Chanel Le Volume De Chanel

4.2

Aqua, synthetic Beeswax, Paraffin, Stearic Acid, Acacia Senegal Gum, Triethanolamine, Butylene Glycol, Carnauba wax, Glyceryl stearate, Polybutene, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Potassium Sorbate, Ascorbyl palmitate, Tocopherol, (+/-, CI 75470, CI 77007, Ci 77163, Ci 77288, Ci 77289, Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499, CI 77510, Ci 77742, CI 77891, Mica).

on 5/7/2014 2:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Like the formula but the brush and barrel are too big for my scrawny, fragile little lashes.

on 4/27/2014 10:34:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

A couple of years ago a makeup artist gave me a tip for applying mascara, especially when it is new. After you remove the brush from the tube, blot off excess with a paper towel. While this sounded wasteful to me, but it turns out it is quite effective, especially with volumenizing mascaras. You still get the thickening effect but much less globbing.
I love the way it looks - it's so dark it makes my eyes pop. And I've never had a smearing problem. It comes of easily. It does flake a little upon application but I've never had any flaking problem later in the day.
I work for Macy's so I get it with my store discount. Otherwise, I don't think I would buy it again - it's too expensive.

on 4/27/2014 10:13:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Hello spiderlashes.... I did not spend this amount of money to end up with four lashes per eye! I have very full and long lashes, and I also have quite a lot of them. The only thing this mascara did for me was to clump them all together.

The brush is kind of terrible, which I think is what makes the lashes clump together. I'm not too happy about the super-wet formula either.

I'm hoping I'll like it better when it dries out a bit more, because as of right now I really hate it. Not a product I would say Chanel should put their name on.

The two only thing they got right: the mascara is super black, and the packaging is nice.

on 4/25/2014 6:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Update Aug. 10/15:

Time for another update. Having realized that this is the best mascara I've ever used, I looked it up, and I bought this on April 24, 2014. Today it works better than the day I bought it - I compared pictures and it was great then but it has improved with age. It literally makes all my other mascaras except Hypnose total shams. (Hypnose is almost as good. Not quite because it does not last as long, but I would say results are comparable).

I don't know why it got shoved to the back of the drawer so often and I assumed it would be old and not work. I don't know why I wasted money on everything new that came out, which really were substandard or barely good enough brands. Who even wants a 3-star or 4-star mascara and yet I accepted them and tried to make them work. Yesterday and today it gave me Elizabeth Taylor lashes with two coats. In fact one coat looked fine but I wanted to see how far I could go before they got spidery. They never did even with 3 coats. It didn't smudge or flake and it looked like a natural double row of lashes. Even after wearing it ten hours, it looked like I just applied it. Everything you love in a mascara, it has. Everything you hate, it doesn't have. PS It was worth the $41.44. I spent more than that on three recent mediocre brands. Oh yes, it doesn't irritate my eyes either (as some do), and it doesn't get on the lids and have to be wiped off. For a mascara not to dry out in the tube is unheard of, so its packaging also deserves 5 stars.

First review April 25/14:

I bought this yesterday hoping it would be as wonderful as reviewers said it was. Still looking for a perfect mascara, I spent the $41.44 willingly. Well, although it's good, it's not perfect for me. I can see how it could be if someone already had long lashes. It was said to work with only one coat, but it didn't.

Pros:
- very black
- nice consistency
- not as spidery looking as 3 coats of other mascaras
- does a better job than most products on lower lashes
- brush is easy to use
- lashes can be built up carefully without looking too fake

Cons:
- one coat does not do the miraculous job it did for some people
- it did flake when I put it on, but after wiping off the flakes it didn't flake again
- didn't make my lashes spectacular or extra long
- costs as much as ten regular mascaras on sale

I'm giving this 4 stars because it is the best mascara I currently own, better than Diorshow Iconic Overcurl which cost almost as much.

Edit May 6, 2014: I have since tried out numerous new mascaras including Hypnose Star, and they were all failures compared to this. I may not find this to be perfect, but it is better than everything I've tried so far. It's just not the ultimate.

Edit May 18, 2015: I am upgrading this to holy grail status. After one year this is still working, not dried out, and gives me stunning lashes. Thus it is better than my previous HG, Miss Manga, because that one dries out after a few weeks.

I have bought several mascaras since this including some new releases which were dry right out of the package. I can't believe how this one has held up.

As for my new mascaras, I just use them for a base if I bother with them at all. I get mile long lashes after applying Le Volume De Chanel, and they do not look spidery or fake. But the main thing is how it is still like the day I bought it. It has not dried out at all!

on 4/25/2014 10:35:00 AM

Oh my goshhh.. isn't this like the best mascara ever!!!! got a sample 2013 Thanksgiving and have it still , April 2014. Its so black yet so volumizing and lengthening. Doesn't clump my lashes together, doesn't make them hard and unbearable to take off, don't flake. The best mascara I'v ever used. Always get compliments about my eyelashes when I wear it .

on 4/24/2014 11:17:00 PM

This mascara creates an impact not only with volume, but depth of color. This is an intense black. I feel comfortable wearing no liner with this mascara. Only negatives are price and how wet the product is, especially when the tube is new. It gets better, but I found it hard to deal with a first (almost gave up). I've concluded you have take the good with the bad since the wetness gives you time to work with your lashes and the curl holds. My lashes have a mind of their own apparently need a bit more product to hold the shape I build.

on 4/24/2014 4:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

This is hands down the best Mascara I have ever used. It volumizes and thickens lashes perfectly. I even got complimented by a girl that worked at Sephora and she asked me if my lashes were real. Worth every penny!

on 4/8/2014 10:28:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

HOLY GRAIL!!

I have used this mascara for about a year now, and have run through several tubes. Everything about this mascara is perfect. It makes my lashes so incredibly long, and gives them such AMAZING volume! I swore to Maybellines mascaras for several years, untill a blogger recommended this.

I have very stick straight lashes. I first curl my lashes, then use a waterproof mascara, then this one. It looks like I have false lashes every time! Even my boyfriend asked me if I was wearing falsies one day!

It does clump a little, but thats the whole illusion that makes it look so voluminous. It stays ALL day, and does not smudge! You wont regret trying this :)

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Do I have issue with this mascara clumping? Yes. BUT truly I would rather comb it out a bit for the AMAZING volume it gives me. I have plenty of natural length but my lashes are so thin and this mascara makes a huge difference with just one coat! It is very wet but I think it will dry out a bit with a few more uses and be perfect. It's also gentle and washed off easily. All in all I love it. The only thing I don't love is paying $30 for a tube of mascara but it's worth it!

on 4/3/2014 7:50:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I bought this mascara after trying a sample and it is the BEST mascara I've used. The brush is quite thick but it really creates voluminous lashes. I have thin straight Asian eyelashes so I notice the volume. It also lengthens eyelashes which again is noticeable on Asian lashes :) It curls the lashes slightly depending how you work the brush upwards and out to the side to create a winged effect. If you have straight lashes, try curling your lashes and the look is va va voom!! It is more expensive than your drugstore mascara (it is Chanel after all) but for the difference it makes, its a good investment.