT cleanser. I used to have cystic acne, and I'm at the point where my under the skin pimples are gone, but I still have some breakouts on the outside (which is MUCH more preferable). This is a great cleanser, very gentle but also makes my skin soft somehow. I will rebuy.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2014 3:18:00 PM More reviews by Ladydeemone

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought a sample of this from Sephora and I have to say that it works fairly well. I wouldn't say its the best cleanser ever, in fact I think its pretty comparable to my usual cleanser Neutrogrena Naturals. It gently removes makeup and doesn't leave your skin feeling tight/stiff. I would purchase this cleanser again IF it was much cheaper. I just cannot justify the price. So I have been sticking with my Neutrongena Naturals that is only $10 instead of the $40 price tag of this cleanser. Don't waste your money!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/25/2014 3:18:00 PM More reviews by yellowease

I wanted to love this product because everyone was raving about it however I was thoroughly disappointed. I used it for almost six months and saw my skin get progressively worse. I paired it up with my clarisonic mia at night but started to develop small bumps in my eyebrow region that eventually became full-fledged acne. Still, I prevailed and experimented with other toners and moisturizers.. The results were frightening.

I agree this cleanser is simplistic and natural which is why it is appealing however I also don't generally wear makeup and was looking for a more high end product. It's very mild and the scent was not overpowering. I'll give it points for that.