Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Pur Couture Glossy Stain (All Shades)

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

At $34 Canadian this was definitely a splurge item. I have #12 which is a coral color.

Positives are: I love the applicator which makes it easy to apply on my lips, one coat on the lips gives it a "my lips but better color" and two coats can give my lips a very dramatic look. The lipstain lasts for a decent amount of time. The packaging is surprisingly light.

Negatives are: Smells like rancid wine. It goes on thick and sticky. This is a product you want to apply in front of a mirror to get clean lines around the lips and for 6ml this product runs out quickly. Also a lot of the colors in this collection are very bold, vibrant, bright colors. The only other color I may consider buying is #7 which is another coral color.

Let's face it, I bought it for the "luxuriousness" attached to the name YSL.

on 8/7/2012 2:50:00 PM

I was keen to try these when they launched and took ages too choose a shade, went for no. 15 a fuschia pink was torn between this and no. 17 a baby pink. I find the stain very drying although the initial glossy application holds well and looks fab -shame lips dry out ina really unflattering way by lunchtime!

on 8/5/2012 10:43:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

Have one in 12 Corail Fauve and I really like it. It definitely is a "glossy stain", and despite the initial stickiness, it wears well. After eating/drinking the glossiness of the colour fades, but a decent stain remains. It can be applied in layers for a more true-to-bottle colour, but I find after the second layer, I'm good to go.

on 8/4/2012 12:16:00 PM

I Have read a lot about this product and was keen to try it. However the sales assistant tried a couple on me and I just didn't like them. Forget wear etc, there just weren't any natural colours in the range. The colours were too dramatic for me, I like a sort of my own lip colour but better. The pale pink looked just weird and the ones that looked most natural in the container were just too much. Pity

on 7/13/2012 12:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought 5 of these about 2 months ago and have worn these several times and I wanted to have my thoughts in a row before I wrote this review. I bought colors 5, 6, 7, 12, 15. They are beautiful colors. Probably 5 gets the least wear out of my collection as it is the most intense. 15 is a tad fuschia on me but I'm surprised how often I wear it nonetheless.

They do last a couple of hours as long as I don't eat anything but I don't get all day wear and I don't get a stain that lasts all day either. With some of the colors I get uneven wear like a "vinylish" coating and feeling on my lips that can be uncomfortable at times so I do not want to wear these 2 days in a row sometimes.

And that brings me to my biggest caveat with this product: They're really drying to my lips especially if I wear them for several days in a row so I purposely have to rotate these with other more hydrating lippies.

Do I regret buying? No I do think they're special but I wish L'Oreal would come out with a drugstore version that would improve on the YSL formula. I'm waiting, tapping my foot impatiently.

on 7/12/2012 12:03:00 AM

Obsessed! I bought 4 and I love!! I am not the biggest fan of gloss because I does not stay. I usually wear a matte lipstick. This product is amazing, there is nothing else out there like it. I love that it wears all day and remains glossy. I like to layer it a couple times (waiting in between coats) to get a rich color. Great color selection.

on 6/28/2012 3:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I heard a lot of hype about this product. Lisa Eldrige and other YouTubers raved about the glossy stain. I bought the #6 Camel Coisiere. The color is beautiful. An orangey, mellow terracotta shade which looks beautiful with my Asian medium tan complexion. The shade is truly stunning. I wanted to love this BUT it made my lips peel and dry out horribly! I wore it two days in a row and noticed that it does not feel comfortable on the lips at all. Plus the stain does not wear off evenly. Have to reapply if you eat or drink. After two days of wear, my lips felt extremely dry, like they've been soaked in alcohol. As if I was in the Sahara Desert! My lips started to pucker and shrivel from the dryness. Then the peeling started. I returned this immediately. Not worth the discomfort. It'll take me at least a week to recover from this bad reaction. Awful product except for the color.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

I have this product in #20 (blue-based red exclusive to Sephora) and #8 (orange). I really like these! The trick is to apply one coat, let dry a few minutes, then apply a second coat. The glossy sheen lasts much longer than a true "lipgloss" (such as the Chanel Glossimer in Calypso which I just rated an "average" 3 lippies) then fades to a very pretty stain which lasts the better part of the day. I like the feel and texture. The packaging is a bit tacky (why do some cosmetic brands think we all want big clunky gold things??) and the footed applicator would not be my first choice. But genuinely like the product. Retails about $32.

I have Camel Croisiere (7) and Pourpre Divin (16). The first one is medium coral, great for the office during summer, and the other is more mauve, more winter-y and very chic and different if you are a brunette.

They are ok. The packaging feels cheap, which is a contrast to the other YSL packaging of the Pur Coutures and the Rouge Voluptes. It is also VERY drying, that is because it has a lasting, long-wearing formula. The only thing is the texture: in the beginning it feels like a pigmented gloss, shiny but not shimmery and as time goes by, it becomes a stain.AAA for the interesting texture gloss-cum-stain, yet CCC for the drying feeling. I would prefer to invest in a Rouge Pur Couture.

on 6/11/2012 3:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This has to be one of the best lip products I have ever bought, the colours are amazing and they last so much longer than any other I've tried. It's a lip stain, gloss and lipstick all in one, what more could you ask for? Not so good when lips are a bit dry but with a good helping of balm ends up looking perfect! :)