July 28, 2014 | 1770 users online

Conditioner - Paul Mitchell - The Conditioner

rated 1 of 5 on 4/6/2007 3:00:00 PM More reviews by lesliesitzman

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

for medium-thick straight hair, this is terrible. leaves such a build up. build up is good for thick curly, tames frizz; but it's disgusting on straight hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2007 9:08:00 PM More reviews by malarky

This is a great product. I've been using it on and off for the last couple of years - more so this year since I've gotten my highlights. It's a great moisturizer that just glides through my thick wavy/curly hair and actually manages to tame my frizzies down when I have a day off from the diffuser and just want to air-dry. Wash and condition in the shower, and then a dollop of this stuff run through my wet locks with my fingers and I'm ready to go.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/16/2007 6:04:00 AM More reviews by utmostrose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have very thick, very curly, bi-racial hair. I had been looking for years for the best product to simply keep my hair from drying out and being one big poof ball, and even though I have tried many products since, Paul Mitchell's The Conditioner is still the best. The first few times I bought the brand name version from the store (no, it wasn't a salon, but I was still in high school, and I thought that getting the product in the same store I could get sandwich meat was pretty darn convenient), until I discovered the knockoff brand at Sally Beauty Supply. It really is Generic Value Products-- Compare to Paul Mitchell: The Conditioner Leave In Conditioner. It's only 16 ounces-- .9 less than the brand name, but a lot less in price. I found that it worked exactly the same as Paul Mitchell's brand and have bought the knock off ever since.

I bought The Conditioner because I wanted something to keep my curls hydrated when I wore it natural and it consistently did so.

I love the fact that this product goes so far-- especially in thick, curly hair. It doesn't get sticky, just maintains softness and subtle shine. You don't even have to follow it with another product if you are in a hurry, although, I reccomend using more than the usual amount (by which I mean just a bit more) for extra hold.

What kind of irks me is that the formula seems to have changed. It seemed to not be so very foamy if you didn't rub it in between your hands when I first started using it years ago. If you don't want to rub it together between your palms until it turns a milky opaque color, than you'd better be prepared to rinse it out-- this stuff will suds up slightly on your hair, especially if your hair is textured. Other than having to remember to rub before applying (I sound so lazy, but you didn't even have to rub before, just squirt and apply), it is pretty much one of the most effortless products out there I have tried, and the absolute best leave-in conditioner for bi-racial hair or even plain old curly hair I have tried.

Here's the ingredients if you like to read the list on everything before you buy, like me:

water, cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, glycerin, celeth-2, cetrimonium bromide, dimethicone bisamino hydroxypropyl copolyol/white ginger/dimethicone copolyol, dimethicone bisamino hydroxypropyl copolyol/ algae/aloe barbadensis/chamomile/henna/jojoba/rosemary/dimethicone copolyol, wheatgerm-amidopropyl ethyldimonium ethosulfate, citric acid, fragrance (parfum), fd&c blue no.1 (cl 42090), dmdm hydantoin, iodopropynyl butylcarbamate.

The first five ingredients are always the highest percentage (actually, the whole list is always highest concentration to least), so your first four are guaranteed hydrating ingredients. I know some of them have "alcohol" attached, but those two are actually natural alcohols that are moisturizing. Glycerin is natural plant oils. Water's water. Shortly thereafter, you've got some whole natural ingredients/plant extracts, which always makes me happy ESPECIALLY if it isn't mentioned anywhere else besides the ingredients. This is for two reasons: natural ingredients are a consistent part of the brand's products, not just a few, AND you don't have to worry that the price may be jacked up because it has a trendy herb on the packaging front or dscription to sell more product, when in actuality, it is not even mainly comprised of it. You are paying for what you're getting. The last four ingredients are less than desirable petroleum by-products (I don't care WHAT that stylist/sales associate says...if it has ethyl/hexyl/butyl/propyl/whatever-yl in the name, it is a petroleum by-product-- just because it doesn't say petroleum, or petrolatum or mineral oil on the list, doesn't mean it's not there in another form), but since they are so far down, you will probably do just as much damage to your hair driving a Ford without a catalytic converter than using this product.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2006 7:27:00 AM More reviews by binkygirl99

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This produce worked incredibly well on me when I had looong permed hair (waaaaay back in the eighties), especially in conjunction with the sculpting lotion. The leave-in conditioner was perfect for my over-processed hair and curly curls. The sculpting lotion also worked great to tame the frizzies, and if you put it in dry hair and leave it, your hair will have the wet look but no frizziness. Times change, though, and now my hair is in good condition, shoulder length, straight and colored. I tried this conditioner again but now it's too heavy, I no longer can use leave-ins. It was great for when I really needed it, though, and certainly brings back the good ol' memories of big hair, ruffly mini skirts, and clubbing the night away!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2006 6:51:00 PM More reviews by twinkletoes0613

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is definitely one of my staple leave-in conditioners for when I want to wear my hair curly and give my hair a break from the flat iron. This is perfect for my long, thick dry hair that craves moisture. Pros: very thick, moisturizing, great slip. Cons: not much shine, and its blue in color so if you use this as a leave-in, it will leave blue residue on your shirt. The price is medium, I purchased the 16oz at Rite-Aid for about $16.99, but a little sure does go along way.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2006 1:12:00 PM More reviews by kself

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I really like Paul Mitchell. It's a little more expensive than many drugstore brands, but isn't bad at all. I have used the conditioner for years and will continue to buy this product. It is blue and smells good. It conditions well, just use a tiny bit of product for your hair and concentrate on the ends. Also, I have found that this conditioner works great as a body lotion and cuticle cream. It sinks in perfectly and again the scent is not annoying, but pleasant enough to wear on skin. HG material.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2006 6:22:00 AM More reviews by 3926sarah

My HG leave in conditioner for my dry, curly hair. I use this product on damp hair after shampooing and conditioning with the Paul Mitchell Instant Moisture line. Using this leaves my curls soft and touchable and also helps to protect my hair from thermal heat damage. I will continue to repurchase in the 500ml as this is more economical for me as I use this all the time.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2006 2:29:00 PM More reviews by 011705

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Been using this for about 2 weeks? It makes my hair SO soft! And detangles AWESOME. I love the jelly texture. And the smell, clean smell? Yay! UPDATE 1/7/07: Stopped use of this. Stop moisturizing like it once did.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/29/2006 6:44:00 PM More reviews by lovekaj

This is kind of a hassle to use, but it is worth it for the good results. This lets me comb through easily on my usually tangly, thick, dry hair and takes away the frizz and leaves my hair soft and smooth without being greasy at all. As far as the way this makes my hair look, this is one of my favorite styling products. The smell is just okay to me, but a little strong.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2006 8:21:00 AM More reviews by SEAWEED

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My hair has never looked better! I have fine, naturally curly hair and a lot of it! This makes my hair look silky, glossy, full and healthy and makes my curls look like curls not frizz. And I love the smell - really subtle. Fantastic product.