December 20, 2014 | 908 users online

Eye Shadow - Laura Mercier - Eye Basics

rated 2 of 5 on 2/8/2006 3:47:00 PM More reviews by catatonia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like the concept of this stuff, especially because i have deeper set eyes and need some brightening, but after using this for awhile it seemed like i was putting thick, white watercolors paint on my eyelids! they didn't look smooth and actually made my lid heavier. I want to try the UD equivalent that everyone is talking about and see if it is just me....hopefully not because i think this stuff has great potential!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2006 11:12:00 AM More reviews by monvai

Ive said below and Im going to say it again. This is really the best thing that ever happened to me in make up history.

My main make up look is smokey eyes and nude glossy lips, so this eye basics really help me show the colours on my eyes. I would buy millions of eyeshadow and they never turned up like in the pan without Eye basics. Now, i can apply eyeshadows easily and they turn out beautifully on my eyes with Eye Basics.

APply a little lip gloss and Im OFF!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2006 1:40:00 PM More reviews by kates76

I use this in Linen almost daily. Works well as a primer and also to lighten/brighten the eyelid. This rivals my UD Primer Potion for making my shadow last and last.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2005 10:27:00 AM More reviews by snootyboots

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I first bought these years ago, when they first came out. Loved them, but the product dried up in the tube after just a few weeks. A sales associate told me they were being withdrawn and reformulated. And after several months...they were back and better than ever. I can't live without Eye Basics. They stay matte and crease-free during the hottest, most humid New York City summers, and anything I put on top of it does too. I use the light tones as base, the darker ones as shadows. But if you're using a darker shade, blend quickly! These creamy formulations dry and set almost immediately. If you want an eyeshadow that never melts down, creases or smears...Eye Basics is the way to go.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/1/2005 10:23:00 PM More reviews by cutter333

I am sort of in between on this product. I bought it in Linen which is a kind of creamy pale nude. I wear it on days when I'm not wearing a lot of makeup and it just gives a touch of polish to your face. It's a pretty low fuss product. I did find that I had some creasing as the day wore on. I'm still undecided as to whether I would repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/8/2005 6:54:00 AM More reviews by flick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

a big 2 thumbs up from me! i have tried several eye bases such as benefits lemon aid and eye bright both of which creased pretty much straightaway. this is much much better. i have this in linen which i think is the lightest shade and i apply a little to the eye lid and blend, leave to set for a min and then eye perfection for the rest of the day. i like to use this for a clean nude look to the eye or as a base for eye shadow. i have knocked off one lippie for slight creasing if you overdo and price but this is the best one i have tried so far. will def repurchase and want to try the other colours as well.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2005 1:44:00 PM More reviews by Scout12

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The first variety of this product from Laura were horrible. They were dried up in their container already when you bought them and were way to dry to put to any use at all. But this second generation of "Eye Basics" are just fantastic! It's hard to really categorize this product since it's so much more than just some kind of primer for eye shadow. (Which it is also of course, and a great one at that). But this is a shadow in it self with great "basic" colours that perfectly blend with your skin creating either a canvas or just a natural hue on their own or mixed together. I have it in "linen" a pale beige with a hint of pink, perfect as a base. "Mocha" - a mauve/taupe light brown "almost matte" shade that is just great on it's own for fast daytime make-up or mixed with the linen for a softer shaded look. And the "buff" a medium beige/peach with a hint of shimmer in it that is just great for anything! They give a somewhat matte or matte pearly finish but one that never feels too dry or heavy on the lid, and have fast become the thing in my make up bag I just can't live without. Right now there is however a slight confusion with the product name, since Laura just recently has launched a very similar product, (if not the same?) under the name "basic eye". And on the web site these two products are separated with different but very similar descriptions but with different colours. According to this new order my former "Mocha eye basics" is now called "Mocha basic eye". But whatever is going on. May these products never be discontinued!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/11/2005 1:16:00 PM More reviews by MollyGoLightly

I have Eye Basics in Buff (light pinkish nude color), and it's great! It's like lip gloss for eyes! Very easy to apply, very easy to blend, and not sticky at all. My only complaint is that it doesn't have great staying power. Luckily, it doesn't crease like other shadows, but it does tend to wear off after a couple of hours.

All in all, though, it's a great product & well worth the money! I love the color, and it's a smooth look that you don't get from traditional shadows.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2005 2:37:00 PM More reviews by monvai

The best thing that ever happened to eye make up. Period.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/4/2005 6:02:00 AM More reviews by rainbow_shell

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I wanted to love this one, I really, realllllly did. It goes on so sexy smooth, and blends flawlessly with my finger. But an hour later there's just none left :(

I have Linen and it's a fantastic colour, plus the complete abscence of the currently ubiquitous glitter, gleam, shimmmer, sparkle etc, etc, makes me love it all the more.

Will try again tomorrow with primer...