September 1, 2014 | 2011 users online

Liquid - Giorgio Armani - Maestro Fusion Makeup

rated 1 of 5 on 2/19/2013 10:52:00 AM More reviews by hellkitefly

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am usually a lurker on this site-- I have read hundreds of reviews and have been here for over ten years. This is my first review... The reason? I have to warn anyone who even has a smidgeon of a flake on her skin to STAY AWAY from this foundation. Let's face it, we are using, or should be using, tretinoin-- it's the only REAL anti-aging product that works. sSo yes, I have some slight dry patches on my skin. I have been using Ilamasqua, and I do love its full coverage, though it's lightest shade though Sephora is a little yellow on me.

So anyway, I read the mixed reviews here, and decided to go ahead and try this because I was amazed with the cool, "new" formulation that the GA folks put together. It sounded revolutionary, and I wanted to be in on the innovation. Plus the raves here are so over the top, I had to see if I could deal with warnings about dry skin not working well with Maestro. I should have heeded the warnings!

I do love the coverage of this Maestro, too, and so little goes a long way, but good GOD, it accentuates even a tiny flake into looking like a shingle on the face. What's worse, if I try to moisturize even a little to deal with my dryness, Maestro sits on top of the skin, and I can actually see it pooling in my pores in a mirror two feet away. ACK! If you have oily skin and no dry patches or acne drying up, go for it. If you have any hint of dryness or the possibility of it, AVOID THIS FOUNDATION AT ALL COSTS!

So would I buy it again? HECK NO! The expense is crazy, the packaging is silly (you have to remember to squeeze out the dropper before you shake or else you are just applying the stuff in the dropper that's left from last time). Wait until the innovations and bugs are worked through with this kind of foundation. I am sure someone will mimic it. I am head to Nordstrom's to return this junk.

14 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2013 4:20:00 PM More reviews by Sinfidel

Best liquid foundation that I've tried. Just a few drops provide great coverage all over the skin, great spread and so easy to blend. Skin looks soft, luminous, and so natural! It literally does fuse into my skin color - so it's like my skin but flawless =P

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2013 6:29:00 PM More reviews by SinCity

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I am an Armani foundation fanatic. I've used Luminous Silk, Lasting Silk and Face Fabric. The only one that really didn't work for me was FF. I was so excited to try Maestro, and I was not disappointed. There's definitely a learning curve to it. It provides light but very even coverage, and is somewhat buildable, but I find that if I try to layer it on too thick my skin will look extra dry and the foundation sits on top of it rather than blending in. In fact, every so often when I am in a big rush I slap too much on and it will get uneven and caked on in areas. So less is definitely more with this product. Because I have a couple of areas that need extra coverage (e.g., my nose) I dot some Lasting Silk on instead of trying to build up the Maestro (I'm a 4 in LS and a 3 in M). This works very well. It takes me literally seconds to blend Maestro into my skin so long as I start with a just a small amount. I squeeze a drop into my palm and simply smooth it on with my fingers, again, being very careful not to overdo it. This stuff has a lot of slip to it! I have tried it with and without primer and definitely prefer the look with my HG primer, Laura Mercier Radiance. Note that many other reviewers consider this to be a better product for combination to oily skin. I have dry, but typically well moisturized, skin with no major dry patches. Still, at times, without primer underneath, Maestro can look a little "flat." I'm almost 40 and a lot of heavier coverage foundations have started to exacerbate the appearance of my fine lines (alas, including Lasting Silk). If applied correctly, Maestro does look smooth and natural and it feels like nothing on my skin. Yet it is still better coverage than I get from a TM.

I wish I could give it a 4.5 instead of a 4. I can't give it a 5 because it is not quite as buildable as I would like and I am not a huge fan of the dropper bottle. The makeup is very liquid and slippery and gets all over the rim. Also, Armani claims that this has some kind of long term anti-aging benefit and honestly I can neither confirm nor deny it. Certainly I would not buy this product hoping to see some major change in my skin. To me it's just a really nice foundation that looks natural and feels good on.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2013 10:06:00 PM More reviews by laurore44

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

UPDATED REVIEW 12/21/2013:
I had previously stated this was my HG foundation, the reason being that it doesn't sink into wrinkles or pores. And it doesn't.

But it's no longer anywhere near HG status for me-- the reason being that I've found another foundation that does the same, while providing better coverage, less fuss, and better packaging. (That foundation is Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk.)

But as for the Maestro: I think this product would be best suited for people with skin that tends to be oily and doesn't need a lot of coverage.

If you have a smooth, nearly flawless base already, this foundation provides an incredibly natural, skin-like finish. It doesn't control oil, but it doesn't make skin look shiny either. As the day progresses, it looks better. It is amazing in that way. However, it's not transfer-resistant. I have to be careful not to touch my face, or it rubs off.

If you have a tendency toward dry patches or flakes, don't even bother with this foundation. It clings to flakes and highlights them! I discovered flakes and dry patches that I didn't even know I had. I've also noticed that it fades more easily when my skin is dry (such as in winter.)

I now mix this foundation with my Luminous Silk foundation (to help with color matching). It does mix nicely and I'm very satisfied with the resulting finish.

Color: My skin tone is on the light side of MAC NC30. I bought this foundation in 4.5 and it was a bit too light. I'd suggest a darker shade if you're an NC30.

Packaging: This is my biggest disappointment with this product. After about 6 months, The dropper fell apart and is no longer usable. The glass part came apart from the rubber squeeze part, and they will no longer stay attached. I can still close the bottle, but I have to pour the product out to access it.

Also, if you hate messy makeup bottles, be aware that this is one of the messiest ones I've ever used. The dropper tends to spray bits of product on my bathroom counter and around the bottle opening. And the rubber squeeze part get can get messy with fingerprints. Also, as another reviewer mentioned, it's almost impossible to clean off. This stuff really sticks to surfaces! (Don't worry too much-- it does wash off the face easily. :) ).

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2013 9:13:00 PM More reviews by nhuthao

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Skintone: NC35
Color in this product: 6.5

This is my HG everyday foundation. It's quite pricey for a product that you use everyday - but I don't mind paying more for something that makes me look awesome when I step out the door :) I'm acne-prone but this has yet to break me out.

I have lots of acne scars on my cheeks and a bit of redness. Because of this, I start with one layer all over and then stipple a second layer over problem areas. You're told to use this with your fingers. When I do so, I feel like I rub away all of the product and don't see any left on my skin - in a bad way! So I do a stipple and blend motion with my angled kabuki, Sigma's F84. I dot the foundation onto my face and in one area, stipple with the brush, blend, then move onto other areas.

When you wear this, people won't ask, what foundation are you wearing? They'll ask - what are you using for your skin? This blends flawlessly and color corrects to fit your skintone. It doesn't just look like skin, it feels like skin - like you have nothing on at all.

My favorite part about this is that it gets better throughout the day. It controls oil relatively well, as it doesn't allow the oil to separate the product on my skin. When I blot, all is well again. When I get into work about 2 hours after I put this on, it looks better than I applied. When my workday is done, it looks a little more dewy but still flawless.

Final tips: try this if you have oily skin. Don't use more than 2 layers, it'll start to feel greasy. Try it with a dense, synthetic brush.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2013 3:32:00 AM More reviews by gigijoujou

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Well...everything has been said...and nicely thanks to our fab MUA community! My skin is combination + sensitive I am NC25 and got a shade 4. It's not too yellow it melts invisible = perfect color! I am a big fan of natural looking complexion. If you like drama...maybe that'll be too light:) For reference, I have been using this product for 6 weeks.

I agree with previous reviewers : if you have dry patches or flaking skin, the "maestro" is so thin that it will accentuate it. Having said that...I do have tiny dry spot and here is how I avoid to show it: I apply maestro right after my moisturizer with my fingers working one area at a time and kind of gently "rubbing it in". I tried to use it with the Armani foundation brush (which is amazing by the way) but as said in the instructions, it's not the way to do it....well...I had to try it:) I found that the application with the brush WILL accentuate the dry areas and pores. Now, having said that...with the fingers and a LITTLE at a time...the "maestro" does the job like nothing I came across. I only use it in redness areas.

Now a word on the ingredients....and it's not nice. Paula Begoun, aka the cosmetic cop, had a terrible review of this product because of the 3rd ingredient: alcohol denat. Some alcohol are good (like a good glass of red:) but unfortunately "denatured alcohol" is not the friendly one. Paula points out that it is offensive for the skin and even at small dosages on the skin, it will interfere with collagen production. Please, google her for the full spiel on the topic. The product is lightly scented, not completely unpleasant but not enlightening either. I find it less scented then the Armani "Luminous Silk". IHaving said that...my skin is sensitive and it did not react. I have acne prone and it did NOT break me out neither dried out my skin.

Other word of advice: "shake the sucker!" The bottle is beautifully annoying. Press on the eye dropper to remove any liquid and THEN shake it...otherwise, whatever is in the dropper won't get shaken.

I tried and did not like the famous "Luminous Silk" foundation. I prefer by far the maestro because I do not feel it on my face and it is totally invisible. Luminous silk won't show the dry patches...probably easier to apply but to me...I can tell I have foundation when I wear it.

If you want to add a tiny bit of "glow" to the natural look...I really like to pair it with a dab of the Armani Fluid Sheer (#7 is very natural for me).

Bottom line: It is for me the best "natural" looking "foundation"/skin perfecter.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2013 4:50:00 PM More reviews by sweetsweetchristine

I really really like this foundation! It is everything I ask for and I am completely in love with it! It is so light that it is almost like your second skin and you can't even see any foundation on your skin when you look up close. Everytime when I am wearing this, nobody notice that I am actually wearing makeup and think I have super nice skin. I am using No. 4, which is a perfect colour match for me. The consistency is very liquid that it almost runs off your hand when you apply it. I found the best way to apply is to use your finger as the warmth on your hand makes the foundation sticks on your skin better. The texture of this foundation is very interesting as it is actually oil and contains no water. It feels like applying dry oil on your face but it does not feel oily at all. After about 10 mins of application, it actually feels more like powdery satin smooth than normal liquid foundation. The coverage is light so if you have a little bit of flaw you will have to wear concealer as I don't think the coverage is buildable. Also it last a good half day in the winter but I think in the summer it might last slightly shorter so it'd better to use together with primer and powder to set. I would highly recommend to people who loves nude makeup but if you are looking for something with higher coverage, it might not be the best product.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2013 4:15:00 AM More reviews by Aleppanen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this during Christmas time and have been using it since. I think it works well especially for combination skin but as other reviewers mentioned if you have dry spots, it will cling onto them, so make sure to moisturise well beforehand. I like this and am using this mainly now as it lasts well, gives a beautiful glowy finish and my skin just looks fresher when I'm wearing this even if I'm tired.
It is very expensive though, I actually have never spend so much money on a foundation that I did for this one. Think it retailed about 70 euros in my country which is very pricey for a 30 ml! Then again you only need a little bit and it is worth the money though think it could be cheaper.
As for the shades, I found just a right fair shade for my skin which gives quite good coverage also. Very light, feels little bit oily when applying (I apply this with my fingers) but sets nicely and beautifully onto the skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2013 2:36:00 PM More reviews by Scotiabelle

Was on the fence about this one. I bought it tried it thought ok and put it to the back of my drawer. I then went on the hunt for a long lasting foundation for my combination skin and bought. Clairns everlasting Dior forever fusion Sisley Ellis Faas blah too many to mention! I. Picked up the armani again a few days ago and thought wow I am so stupid this one is perfect. On me it's pretty medium cover I wear 4.5 which is perfect. I am mac nc20 or 25. What I love is its light but long lasting, this is what I've been searching for you fool.

No change to skin care can use with or without primer I also use the maestro concealer with a touch of the regular armani one on top and it looks pretty good. I have early 40's slightly dry laughter lines.

I agree it's for combo skin as it does cling to dry patches. But it's such a great colour and soooo long lasting its madness. Normally I have to blot and powder but not with this.crazy good.

So older dehydrated but combo skin looking for a light but long lasting texture buy it now.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2013 8:59:00 PM More reviews by Ewabili

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Be warned: this is a love or hate product.

You'll love it: if your skin is oily to combination. If you don't have a lot to hide. If you want natural looking skin. If you like a matte finish (if you have dry skin).

You'll hate it if : If you have dry skin (shows every tiny flake), if you want a dewy finish (powdery finish on dry skin). If your skin is not in great shape. If your skin is mature.

Make sure you buy the closest color to your skin, because of the sheerness of the pigments, you cannot lighten patchiness or large hyper-pigmented areas just with this foundation.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No