OPI Chip Skip

2.7

ETHYL ACETATE, AMMONIUM HYDROXIDE

on 12/18/2005 9:33:00 AM

I bought this after it was used on me in a professional manicure which ended up not chipping (and then, just tiny little chips, not big pieces peeling off) until it was 8-10 days into it. By then, I needed another manicure because my cuticles were looking ragged and dry, but my nails looked awesome the whole time! I was impressed! I have found that when using it at home, with a good quality base coat and top coat (I like Mary Kay's base and top coat) it really does make your polish last longer. I even found this to be true with a beautiful but cheap Cover Girl color that typically peels off in big chunks within an hour of applying. However, regular use of the chip skip does dry out my nails and makes them weak and peel. So I would reserve use of the chip skip only once in a while. 6/7/06 I am updating my review because after several more attempts to use this I still find that I have peeling nails, which makes my nails weak and all my subsequent manicures look not so good. The product itself goes on thin and watery then instantly dries, kind of like an alcohol-based primer to remove any oiliness so polish will stick better to your nails. This is probably why it is so drying.

on 10/26/2005 10:03:00 PM

I found this to be an unnecessary extra step. I didn't purchase, I won it through Allure Magazine. For the record, I don't have much of a chipping problem, but I saw no increase in wear whatsoever. I use various base coats (Essie/Poshe/Seche), 2 coats of lacquer & Poshe Topcoat. Spend your money on another polish or a quality base/topcoat :)

on 10/11/2005 8:32:00 PM

I got this as a bonus (mini bottle) so I really didn't lose any money on getting to try this. I found that it just dried my nails as a prevention to chipping. But I didn't chip, so I guess you could say that it works. I'm not sure if I would spend the money on this though.

on 10/4/2005 9:47:00 PM

FYI...use chip skip then orly bonder then color then "out the door" (sally beauty supply). I have found that these together allow my manicure to last 1 week. You should never use chip skip as just a base coat. It is a primer NOT a base coat!!!

on 9/22/2005 5:30:00 PM

I had high hopes for this product, since my nail polish always chips very quickly, no matter what I do (or don't do). However, this did not make an iota of difference. Disappointing, since I generally love OPI products, especially the nail polishes.

on 9/22/2005 3:47:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is the worst chip resistant product ever! It did not work at all and I was VERY disappointed. I am a faithful OPI user and expected better, oh well.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Did not prevent chipping at all. I have had better results wiping my nails down with a rubbing alcohol pad before proceding with the rest of my manicure. Definitely would not buy again. I could have used that money to buy something more useful.

on 8/3/2005 6:02:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I think I'll skip this product next time. I don't think it prevented any chipping at all (the geek in me just got inspired to do a controlled test, lol). I think this just attempts to get all oils, etc. off your nails so that the polish will stick better, but really all it does is dry out my nails.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This product doesn't seem to work for everyone, but it worked GREAT for me, I'm very happy with it.

I used it with both OPI brand and discount brand nail poilish and both were chip free for a week (6 days with OPI and 5 with discount brand polish). I followed the directions on the packaging (chip skip, base, 1-2 coats polis, top coat) and didn't have to re-apply top coat the whole week.

The price was reasonable, there was a promotion going on so I received a free polish with the Chip Skip (so 2 bottles for $10). Would buy again.

on 5/6/2005 6:07:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

unfortunately, my nails chipped. i was definately disappointed. in my opinion, not worth the expense.

Top Rated OPI Products