September 23, 2014 | 1837 users online

Top/Base Coats - OPI - Natural Nail Base Coat

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2006 6:36:00 AM More reviews by boscoe7777

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is an ok basecaot. I used it with the topcoat (regular) and my nails chip within the week. Looking for a new basecoat.....

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2006 12:07:00 PM More reviews by NoBadColors

Sorry about the reviewer's experience below (maybe an allergy?) but this is the best base I've ever used. It seems to do everything a base coat should do - protects my natural nails and helps color adhere. It's the best base coat I've ever used. I'm on my third or fourth bottle. Always repurchasing and keep an extra on hand.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2006 8:27:00 PM More reviews by kinonyc

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This stuff is evil--I normally have pretty strong nails but just one application of this totally destroys them, leaving them peeling and splitting for weeks! Something in it obviously disagrees with me, and I'm so stupid that I bought it twice--and tried it trice--by mistake! (I'm now using Essie Sensitivity Basecoat with no problems at all, and super-long wear.)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2006 12:51:00 PM More reviews by Mel_C

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

So far, this is the BEST base I've tried! Granted, I haven't tried them all, but this has worked wonders for me. It has a smooth, clear application, and dries quickly to a somewhat "tacky" finish so the polish can adhere better and last longer.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2006 9:56:00 AM More reviews by fivezero

This is the only salon-brand base coat I've tried so far, and it is definitely better than any of the drugstore ones I have tried (I think some Sally Hansen and L'Oreal). I really like it, but since I don't have much to compare it with, I am giving it a rating of 4 for now. I like that the consistency is thin, because it makes it that much easier to apply and it dries very quickly. I've had the same bottle for years and the consistency is still perfect (I change my polish quite a lot, but because I alternate with the ds base coats, and because my fingernails are quite small, I've yet to use it up). This base coat also allows trickier polishes to apply very smoothly, something that the ds base coats don't really do.

The only problem I have had is that darker colours do end up staining my nailsóI love wearing reds and vampy shadesóbut I haven't tried any base coat that prevents this from happening so I can't hold it against OPI for now.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/12/2005 1:00:00 AM More reviews by hotchica104

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This basecoat works really well for me. It goes on kind of watery, but it dries in about a minute. Also, a few weeks ago, I removed red polish that I had been wearing on my toenails and I used the base coat before applying the red enamel, and my toenails weren't stained! If I had not used this good stuff, my nails would've indeed been stained. Also, OPI's Natural Nail Base Coat helps my polish stay on a bit longer. The base coat and lacquer last for almost a week on my fingernails, but for 2 weeks on my toenails. This stuff is worth every penny. Thank you for making great products, OPI!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/29/2005 9:47:00 PM More reviews by no_regrets

I don't understand if I'm doing something wrong or what, but every time I give myself a manicure using this my nails chip within days, whereas if I don't use a base coat at all they last for a good solid week. I don't do anything else differently so I don't know why I'm not having the same good results as everyone else. Nonetheless, I've tried plenty of times one way or the other for testing purposes and it's always the same. I only use nudes during the summer, so I'm not overly worried about staining... I'll keep looking for a good basecoat because this is not doing it for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2005 2:18:00 PM More reviews by dramaqueenie2

I really like this base coat. I've been using it for years. It's not a total stain barrier, as my nails are still stained yellow when I wear dark colors.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2005 2:16:00 PM More reviews by nicole1234

I have been using this for a while now and find it to be the best base coat for me. It dries so quickly, so you're not waiting until you can start painting your nails because by the time you're done one hand, the other hand is bone dry! I find that a little goes a long way as well, so I will repurchase if I ever run out of this one!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2004 9:39:00 AM More reviews by EstheticianJen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This stuff is wonderful. I find that it grows out my nails more quickly than Nail Envy by far. I have learned, as a manicurist, that OPI's polishes just like their own basecoats and topcoats and don't tend to do so well (IMO) with other brands.