July 23, 2014 | 1070 users online

Top/Base Coats - OPI - Top Coat

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2011 12:54:00 AM More reviews by turnthisaround

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is my favorite top coat. It goes on smooth and dries well. It's not an instant dry like i'm use too but this protects so much better than anything I've tried.
Most of the time, I only have to dip the brush in once to apply a nice layer to one hand.
I'm pretty active and this doesn't let my nails show it. Not a chip or smudge at all and it's been about three days.
It adds a beautiful shine without being too thick.

I did notice that it took some of my polish off while applying. A very small amount but I wasn't a fan of that. Not sure if my nails weren't dry enough but this has been a consistent problem with any top coat I've tried. i'll let my nails dry for longer and hopefully this should not happen again.
I kept dabbing the brush on a tissue until the color had gone so it doesn't "stain" the rest of the jar.

I'm going to keep repurchasing, even if it insists on taking some polish with it.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/27/2011 3:02:00 PM More reviews by kiburford

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really dont want to say this is the worst top coat I've had but i think it is,there's so many things wrong this top coat. First its way too goopy and thick. When i put it on there was hair in my top coat i thought it was just the cotton from my cotton ball but it wasnt it was from this goopy top coat.Second,because its so goopy it takes so long to dry.I really wanted to try this top coat because it was from opi but this was a total waste and a waste of 8 dollars. Im just going to stick with my "In a Snap" Top Coat from Orly

rated 2 of 5 on 7/24/2011 3:55:00 PM More reviews by jensingsxo711

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this topcoat as an alternative to seche vite because seche vite is hard to find where I live. I tried this and waited about 30 minutes and touched my nails to find that it hadn't dried at all. I waited another 20 minutes and checked my nails to find that it had bubbled and left my nails a mess.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/23/2011 10:17:00 PM More reviews by lrich4066

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Got this for free when I bought two regular OPI polishes at Ulta. After reading the mostly negative reviews, I decided just to turn this into a silver glitter polish by funneling silver glitter into it. Applied well just like a regular glitter polish, lasted a good amount of time with my Seche Vite top coat, and I didn't have the bubbling some people complain about on here (probably not noticeable because of the glitter). If you aren't a fan of this topcoat but still have some left, I recommend doing what I did and getting some fine glitter from a craft store to make your own glitter nail polish.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/22/2011 8:26:00 PM More reviews by xomaddiii

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was rushing at the mall one day and had no time to go to Sally's to pick up my regular Seche Vite top coat, which I had run out of the day before. I asked the lady at Trade Secrets if the OPI topcoat is good or if i should opt for another brand but she assured me this one was top of the line. Including taxes it came to about 11$ (CAD), which is about the same as my Seche Vite.

Anyways, the only positive thing about it is that it does make my nail polish last as long as any top coat but......
I CANNOT stop this from bubbling!
I dont shake the bottle
I wait until my polish dries
& I dont have moisturizers or other products on my nails prior to painting.
It also takes forever and a day to dry and does not dry to a nice hard finish (i.e. you can dent your nail polish)
It makes it more annoying that this was final sale.
Ugh, would not recommend at all.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2011 5:12:00 PM More reviews by Dimanta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

It is very nice top coat that I have been using for about 3-4 years, however the result is not that very shiny. I am looking into other options and maybe will purchase Seche Vite top coat as I saw so many great reviews.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/16/2011 8:48:00 AM More reviews by sunnyhu

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Compared with the base coat, the OPI top coat is not as fantastic. It's good because it doesn't drag my nail polish, and it does protect it from chipping or losing shine. I can easily wear my nail polish for a week with this on top, which is definitely unimaginable otherwise. The only problem that has been mentioned by a lot of users is the fact that it does become rather thick. I'm more than halfway through the bottle, and I've had to put nail polish thinner in it about 3 times. The good thing is that even when it's thick, it doesn't bubble up on my nails like what other users have complained about. It does take forever to dry, but once it's dry it offers the same amount of protection. I would like to try something that doesn't thicken up as easily, but this is really my only complaint about the product.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2011 1:04:00 AM More reviews by fionamimi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I hate this Top Coat. I'm a die hard fan of OPI but the top/base coat or nail treatments don't do anything for me.

It's gloppy after a while, and sometimes it leaves bubbles in my nails when they dry, but always on like one or two nails. It's ugly and doesn't resist much again chipping. I really never liked it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2011 10:00:00 AM More reviews by tinkerrbelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

The worst thing about this top coat is is creates little bubbles that ruin your perfect manicure every time - even when used with exclusively OPI products it fails. I brought full size and had a couple of minis to try and they all bubbled. I made the mistake of thinking it must be an old bottle so I brought another one from a store that has high turnover and a fresh batch code - still bubbled. Every other brand I've tried (except Revlon, which also bubbles) does not bubble. Why OPI? Its like they went out of their way to design the worst top coat of all time.

It takes forever to touch dry, around 10 - 15 minutes, and the polish is still tacky and prone to dings for several hour after. I don't like paying for a higher end top coat that demands I be careful with my hands for the entire evening or my whole work is ruined. I have much cheaper products that manage to touch dry in 5 minutes and harden completely in 30.

The shine is not as good as any of my other topcoats (Seche Vite, Sally Hansen, Rimmel) and does not feel as smooth to touch as them either. The very next day the shine has worn off and it looks dull and scratched. My favorite top coat, Seche Vite, stays shiny for the 4-5 days until I take it off, no need for a "refresher". Only the Opi gets dull and needs adding an extra layer of top coat day or two to look good. This wastes product, $$$ and then all the layers takes extra time and remover to apply, costing me more time and money.

I am shocked that OPI make such a bad product. It is not worth buying at any price - I would not use it even if they gave it away for free.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/15/2011 6:05:00 AM More reviews by emilysin

Not the worst top coat. But for this price? Its rubbish. OPI needs a new formula for the top coat. The end.