Dior Miss Dior

3.9

on 12/2/2004 9:29:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Another Dior that I had to try again. It's a classic, very 50s type of fragrance, and although I have spent most of my adult life in love with chypres, this one just doesn't cut it. It smells dated, to my nose. I know fragrance is a very personal thing, and a particular fragrance can be beautiful on one, hideous on another. This one belongs in the latter category on me. But in my own defense I must add, that even on a paper strip I find this to be a non-perfume type of perfume, i.e. not very feminine, nor masculine, nor anything else in particular really. In the green-mossy-chypre category I prefer the younger and more sparkling Y by Yves Saint Laurent.

on 10/19/2004 10:57:00 AM

I totally agree with "katiedid". The scent is more suitable for old ladies. The bottle is beautiful, anyway.

on 10/12/2004 9:53:00 AM

For fans of Guerlain Vol de Nuit, Caron Alpona etc. A timeless floral chypre that is always elegant, always appropriate whatever the occasion.

Top Notes: Bergamot, aldehydes, clary sage, gardenia, galbanum

Heart Notes: Rose, jasmine, lily of the valley, carnation, orris

Base Notes: Patchouli, oakmoss, amber, vetiver, sandalwood, leather.

on 9/20/2004 10:44:00 PM

I agree with those nice reviews here. Miss Dior is an elegant mossy-chypre, classy and chic, a classic fragrance but always young. I used to wear it a lot when I was in my 20's. I like the simple and elegant bottle, too.
***** EDIT (January 2005): I tried it in a store after about 15 or almost 20 years: well, probably it is a bit out of date today or maybe it is even reformulated (like most of old perfumes). I couldn't found out this special, elegant and young scent that I remember from my 20's. Anyway, 5 lippies here are for good old days when it was a fab fragrance.

on 9/20/2004 9:31:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

This is a wonderful fragrance that on me has the powdery, elegant, spicy, warm, sensual, expensive, unique, and long lasting smell and feel that I want from my perfumes. I first wore this years ago and at the time didn't know anyone else who wore it. I still don't smell it often on others which is a shame because it's so great. I'm always complimented by both men and women when I wear it and when I tell people it's Miss Dior most have never heard of it. If it's hard to find keep looking because it's definitely worth the time and money.

on 8/22/2004 10:43:00 PM

How I love Miss Dior! This is a classic worth revisiting. There just aren't any other fragrances like this on the market today. It's an interesting mix of soft woods, florals and chypre notes. Imagine what you'd get if you crossed YSL Y with Guerlain Vol de Nuit...that's Miss Dior. It's a chypre, but not as "green" as most. Notes include gardenia, galbanum, bergamot, clary sage, jasmine, narcissus, neroli, rose, patchouli, oakmoss, labdanum and sandalwood. It's not as floral as you'd expect for a scent named "Miss Dior" (which to me sounds a bit prissy). When I smell this I think of dried leaves, autumn air and herb shops. This fragrance was a stunner when it was introduced in 1947, and it still smells fresh and unique. A perfect scent for those days when you can't decide which fragrance to spritz on; this one fits well into any occasion and is easy to wear.

on 4/12/2004 9:43:00 PM

Luckily, I got this from my friends who came to visit me, straight from Paris. I wasn't crazy about this fragrance, even though I absolutely adore all things Dior. Guess I'm just not a chypre, green notes person.

on 3/11/2004 1:59:00 AM

I absolutely love this unique chypre-floral scent. On me it starts with a very powerdy yet not overpowering, soft top note with a little green and sweet (gardenia) then develops into a sweet floral heart note. Becuase of oakmoss base note, Miss Dior is not cloying at all and still retains its freshness in the dominant sweet floral note. Classical, sophisticated chypre-floral. Definitely will repurchase in the future.

on 2/22/2004 2:22:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Love this perfume, makes me unique. I feel confident everytime i wear it. I cant describe the notes as i'm totally ignorant about these thing but i smell fresh, musky and mysterious. However it's quite hard to find. I'm lucky to have a very cute big bottle.

on 2/10/2004 3:03:00 PM

This wonderful and timeless Chypre is as smooth and as round as could be, so well orchestrated that the different notes blend in harmoniously and act together rather than compete with one another or "show off". It is young and sophisticated at the same time, therefore appealing to women of all ages that are seeking a classic, refined expression of their feminine self, without ovedoing it...
Though different olfactory stages and notes can be detected, they are not as pronounced or separated from one another. Rather, they lead to another with a harmonious continuation that makes the complete experience magical and seductive. Which is, after all, the secret for the charisma and sex-appeal of Chypres – the way they blend different notes without leaving too-obvious hints as for what they really are.
You know the notes are in there, but you smell them all at once, singing in one beautiful accord!
The top notes of galbanum, gardenia and citrus are accompanied by no other that the relatively harsh herbal notes of sage which surprisingly converts the top note accord into a peach-like fruitiness. The top notes appear fresh and soft simultaneously, and lift up the Chypre nuances of patchouli and labdanum from the base.
Once the initial green frutiness has mellowed, Miss Dior reveals her round, feminine floral heart of jasmine, neroli and rose, completely balanced as no note is dominating the other.
This all dries down to a base accord of a warm and somewhat wild Chypre accord: patchouli, oak moss, labdanum, and I suspect some civet notes which contributes to the roundedness and fullness that links the phases altogether. Some refined, subtle woody notes of vetiver and agarwood appear late on, adding a clean, somewhat “sour” or tangy nuance, neither making the composition dry or bitter by the half, nor taking away from it’s overall luscious femininity.
The Parfum is a lot more fruity and round than the Eau de Toilette – the sharp (almost metallic lead-like) top notes of the EDT are softened and smoothed to resemble somewhat the citrus and almost peach-like fruitiness found in the top notes of Diorella – a lighter Chypre from the same house.
The aldehydic notes are extremely soft and feminine, and complement the chypre base to create a seductive, almost carnal effect that is warm and enveloping.
It is definitley a must for all Chypre fans!

Top notes: Galbanum, Sage, Gardenia