April 16, 2014 | 1932 users online

Loose Powders - Ben Nye - Neutral Set translucent powder

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2008 6:15:00 PM More reviews by Aque

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It always astounds me when I find products like this that 1) seriously work and 2) are mind bogglingly cheap. Just how much to we pay for the fancy packaging & advertising? If you can find Ben Nye products (PM if anyone needs sources in Chicago, including a supplier that ships anywhere in the US) the loose powders are definitely worth trying. This is a great basic translucent setting powder that works, is dirt cheap, has never broken me out & the smallest bottle available lasts forever.

My skin tone varies a lot in the summer vs winter (I don't really ever tan, I get sort of light gold, but I get very pale in the winter) & I got tired of dealing with multiple pots of powder that might or might not work with my different foundations. This translucent, basically colorless powder works all the time with everything. I've even used it to "lighten" other colored powders that were sort of but not quite right until I used them up.

If you buy this, be warned - it comes in an awkward-looking squat shaker bottle. You can shake the powder onto a puff, but I found that messy. I invested in a couple of MAC 1 oz sifters jars & just pour a little of my Ben Nye powder into one of these as needed & it makes for easy traveling too.

List price of this is $5 for 49 g (nearly two ounces) of product - in comparison you'll pay about $35 for one ounce (half the amount) from a line like Bobbi Brown or Laura Mercier. Yes, the pretty pot is nice, but I find the price differences completely insane particularly when I can buy a pretty sifter jar from MAC for a couple of bucks.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2008 1:00:00 AM More reviews by SidB

Love this powder. A makeup artist used it on me for a film I was in, and it was so great I bought some. Does not sink into lines or look cakey--in fact, I can't detect it on my skin. It just sets my makeup and keeps me from looking shiny--just like a powder should do! And it's super cheap.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2008 11:58:00 PM More reviews by Dylzaw

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i got this stuff today in the mail
its great!!
the price is sooo cheap!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2008 1:53:00 PM More reviews by MiaMoore

I've used Shiseido's original tranlucent powder and Laura Mercier's- both of witch I loved... but the price- ouch! After reading the reviews here I checked out the local costume shop and picked up the powder ($7 for 3 oz) what a bargain!

Like LM and Shiseido, It really is pigmentfree and it will set anything without changing the color. I find it isn't as finely milled as the other powders I mentioned so I have to "work" it a little more with my puff but it does blend and the tiny bit of extra effort is worth the huge savings!

I also LOVE the packaging! It comes in a clear plastic shaker top bottle which is perfect for my MUA kit... I can sprinkle the powder directly onto a puff- so I don't waste anything and the bottle top doesn't touch anything. Since it's clear, I know when I'm running low and because it's in a bottle I can recycle it (big deal to me since the plastics you can toss into Colorado's recycling bins are VERY limited!)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2008 6:14:00 PM More reviews by Mellsers528

This stuff is dirt cheap esp. when you buy the big tub and pour it into a mineral makeup sifter jar. It doesn't alter my foundation color at all and I like to cake this stuff on! After I use my MSF Natural I take the 180 brush and buff this on, it makes my skin look awesome and smooth. I don't really know if it controls oil that good cause I use this in conjunction with Ben Nye's Final Seal (which I recommend anyone with oily skin to go out and buy ASAP!) and together they're an awesome oil controlling duo that I don't want to separate just to find if this can do it on it's own. I used to use Fyrinnae's Mineral Oil Control powder before this and once I switched, boy did I notice the cake factor on my face drop! I have such oily skin so I kinda go crazy using a heavy hand with my powders but with this It doesn't matter at all!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/7/2008 6:59:00 AM More reviews by SuzieDVv

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ok well after reading the reviews here, I went in search of this powder. My T-zone shines like crazy in the summer, and so every year I start to hunt for my HG face powder. I'm a Euro MUA'er, mostly UK based. I found this online and it cost me around 9 ($18US), so it's not quite bargain basement, but it's cheaper than LM. It will also last a long time. It's a nice powder, finely milled and the scary white colour does look fine on my face. But it did zero for my oilies, unfortunately. I'd say it performed no better than Laura Mercier or La Mer or any of my minerals. As I bought it to help control the shine, I was disappointed, and would take the advice of the reviewer below - to try the Kryolan next summer instead. So for this reason, I wouldn't purchase this again, but for the price it's a great general purpose powder.
The search continues!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2008 12:56:00 PM More reviews by unseelie_fae

This is good stuff. It will set *anything* without altering the color. And it's cheap and you get plenty.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2008 8:59:00 PM More reviews by evarose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I cannot believe more people don't know about Ben Nye products. Neutral Set translucent powder is THE best setting powder I've used. This actually beats out Laura Mercier's powder which I've used for a long time, and still love, but Ben Nye's works better and it is so cheap. This is a very finely milled white powder. Don't be put off by the stark white color, as the name states it is translucent... no evidence of application expect for the perfectly set, oil-free skin you'll sporting for hours! :D Not heavy or cakey at all. Does not clog pores and has not broken me out *celebrates* You get lots of product at a very low price and it will last forever. Some people have complained about the packaging (which does suck but whoooo cares!!!)--- but no worries, just get a little sifter jar (or an empty Bare Minerals jar or sth) and pour the powder in there- tada problem solved!! I would not try to use this in the packaging it comes in as the opening is small and would make a huge mess! If you have oily skin, this is a god-send truly. I'll use this product forever and my bank account will thank me kindly. Available at local costume/theatre shops and many online costume sites- search around for cheapest shipping, because some websites will really rip you off on that shipping!! I went to Extreme Halloween/Annie's Costume something or other. I've had great service and fast shipping with them every time. Overall---- I will repurchase, AWESOME product, insanely affordable price for the product you are getting..... OH! and the Ben Nye Banana Visage yellow powder is also equally wonderful as this!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2008 4:23:00 PM More reviews by goldenbrown

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Love this! Sets my makeup just right & helps it last too! I just HATE the packaging!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2007 12:26:00 AM More reviews by starvay

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

The best setting powder on earth. I have super oily skin and this stuff brings it to a grinding halt. It has no color and just mattifies your foundation. It's absolutely wonderful stuff. Dirt Dirt Dirt cheap. I plan on using this for the rest of my life. And it doesn't clog my pores.