July 22, 2014 | 1913 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Feria Haircolor

rated 3 of 5 on 11/21/2011 5:48:00 PM More reviews by moysoyjoy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I used L'Oreal Feria in Auburn Brown # 56 over my already dyed light auburn hair (Goldwell) and the color came out true to my strand test. Although I was happy with the color, it did wash out (more than other dyes I've used).
Now for the metallic dye/salt issue. I too was worried about this so I contacted L'Oreal via email asking if Feria--specifically #56-- contains any kind of metallic salts. The rep wrote back:

November 21, 2011

Thanks for contacting L' Oreal on the web.

Feria Hair Colour does not contain any metallic dyes or salts.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,
Shirley
Consumer Affairs Advisor
Ref #

Of course I wanted to do my own research so I looked up the chemicals for #56 and I couldn't find any chemical compound that could be considered a metallic salt.

I'm not too sure why there is so much confusion surrounding Feria hair color. Just to be safe, strand test first!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/21/2011 12:04:00 AM More reviews by DryerFresh810

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Grey

I bought this dye in shade M31 (Midnight Moon) to touch up my new growth (my natural hair colour is off black with an auburn tone, but I colour my hair blue-black). The dye applied easily enough and didn't have a harsh smell...my hair colour looked great after I rinsed the dye out, but upon closer inspection, I found that it was now severely dried out and rough feeling.
Over the next several weeks, this dye washed out of my hair at an alarming rate-with each shower, I was dripping gallons of muddy-looking purplish-black water (I have hip length locs, so you could imagine how much coloured water was going everywhere). By the end of the month, my freshly-dyed new growth had gone from "Midnight Moon" to "Burgundy Mud"- my hair faded from the pretty blue black shown on the box to a washed out, lustre-less, dark burgundy mess.
Luckily my hair recovered from the dye fiasco, and I went on to re-colour it with ColorSilk Blue Black, which was cheaper, gentler, and longer lasting.
I will never buy Feria again :(

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2011 10:01:00 AM More reviews by LookingGood85

i used to use this hair dye in my teens, but stopped when I found shwartzkopf live xxl. I found Feria faded so fast that after about a week, you wouldnt be able to notice the "fresh" colour anymore!
no i wouldnt buy again, XXL is much better quality, and much nicer colours too!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2011 11:27:00 PM More reviews by MsCoconuts

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have always loved this hair dye. I must be lucky but my dark brown hair always comes out gorgeous and sparkling with this brand. I've used a tone of shades over the last 10 years and I'm always happy. Right now my fav is T53 Medium cool brown. It gives me a rich chocolately but not reddish or orangey brown. It's like makeup for my hair. There isn't any other brand of dye that gives me such a shiney sparkling shade of brown.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/25/2011 1:31:00 PM More reviews by RachRachRevolution

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

My hair had gone through multiple colorings and even a transformation from jet black to platinum blonde without a scratch. It was still soft, bouncy and full....until Feria. I used one of the red shades, Copper Shimmer (more orange than red). Faded in three days and DESTROYED my hair. It has never felt the same. It is so dry and all the conditioning in the world cannot help it. I've had to resort to using semi-permanent haircolor only in the hopes of returning its health.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/22/2011 1:13:00 AM More reviews by catcoastal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Feria is no better than Preference. My hair looks exactly the same with both, certainly no additional highlighting effect noted with Feria. And the Feria is always a few bucks more.

Please, sister hair color and makeup junkies, if you haven't tried Garnier Nutrisse hair color, try it now. It's so much better than Feria, and less expensive too.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/18/2011 10:09:00 PM More reviews by sexylovie84

WORST BOXED HAIRCOLOR ON THE MARKET!!!! this totally sucks!! I used the shade light brown on my dark brown hair, and it turned my roots pumpkin orange, and didn't change the bottom half at all. this isn't the first time this has happened, and I will never ever ever use this brand again! complete crap.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2011 4:37:00 PM More reviews by Ruby2003

I picked up Feria in Espresso. I was not too thrilled with its long term perfomance. First off it did not have enough color to saturate my hair and that left me worried about missing spots. Then once I finished it seemed to leave my hair drier than usual. It did not cover all my grey's despite being a permanent color. On the positive the shimmering effect did leave "multi facets" in my hair. But I will not be buying again. Its one of the most expensive home kits to boot.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/11/2011 4:09:00 PM More reviews by dhryan429

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The tortoiseshell brown color sounded like a fine idea in theory; practice was another matter. The application process went smoothly, however the end results were slightly disturbing. It says I have brown hair in my profile--calico is more apt (mostly brunette with natural red and blonde highlights). Maybe the multicolored nature of my hair was an issue, though not a problem I've had with other dyes, but this one left me with orangish roots (a result which others warned of) and a ghoulish mossy green tint on my ends. Fun stuff. Can't say I'd recommend.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/20/2011 7:48:00 PM More reviews by daisymrgrta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I say I won't buy this again but I must admit I sometimes get swooped up in al the hype of a "brighter" color shade..... Anyway, with that being said, I'm usually very quickly reminded of why I dislike this product: MY HAIR ENDS UP FEELING LIKE I JUST PUT TAR IN IT!!!! It's so harsh on my hair that every single time I wash it, it feels so rough and nasty until I completely saturate my hair with conditioner. Now you may think it's my shampoo but, believe me, I've switched up my shampoos and conditioners because I want to give this haircolor the benefit of the doubt but the outcome is always the same. I go from salon line products to drugstore products and nothing helps until I color my hair with a different brand of haircolor. Also, for some reason this last time I colored my hair with this haircolor it went from being Bright Blue Black to a coppery dark brown within a couple of weeks. It's as if the color completely faded out. I currently have a 1/2 stripe of dark brown hair with copper highlights in it towards the base of my roots (except for the outgrowth of where my natural dark brown hair is growing through. So needless to say, I'm going to the store to buy another brand of haircolor.