October 21, 2014 | 1854 users online

Loose Powders - Ben Nye - Neutral Set translucent powder

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 4/18/2009 10:14:00 PM More reviews by diotima133

Found this for $6 at Ricky's in NYC. It leaves my makeup looking polished.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2009 1:22:00 PM More reviews by angelakay016

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

One of the best setting powders I have used. You can get this online or from theater supply stores for a really good price. It sets makeup without looking like you have added another layer and is great at absorbing shine. My only gripe is the packaging, it comes in a shake out container and sometimes I would end up wasting product until I found an empty sifter jar and decanted some. I will definitely repurchase this when it runs out, but that won't be for a while since you get tons of product.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2009 10:53:00 AM More reviews by Butterflylover

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This powder is great for applying sparingly to eyelashes after first coat of mascara. Helps separate, prevent gooey clumping, sticking together.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/1/2009 7:26:00 PM More reviews by inanis

I love this. It's cheap, and yet so easy to use. The packaging isn't great, but I generally just tap it out onto the lid and use my brush on that.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2009 5:04:00 PM More reviews by jillbanks

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This little gem is one of the MANY reasons I love makeup alley! I would have never known about it were it not for this website. I LOVE this loose powder. It is an amazing setting powder that does not change the color of your foundation. It is very light...not heavy or thick. It is cheap. You get a ton of it. Does not clog pores. Sets my foundation perfectly. Looks fabulous is photos (as in oil control- even if you don't have oily skin photos can make you look shiny and this really really helps! ) I am going to order another one just to have a backup even though it will take an eternity to run out.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2008 6:15:00 PM More reviews by Aque

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It always astounds me when I find products like this that 1) seriously work and 2) are mind bogglingly cheap. Just how much to we pay for the fancy packaging & advertising? If you can find Ben Nye products (PM if anyone needs sources in Chicago, including a supplier that ships anywhere in the US) the loose powders are definitely worth trying. This is a great basic translucent setting powder that works, is dirt cheap, has never broken me out & the smallest bottle available lasts forever.

My skin tone varies a lot in the summer vs winter (I don't really ever tan, I get sort of light gold, but I get very pale in the winter) & I got tired of dealing with multiple pots of powder that might or might not work with my different foundations. This translucent, basically colorless powder works all the time with everything. I've even used it to "lighten" other colored powders that were sort of but not quite right until I used them up.

If you buy this, be warned - it comes in an awkward-looking squat shaker bottle. You can shake the powder onto a puff, but I found that messy. I invested in a couple of MAC 1 oz sifters jars & just pour a little of my Ben Nye powder into one of these as needed & it makes for easy traveling too.

List price of this is $5 for 49 g (nearly two ounces) of product - in comparison you'll pay about $35 for one ounce (half the amount) from a line like Bobbi Brown or Laura Mercier. Yes, the pretty pot is nice, but I find the price differences completely insane particularly when I can buy a pretty sifter jar from MAC for a couple of bucks.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2008 1:00:00 AM More reviews by SidB

Love this powder. A makeup artist used it on me for a film I was in, and it was so great I bought some. Does not sink into lines or look cakey--in fact, I can't detect it on my skin. It just sets my makeup and keeps me from looking shiny--just like a powder should do! And it's super cheap.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2008 11:58:00 PM More reviews by Dylzaw

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i got this stuff today in the mail
its great!!
the price is sooo cheap!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2008 1:53:00 PM More reviews by MiaMoore

I've used Shiseido's original tranlucent powder and Laura Mercier's- both of witch I loved... but the price- ouch! After reading the reviews here I checked out the local costume shop and picked up the powder ($7 for 3 oz) what a bargain!

Like LM and Shiseido, It really is pigmentfree and it will set anything without changing the color. I find it isn't as finely milled as the other powders I mentioned so I have to "work" it a little more with my puff but it does blend and the tiny bit of extra effort is worth the huge savings!

I also LOVE the packaging! It comes in a clear plastic shaker top bottle which is perfect for my MUA kit... I can sprinkle the powder directly onto a puff- so I don't waste anything and the bottle top doesn't touch anything. Since it's clear, I know when I'm running low and because it's in a bottle I can recycle it (big deal to me since the plastics you can toss into Colorado's recycling bins are VERY limited!)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2008 6:14:00 PM More reviews by Mellsers528

This stuff is dirt cheap esp. when you buy the big tub and pour it into a mineral makeup sifter jar. It doesn't alter my foundation color at all and I like to cake this stuff on! After I use my MSF Natural I take the 180 brush and buff this on, it makes my skin look awesome and smooth. I don't really know if it controls oil that good cause I use this in conjunction with Ben Nye's Final Seal (which I recommend anyone with oily skin to go out and buy ASAP!) and together they're an awesome oil controlling duo that I don't want to separate just to find if this can do it on it's own. I used to use Fyrinnae's Mineral Oil Control powder before this and once I switched, boy did I notice the cake factor on my face drop! I have such oily skin so I kinda go crazy using a heavy hand with my powders but with this It doesn't matter at all!