Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

3.6

Not tested on animals

Castile Soap (Water (Aqua), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Tall Oil, Potassium Hydroxide), Glycerin, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil*, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis (Goldenseal) Root Extract, Hedychium Coronarium Root Extract (Awapuhi), Fucus Vesiculosus Extract (Bladderwrack), Cymbopogon Martini Oil (Palmarosa), Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Peel Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Calendula Officinalis Flower Oil, Callitris Intratropica Wood Oil (Blue Cypress) *Eco-HarvestĀ®

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I have been wanting to try this face wash for months and was so excited when I finally bought it. I read lots of raves reviews of how it cleared acne and was great for sensitive skin. This wash seems perfect in theory: tea tree, cruelty free, no chemicals. But this was the worst thing I ever put on my face. I guess my skin couldn't handle all of the oils and castile soap. It burned very badly. And as I lathered my face it would sting terribly. This was quite painful and highly irritating to me. Words can't describe how irritated my face looked after washing. My face was red and blotchy. I stopped using this after 2 days. I was very dissapointed and just threw it away.

on 4/20/2010 1:50:00 PM

I would buy this again because of its ingredients and because my usual cleanser (Natural Body Sea Cleanse) is so expensive. However, I really feel like it strips my dehydrated/oily acne prone skin. And even though my skin feels stripped, it doesn't take off all of the makeup. However, my husband uses it with no problems.

on 4/14/2010 1:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

If you have acne or sensitive skin, don't try this product. It will only irritate your complexion. My skin hurt and cried for help whenever I washed with this (stinging, burning sensation). It is a very strong product that really can't be good for your skin, mine suffered immensely from using it.

on 4/14/2010 1:02:00 AM

I don't know if I saw a huge improvement in my acne but I would say I saw some. Mind you that although I've improved my skin quite a bit I have a tendency toward SEVERE acne that hasn't responded well to anything in the past and although my acne is only moderate now I wouldn't expect this face wash to do anything amazing as I still have very difficult skin that won't listen to reason. But it has kept my acne under control, smells nice and gets my face very clean without over drying it one bit. (I have a tendency to dry skin as well so that's always a huge plus for me) Once again I love using desert essence because I love that I'm not putting harsh products on my face that could really be more damaging than helpful. It wasn't too expensive and I've had it for close to 4 months and am still not out of product yet. Just don't get it in your eyes it burns a lot. I think the only thing I dislike is that it is extremely watery but I got used to that after having it for a while. Great product. Will repurchase this also.

Skin: Combination, Other, Cool

A friend recommended this cleanser to me because she loves everything about it. I have combination skin that can go from dry to oily depending on the season and other factors. I bought a bottle and didn't care for it at first. I thought it was too drying. I normally use very gentle lotion cleansers that are usually soothing. The gentle lotion cleansers do not remove makeup well for me, so I mixed some of this cleanser with whichever one I am currently using and it's perfect. Makeup is easily removed and my skin is soft and feels moisturized in one step. It works especially well with Cereve Moisturizing Cleanser.

on 3/19/2010 1:00:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Works good. I purchase this in the big bottle as I have my own foaming pump. I use to put this is a regular pump bottle, but it was too runny and messy, so I stopped using it for a while, but now I put it in a pump, and it works soooo much better and I end up using less products. It's great at removing make up, but this really dries out my skin (hence the 4 lippies). It's also great at keeping my skin clear, but I can't use this everyday as it dries out my skin too much..probably every other day or every two days is good. I put a 'No' on repurchasing though since I do have 100% natural Tea Tree Oil that I use diluted as a spot treatment.

on 3/19/2010 12:39:00 AM

The only thing not to like about this product (probably just something up with my bottle) is that the bottle leaks a lot for some reason...

I've had a lot of bad experiences with face washes. But this one is great, no breakouts. It leaves my face looking clean, plain and simple.

No lame-o added fragrances, that's an extra plus.

on 3/14/2010 4:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Great product for oily congested skin types. Terrific value... A little goes a long way and love the fact that it's natural. Can be a little drying on the skin but nothing that can't be corrected by using a moisturizer. My skin has been clear and blackheads have going away too. I purchased the small bottle at Trader Joes for less than six bucks. I went to Whole Foods and noticed they had a 500ml bottle for $10 bucks. So when I run out I will go there to buy the big bottle and refill the small one with the dispenser.

on 2/13/2010 5:17:00 PM

i really like this product, i have oily acne prone skin and i think it has really helped to keep my acne under control....it doesn't dry out my skin, and leaves it feeling super clean....lately i have switched to all organic products (for face only) and i feel that my skin looks and feels so much better....i would definitely repurchase this over and over again.

on 1/30/2010 9:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

The first time I tried this product, I loved it. I have somewhat oily skin, that is extremely acne prone, so this product ended up drying my face quite a bit. I would then put Desert Essence's Jojoba Oil, and the dry feeling would go away. The first week, the product cleaned not only the dirt, but also the acne off of my face. After a week, the product only made my face clean, but it no longer prevented or cleared my acne. I would buy it again only because it does make your face look clean, and it isn't too expensive.