TendSkin Tend Skin

3.9

Isopropyl alcohol, water, propylene glycol, acetylsalicylic acid, cyclomethicone, glycerine.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

This literally saved my face. I'm a DDD w/ naturally curly hair and as a result I easily get ingrown hairs anyplace I have had hair removed. Especially troubling would be hair on my face which would become ingrown and unsightly, discolored bumps.

Within 20 hours of use the bumps subsided substantially, leaving me with only one or two larger ones that went away within 48 hours. No longer inflamed, the dark spots are finally lightening and I don't need as much concealer as I have in the past.

Before, I'd been treating this w/ drug store Bikini Zone and by harshly scrubbing with Witch Hazel - neither were as effective as Tend Skin. It has a strong odor, but it evaporates within 3 or 4 minutes. To be fair, as others have mentioned, you can make this out of 25 uncoated asprin, witch hazel and alcohol, but I'd much rather just drop the $20 to have all that already done. This stuff is a lifesaver for me, but I can see it being a problem for folks with dry skin so you may want to try the Bikini Zone I mentioned earlier or scrubbing with Witch Hazel. For me though, no contest - I'm sticking w/ TendSkin.

FYI - if already have ingrown hairs, use this daily 2x a day until the problem goes away. After that, just use it as treatment after hair removal.

on 10/20/2008 4:18:00 PM

I love this product! Yes as people have mentioned before, it is ridiculously expensive. BUT it works really well to prevent ingrown hairs. Best of all I use this as a spot treatment; I use it all over my face at night with a cotton pad and dab it on individual spots in the morning with a cotton bud. Overuse has caused chemical burns in the past so I no longer use it more than twice a day and it's fine. I believe the salicylic acid in it helps to control my sebum levels and prevent new spots and blackheads from forming. Will always buy this.

on 10/15/2008 12:51:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Tend Skin is the solution to avoiding ingrown hairs. I haven't used any other product that keeps irritation at bay right from the get go, and it also soothes if you've shaven without using the Tend Skin in the first place.

The downsides: It stings. Big time. It almost brings a tear to my eye. Standing in front of a fan, and/or applying pressure to the area after applying helps. It's also a little on the pricy side at $16 for about 4 oz; however, it's worth not having the itchy rash associated with bikini line tending.

Btw, this is fantastic for alleviating keratosis pilaris!

on 7/23/2008 1:16:00 AM

I like the way it's works on my bikini. It leaves it smooth and soft. Be careful as to how often you use it as I started using it twice a day and became a tad over drying.

on 6/26/2008 12:14:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I have really bad in grown hairs on my legs from shaving (I guess...I don't wax). Anyway after hearing great reviews on this product, I ordered it from Sephora. I am sorry to report that this product did ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING! >:(
Normally I wouldn't be this mad about a product not working, except for that I have a lots of little bumpies all over my legs, that are embarrasing! I want them gone! I havn't been using this product for very long, so if I see a difference, this review will change, but until then sorry but I wouldn't get it again.

on 6/17/2008 7:53:00 PM

I really liked this stuff at first because it cleared up my ingrown hairs (on legs, bikini area) but after using it everyday for a while--after shaving--I noticed that it stopped working. And eventually, my skin reaction worsened. What happened, according to my electrologist, is that my skin got dehydrated from the drying agent, and because the top layer wasn't exfoliated enough, more ingrowns formed. I actually find that neosporin works a lot better. Neosporin is expensive, however, and I can't afford to use it every day after I shave. I am currently waxing and epilating, and I think that I might try to incorporate the product into my new routine. I think that used less often, (every week or so) the product might not cause the side-effects I experienced. It sure worked well at first!

on 6/8/2008 11:22:00 AM

It's a bit expensive but it really works. I used to have really bad ingrown hairs but now I only get the odd one that is easy to take care of.

on 4/28/2008 11:19:00 AM

In my early teens I used to get a lot of ingrown hairs in my armpits, and I dreaded shaving because it just reminded me that I was just continuing the cycle. I avoided wearing sleeveless shirts because I didn't want anyone to see the little red bumps in my armpits. Then I read somewhere that Tend Skin is a miracle solution for razor bumps and ingrown hairs, and I started using it regularly. It completely solved my problem! I've been using Tend Skin now for years and I rarely get ingrown hairs now. I'm so thankful that someone came up with this product -- it's a real solution to a problem that I think a lot of people have.

It really depends what you use this for. For me, it is to keep my bikini line nice and smooth (no ingrowns) and it works works works like no other. And if you do squeeze a pimple, this will make sure it doesn't get infected and dries up within a day. For these two purposes, it is awesome. It also dries up unsqueezed pimples, too, but not as quickly.

on 4/1/2008 1:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I bought an 8-oz. bottle of this at a Duane Reade in Manhattan for $20 -- kind of expensive, but I felt like I was getting a good deal since I know that on Folica.com it costs twice that. This was about a month and a half ago, and my skin is significantly more manageable now than it was then, thanks to this product. My skin is not perfect, but it's so much closer now, and that's saying a lot considering that I am a huge perfectionist and probably way too familiar with every inch of my skin, and I have tried SO many products that simply failed to live up to my high expectations.

I wouldn't say that I have "acne", but I have always struggled with overactive sebaceous glands and the resulting oiliness and clogged pores. I also have recently been getting underground cyst-like spots on my cheeks that aren't that noticeable because they never really come to a head, but still feel lumpy and drive me crazy. Tend Skin has reduced these problems by about 75%. Everything is really just more "under control." Best of all is that if I get a zit (even those underground cheek ones!), it's noticeably "progressed" after one application of Tend Skin, ready to gently pop after 2, completely flattened after 3 (no second popping required), and after a week, the red spot's barely noticeable. This is the ONLY product that has worked this quickly and consistently on my skin!!

My daily TendSkin routine is to use it every night as a toner, all over my face...and that's basically it. I try to apply it as often as possible actually, but only at night or when I'm around the house (wouldn't work too well under makeup). It does cause some flakiness, but nothing unmanageable, and I'll take that anyday over clogged pores & bumps. I must say that I do have very resistant skin, so if yours is easily irritated, I'd recommend applying it as a spot treatment only.

I apply this stuff in kind of a weird way. I have this clear circular dome-shaped cover that I took off the top of an old eyeshadow palette (Physician's Formula Baked Eyeshadow or something like that), and I squirt some of the Tend Skin into that. Then, I dip in this thin but sturdy-bristled fan-shaped brush (about an inch wide) that I got for $2 at a craft store and is actually a paintbrush, and I use that to sweep it all over my face. Using this method (and totally random collection of tools), I've gone through less than 1/3 of the 8-oz. bottle after almost 2 months. That's not bad. Using a cotton ball, I would have gone through soooooo much of the product, because I like my face to be wet with the stuff so that there's plenty to soak in.

Anyway, Tend Skin (and this application method) has become an essential part of my beauty routine, right up there with brushing my teeth and putting on SPF in the morning. I would definitely recommend it! (and this is only my third product review ever, that's how much I believe in it!).