MAC #219 Pencil Brush

4.6

on 10/15/2010 12:50:00 AM

So my dog recently, got a hold of my make up brushes and tore up all my blending brushes except for my MAC pencil brush. I loved this brush when i got it, but now i am utterly in looovee with this brush. I dont have a average size lid space and i love how i can awesome this brush blends. I can create smokey eyes still with this brush. It is my favorite brush out of all I've ever had!

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm

My favourite brush! I have asian eyes so if I get a regular crease brush, it will be too big. this brush is the perfect size to smudge colour right into my crease because this brush is puny and has a pointed end. It is very dense so it distributes a lot of colour as well as smudging. Love this brush for applying darker colours into my crease for a smokey look! I washed this brush once and no shedding at all! I can't say how much I am loving thissss :)
This brush costed me $34 which can be quite a lot but considering how I can never find a good crease brush for me, I dont mind splurging a tad for an amazing crease brush

on 10/6/2010 6:01:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

This brush is my dream come true for smudging and blending liner with shadow. It's PERFECT. There's nothing more to say about that -- it's totally awesome.

That said, if you do NOT do a lot of lining-then-adding-shadow-right-next-to-it, then you could theoretically do without this. Just smudge with something else. But I've found this is the perfect way to add a sharp, dark bit of color into the outer part of my crease (it's dense so it applies a good concentration with each patting in of color) so... it just depends on your needs. Me? I LOVE it.

on 9/23/2010 10:00:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I finally bought this brush and I see what the hype is about - moreso than with the 217, which is easily duped and not that big a deal.

I've tried so many things to get a precise yet softly smudged look on my lower lash line using shadow as a liner. This brush is the only thing that can do this all by itself. To get this look using shadow I used to have to use a combination of an angled brush, lip brush, and a sponge tip, or fingers.

Very dense and soft, no shedding. It seems like the "point" of the pencil will hold up well and I'll update after a while (like, a year or so of near-daily use) about that.

This is one of the few MAC brushes that's truly worth the money.

on 9/23/2010 9:19:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

#219 and #217 are my HG brushes for the eye area. #219 is the ultimate precision brush in my opinion, perfect for lining lower lash line, depositing colour and creating really stunning smokey looks. Also it is great for blending colours on the crease for women with smaller eyes (for women with bigger eyes #217 works much better). Costs 19Euro and it is a must-have for any serious brush collector.

on 9/15/2010 8:43:00 AM

I have the old pencil brush and it's great and gives a lovely smokey look. However, this brush I just bought yesterday has hard hairs and does not give the beautiful smokey look on the bottom of the lashes.

Very disappointed. So back it goes. I get a better look with the sephora smudge brush for a few dollars. They obviously changed the hairs in this brush as well as the style a little. The first brush I got was all bent. The second one is very pointy. I noticed they are not consistent. But they were both consistent in that they did not smudge properly. Going back!

ALL PROS: Works SO well as a dense color depositer. I use this for my H/L colors for small spaces. It's also used to create a smoky eye/smudger.

ALTERNATES: Bobbi Brown has a version of this that is a bit softer and has a bit larger tip that is a little less precise. It's called the Eye Smudge Brush.

on 9/9/2010 10:10:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

The 219 was my first MAC brush and definitely my favorite!! I bought for the purpose of smudging shadow into my lower lash line (I didn't have a brush capable of doing that). However, I use it for so much more than that! I love it for highlighting the inner corners of my eyes, highlighting the brow bone, and especially for applying color to the crease and outer V. I have pretty small eyes and the 217 is too big for applying dark colors (I do use it for lighter colors when I want a natural crease color just for contouring). The 219 is the perfect size and applies the color perfectly. This brush is essential for smokey eyes, in my opinion, and I will never be without it! Eventually I will be getting a second one!!

on 8/28/2010 10:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I use this brush but I don't really need it.
It's helpful when trying to highlight the inner rim of the eyes, but I never use it for smudging out eyeliner. I prefer using a sponge tip.
It's a brush I could've lived without.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I have a LE version that came in a set. Don't know which one - I bought it at a warehouse sale. I was hesitant to purchase due to the reputation of the sets. However, I'm glad I did. This brush is so soft on my eyes and very versatile. I do not like to carry my MAC brushes out for fear of losing them, but I felt I could not do without this. I realize this is a pencil brush but it is more versatile for me. I use it as a pencil brush for my lower lash line, but most especially as a crease and outer v, blending brush. I have a small crease area to work with but this fits perfectly. I use the circular windshield method to make e/s softer and blended with this but do still use another blending brush once the initial work is done. It's also perfect for when doing cut creases.