October 22, 2014 | 1306 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

rated 4 of 5 on 12/23/2013 7:44:00 AM More reviews by EllieDaniels

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The only red I have found that suits my skintone!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/17/2013 12:13:00 AM More reviews by LeslieXo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It's actually scary how drying this is. Beautiful colour but for how drying it is I don't know if it's worth it.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/14/2013 4:02:00 AM More reviews by UrsiG

Got it for about $15 on amazon. Best deal that month.
The. Best. Red. Lipstick. In. The. World.
It fits every skin colour I've ever seen, including mine. Lol
It has this reddish/brown hue when applied, makes the teeth look white. Lasts all day, getting it off can somewhat be a problem.
I noticed something, after some hours and I smack my lips I notice there are blotches on my lips, don't know why as I apply a lip moituriser prior to applying the lip colour
The major con is the drying factor(applying is a bit of a problem because of this)
This is the lipstick for superheroes. It is that amazing.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2013 3:45:00 AM More reviews by EmilyRaymond

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

I randomly went to the MAC makeup counter and asked for a red lipstick that wouldn't look absolutely ridiculous on me. I am very pale with very dark hair and blue eyes. I've always thought my eyes looked kind of weird with red lipstick and I haven't found a red I actually feel confident wearing yet. First, the girl suggested Russian red, but it was much too dark for me and made my lips look much thinner than they are - not what I was going for. Next, she gave me ruby woo to try and to be honest, I wasn't sure if I really liked it or not at first. After walking around the mall for about half an hour, I decided I loved it! I got compliments from total strangers on it. This lipstick is a MUST for pale girls because of its bluish undertones, although I'm sure it looks fantastic on many skintones. I actually like the retro matte finish with red lipsticks more than any other finish. It looks so classic and not as trashy as some of the ├╝ber-shiny reds I've tried. It's bright, but it isn't overpowering. It made me feel like a real life Snow White! Another plus for ruby woo, I was wearing a brown smokey eye when I tried it and it didn't look ridiculously overdone. One thing I don't like about this lipstick is how hard it is to actually get it on your lips. It does tug and pull as you put it in, but the colour payoff is crazy! I personally have not experienced any more drying from this lipstick as I usually do, but god knows I will considering how chapped my lips are in general. However, it's nothing a good base or balm can't fix! Overall, the drying effect is a small price to pay for such an amazing lipstick! I wouldn't feel awkward wearing this to school or even a family function because it's THAT wearable. So happy this is in the permanent collection!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2013 9:52:00 PM More reviews by Niza9

This is on my MAC lipstick favorites list for sure! I love the blue undertones in this lipstick and it looks great on almost every skin tone. A lot of people can pull it off. This lipstick gives a glamorous, sophisticated look and that is why I love it. The whitening effect it has on your teeth is also a big plus :) great shade, totally recommend it!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/21/2013 7:56:00 PM More reviews by Marquita1986

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So I am a deeper skin tone and so some times I have to tweak lipsticks in order for them to look decent. I have always loved the way red looked on black women but I was not sure I could pull it off. That's at least until I found Mac's Ruby Woo lipstick. This is the only red lipstick I wear. The shade looks awesome with my complexion. The color last all day. The only down thing is that it can be a little drying, but I put chapstick underneath to help moisturize my lips. If you want to see how I apply Ruby Woo then check out my YouTube channel. Here is the link

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2013 5:33:00 AM More reviews by moosefied

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

its my very first red lipstick and i loooooooove it.
totally looks classy and the teeth whitening effect is superb. last looooooooooong on my lips, its there, always there, no fading what so ever. i dont wear this everyday because the drying formula really hurt my lips. i just saved this for my special occasions. i buy another one for my mom, she's 54years old and this one makes her looks super gorgeous and look younger too..
hope theres a reformulation for this.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2013 9:51:00 PM More reviews by waffle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Oh, this is a gorgeous color. And I say this with about 30+ red lippies in my stash. For reference, I'm a cool-toned NW15 with dark hair and eyes (color analysis: bright winter). Although I love reds, I never apply them too heavily -- I always prefer a lighter, stained effect instead. So many swatches or pics I see of Ruby Woo are applied with a medium- or heavy-hand. So I'm writing this in case you, like me, prefer to have a really light coating of red instead.

My lips are chronically dry despite massive amounts of lip balm and MAC lippies are just terrible for them. But I was so interested in a bright cherry red lippie that I decided to get it anyway.

I need a healthy dose of lip balm underneath. It probably shouldn't be the slippery type (a la Aquaphor, Vaseline, etc.). It should probably have some grip, whether sticky (like Bobbi Brown's lip balm) or waxy (Burt's Bees) or, my personal favorite, velvety (Nuxe Reve de Miel). I put on a thick coating of lip balm while applying the rest of my make up to let the balm sink in.

When it's time to do my lips, I blot the lip balm off gently with a tissue (not too hard; that way some balm stays on). Then I apply Ruby Woo from the bullet with a light-medium hand. With any other lippie, I usually just pat/dab it on and then rub my lips together to blend it, but that's not possible with Ruby Woo -- it is so matte that it won't budge when you rub your lips together; it'll just look patchy. So instead, I swipe it on evenly, and then press my lips together repeatedly (not rubbing) to really "push" it into the lips and make it sink in, then I blot heavily with a tissue again. This gives me a matte -- but not retro matte -- bright cherry red stain. If I want it a little heavier, I swipe it on again and blot once more. That gives me more of a pure red, opaque look.

Anyway, I usually just go with one swipe for that stained effect. It is SO PRETTY. It makes it look like I have naturally slightly bright, red flushed lips. It barely fades throughout the day, and when it does, it does so evenly. Because I put a good balm underneath it (Nuxe for the win), it's not drying (although it is matte). A must-have, for sure.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2013 12:19:00 AM More reviews by galsunday

The Mac store near where i live, ran out of RiRi Woo, so i got this after reading reviews this was a dupe. I apply lip balm first then apply the lipstick to prevent drying. I outlined using Mac Subculture lip liner to prevent bleeding. I love it! The color payoff is gorgeous! It looks so chic. Its the perfect red for year end parties!!! yay!!...It looks velvety on my lips yet feels light... It makes my teeth look whiter. It lasted 4 hours on me. Im in a happy place!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/9/2013 10:44:00 AM More reviews by vickydc829

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I love the color of ruby woo but this definitely dries out my lips! I've tried putting lipbalm underneath but it doesn't work and leaves me with flaky lips that is just ewww. I can't stop rubbing my lips everytime I have this on because it's just that dry. I hope mac reformulates this because I really love the color.