Ben Nye Neutral Set translucent powder

4.6

Ingredients for Colorless: Talc, Aluminum Hydroxide, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. /////////// Talc, aluminum hydroxide, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, sorbic acid.

on 10/1/2009 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This powder is AM-AZ-ING! I have had problems controlling my everyday oiliness, which has really been a pain, as foundation only lasted about 4/5 hrs before creasing etc.
This powder keeps my skin matte for at least 8 hrs+, which is a small miracle for my skin. Packaging isn't pretty, but I just pour some into an old lid and then use my brush/velour puff to apply. Doesn't dry my skin out and never effects the color of my other make-up, goes on transparent. It is totally water resistant, sweat and tear proof!
I paid 9 inc. P&P which for the amount and quality is very good, overall I would highly recommend this, def. HG powder!
UPDATE: I just have to say how much I am loving this powder, even on bad skin days, after applying this my face looks so much better. Really refined and smooth. Great stuff!

on 8/20/2009 12:57:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

This is a great powder for controlling oil!! Dirt cheap, easy to find online, goes on like silk. Huge 3 ounce bottle for $7.00. I use mineral makeup and I apply this last with my kabuki brush. I can't believe how well it works. I'm usually very oily, but this stuff stops oil for the whole day! I already use a great mineral makeup which has helped my oil problem, but with Neutral Set as my last step, I think I have found the perfect combination to keep my oil at bay. Try it out. It's cheap, so there isn't a big investment involved if you don't care for it. I will definitely keep buying this! Also, it does NOT change the color of your makeup. It "sets" everything exactly how you have applied it. It doesn't feel heavy. I can't feel it on my face which is a big plus. I hate a heavy feeling on my skin.
EDIT: While I still like this powder and still recommend it, I would not repurchase because I found something I like better. My skin has changed and is drier now. I have changed up my makeup routine so I no longer use this.

on 8/13/2009 4:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

This powder is amazing. It is a truly translucent, oil and sweat controlling powder. I use a puff from Sephora and press and roll it into my skin after I put on blush, but before I set my brows, and then use a fluffy powder brush to remove excess. This powder has done amazing things to keep my makeup in place this summer. It really does help control perspiration on the face! I was worried that the anti-perspirant factor would cause irritation and breakouts, but no such problems have happened for me. I got mine from a theater supply company online (http://www.fun-shop.com) and it came in a tall jar with a two opening top, like a salt top. I just got a really cheap NYC loose powder, threw that powder away, washed and filled the jar with the Ben Nye powder, and did a pretty decoupage picture on the lid to store mine. I haven't used it in the cooler weather, but it is HG summer setting powder for me. Try it!

on 7/21/2009 12:33:00 AM

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

I love this product it is awesome to use in the summer it helps keep your make up set and it helps minimize shine for me because of the antiperspirant . It is also great at finishing your makeup it blends my MAC Studio Fix and my bronzer or blush into a beautiful flawless finish. And it is also a great buy at $5.99 the only thing that i dislike a bit is the packaging because you tend to waste a bit of product because of the sifter but other then that i like that it comes with a lot of product:)

on 4/18/2009 10:14:00 PM

Found this for $6 at Ricky's in NYC. It leaves my makeup looking polished.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

One of the best setting powders I have used. You can get this online or from theater supply stores for a really good price. It sets makeup without looking like you have added another layer and is great at absorbing shine. My only gripe is the packaging, it comes in a shake out container and sometimes I would end up wasting product until I found an empty sifter jar and decanted some. I will definitely repurchase this when it runs out, but that won't be for a while since you get tons of product.

This powder is great for applying sparingly to eyelashes after first coat of mascara. Helps separate, prevent gooey clumping, sticking together.

on 3/1/2009 7:26:00 PM

I love this. It's cheap, and yet so easy to use. The packaging isn't great, but I generally just tap it out onto the lid and use my brush on that.

on 1/18/2009 5:04:00 PM

This little gem is one of the MANY reasons I love makeup alley! I would have never known about it were it not for this website. I LOVE this loose powder. It is an amazing setting powder that does not change the color of your foundation. It is very light...not heavy or thick. It is cheap. You get a ton of it. Does not clog pores. Sets my foundation perfectly. Looks fabulous is photos (as in oil control- even if you don't have oily skin photos can make you look shiny and this really really helps! ) I am going to order another one just to have a backup even though it will take an eternity to run out.

on 12/16/2008 6:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

It always astounds me when I find products like this that 1) seriously work and 2) are mind bogglingly cheap. Just how much to we pay for the fancy packaging & advertising? If you can find Ben Nye products (PM if anyone needs sources in Chicago, including a supplier that ships anywhere in the US) the loose powders are definitely worth trying. This is a great basic translucent setting powder that works, is dirt cheap, has never broken me out & the smallest bottle available lasts forever.

My skin tone varies a lot in the summer vs winter (I don't really ever tan, I get sort of light gold, but I get very pale in the winter) & I got tired of dealing with multiple pots of powder that might or might not work with my different foundations. This translucent, basically colorless powder works all the time with everything. I've even used it to "lighten" other colored powders that were sort of but not quite right until I used them up.

If you buy this, be warned - it comes in an awkward-looking squat shaker bottle. You can shake the powder onto a puff, but I found that messy. I invested in a couple of MAC 1 oz sifters jars & just pour a little of my Ben Nye powder into one of these as needed & it makes for easy traveling too.

List price of this is $5 for 49 g (nearly two ounces) of product - in comparison you'll pay about $35 for one ounce (half the amount) from a line like Bobbi Brown or Laura Mercier. Yes, the pretty pot is nice, but I find the price differences completely insane particularly when I can buy a pretty sifter jar from MAC for a couple of bucks.

Recommended for Normal Skin