April 17, 2014 | 1864 users online

BB Cream - Marcelle - BB Cream Beauty Balm

rated 4 of 5 on 4/17/2012 12:08:00 PM More reviews by ef604

I guess I would buy this again....I do like it but it has no staying power!! It looks good when you first put it on but a couple of hours later it is all gone. I think this is great for a quick weekend no make up look, but that's it. The packaging is awesome.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2012 6:32:00 PM More reviews by PaleIsTheNewTan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really wanted to love this, after I impulsively bought it. But after going to the dark (whitening?) side and tracking down Korean/Asian BBs, the first Canadian foray is just okay.

I don't agree with the thoughts that it's just a glorified tinted moisturizer - it definately has more coverage than any TM I've tried, and unlike any TM I've tried, this does not seem to build up anyway. I also find with my drier/combination/dehydration prone sensitive skin, this does not give a real glow the way any TM I've tried has. It is so dry that it is impossible to layer; building up with just smear the first layer. It does offer solid, medium coverage - more than a TM, but you can not build it up past what you will get.

For one who hasn't tried 'real' BBs, this is a decent stand-alone product, certainly not brilliant but no worse than any average drugstore foundation or TM on the market. However, it did not measure up to it's own claims - hence the 3 lipstick rating. This does not provide adequate moisture - I could not use this without moisturizer, but it didn't spread that well over just a basic moisturizer like Olay Complete Sensitive SPF30, LRP Hydraphase or Cetaphil lotion. It does not have a real gel texture; more like LRP Cicaplast; drier than Avene Cicalfate. The only way I can really get this to work is over a heavier primer, like LM Hydrating, the potted L'Oreal Studio Secrets, and Clarins Instant Smooth.

However, by noon, my nose & chin look OILY - and it gets worse. Truthfully, I only take blotting papers around in case someone around me needs one; this makes me oily. I can't wear this without moisturizer as it's so dry; but if I use something hydrating under it, it gets oily. I never have a real problem with things lasting on my face, but this does not. It doesn't go blotchy, but it definately wouldn't be something I reach for for long work days or in the dog days of Summer.

I'm not as bothered by some BB purists by the lack of SPF; my Lovely Girl BB by skin79 lacks SPF; so... whatever. But I am bothered by the lack of lasting power, the oily/greasy finish, and of course, the colour match could be better. I am able to salvage this with MAC Extra Light Loose Mineral Powder, or MSFN Light overtop on my N/NW10 skin, but this is very yellow-toned and quite dark in the Light-Medium shade. If you're expecting this to be an on the go easy product, and you are not in the NW/C20-30ish range, move on and save your money or Optimum Points for something better.

I did give a 5 for the packaging; after begrudgingly purchasing the Lovely Girl which is housed in a classy, mature baby-pink tube with silver stars and hearts, the Marcelle packaging is an example of modern minimalism in package design that should be heralded by comparison. In all seriousness though, the pump is effective, and surprisingly given the texture, does not clog up on me the way Chanel Mat Lumiere foundation has/had tendency to do.

All in all, it might be worth trying if you have combination/oily skin, don't mind blotting non-stop throughout the way, plan on layering this over a seperate SPF, and can find a colour match.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2012 11:42:00 PM More reviews by zhoo

A BB cream with no SPF is like my hubby with a toolbox - lots of hype, little action. Awww, but I love him anyway.

It's not a bad BB cream per se but compared to even a basic Mischa it's would be a fail due to limited shading (light to medium is still too dark for me), less than average staying power, and no SPF. I might as well pay less for more...hey, this calls for another GMarket outing!

Wait, it has good points - the finish is pretty - dewy - and it photoshops my face a bit without covering too much. So for a fresh-faced and dainty 18 year old gal who doesn't see much sunlight that would be perfect...I guess that's who Marcelle had in mind when they came up with the 'designed for Canadian women' slogan. Heck, where are these women? I'm in Canada and I haven't seen too many of the species...we all here seem to be dashing around like mad taking care of family/school/work, sweating, oiling, covered in pimples and pores, exposed to the sun... oh horror. Marcelle, could you design something for us too? please?

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/9/2012 5:44:00 PM More reviews by MW1Horse

Super bummed about this product, I was so excited to try my first BB cream.

Product is a bit dark and waaay to yellow for my fair skin tone. It made me look jaundiced. The pump is unforgivably bad and spurted cream everywhere. Why no SPF?

Not enough coverage to even my skin tone, but not enough moisture to cope with my dry skin. What's the point, really?

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2012 4:47:00 PM More reviews by Jenyfyr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm in love! I've been using this product since its release in February and have since ditched my foundation and already purchased bottle #2 just so I know I won't run out for a long time. I can't even believe the difference in my skin's appearance when I wear this stuff. Within minutes of applying my skintone is totally evened out...I feel 10 years younger wearing this. I do sometimes use undereye concealer with this product if I feel I need it, but for the most part I feel totally comfortable just wearing the BB cream with no other foundation/concealer on my skin. I love that it just evens everything out, brightens up my skin, and is lightweight, too. Over the winter I have continued to wear my Marcelle moisturizer under the BB cream, simply because my skin is dry in the winter, but I think I'll be good with just the BB cream in the summer (though I will still apply SPF underneath). So happy I found this product AND that my sensitive skin doesn't get irritated by it!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2012 6:10:00 AM More reviews by tigergirly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Boo! I love the packaging, product and coverage, but yet another BB cream with limited shades- only 2! The pale and dark have been left out in the cold by companies, it seems. I've looked into so many and they're all significantly too dark. I'm pale yellow (Mac15, sometimes 20) and this makes me look like Magda from There's Something About Mary. Once in a while, I need a bit of bronzer on my neck to match something- this, I had to smear product all the way down to look ok. My apologies for a rant- the world is a diverse place and it feels companies develop products for target customers who are mid-beige tones. Marcelle is a Canadian company, home to the apparently most culturally diverse city in the world. Shame on you, Marcelle! I really hope they develop more inclusive lighter and darker shades, since the product is lovely- medium coverage, smooth-looking, comfortable. Too Faced, Estee Lauder, Clinique, that means you too! UPDATE: Ok, this deseves a downgrade now that I've tried real bbs. Thanfully, I live right by Koreatown in Toronto and picked up one, Charmzone Ginko, SPF 50. Now THIS is what I thought they were! SPF 50, good coverage and oil-control. And many asian bbs are pale enough for my very light, yellow skin. I couldn't find a single North American bb light enough. Sorry, slapping "bb" on a tinted moisturizer doesn't cut it. Loving the high SPF, feel and coverage!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2012 9:59:00 PM More reviews by jm05gq

I have been using the Marcelle BB cream for about 3 weeks now, and I love it. I have very reactive skin, and avoid things with added sunscree or fragrance as I find them to be irritating.

This bb cream is very comparable in consisteny and coverage to some asian bb creams, but doesn't have sunscreen, which I view as a positive. I do use this product with a light oil free moisturizer underneath.

My skin is in good shape, with only a little redness around my nose and cheeks. This product has light to medium covereage, but I still find myself using concealer....which is normal as I use concealer with any regular foundation. There are only 2 colours to choose from light/medium and medium/dark. I use the light/medium shade and find it blends very well into my skin. I think I will even be able to use the medium/dark shade in the summer...as when I swatched it in store it is not really the dark.

Overall, I think this is a wonderful product, and I am thrilled that my skin doesn't react to it. I will definatly re- purchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/15/2012 7:56:00 PM More reviews by Peridot07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

At first I really liked this cream, but the more I used it the less I liked it. It leaves my skin looking great and does a decent job controlling oil. It blurs pores and covers redness BUT it breaks me out. It also has a strange chalky feel to it I don't like.

This product gets top marks for packaging. Stylish, functional and hygienic!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/14/2012 3:12:00 PM More reviews by YTHANNAH

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Not impressed. I was hoping to find a more economical and locally-available alternative to my Dr. Jart BB cream, which is a little too shiny for my liking, so I tried this. First problem is the lack of spf -- I really like multipurpose products because I don't have the patience to layer stuff on. Second problem is the shade. Despite choosing the lightest one, it's still too dark and too yellow for my fair skin with pink undertones. I didn't even like the pump. A few times it got a little spurty -- came close to splattering an off-white sweater once... eek. Coverage was about the same as Dr. Jart, and it started out slightly more matte but that effect didn't last.
I'll finish this tube but I won't purchase again.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/13/2012 5:17:00 PM More reviews by beauteous90

I really like this product. It minimizes my pores and covers up the redness on my skin, but I do wear a little bit of concealer on top since this is not a foundation and will not cover major imperfections. I have sensitive/combination skin and this product does not irritate my skin (no breakouts). My skin is oily on the t-zone areas and dry on the cheeks, but this bb cream does not make my skin oily nor does it flakes (since my skin is dry) when I apply it on my cheeks. It blends onto my skin nicely and smoothly, with a flawless finishing touch. This is not an alternative to foundations for those who are looking for something to cover up their freckles, acne scars, etc... It only covers minimally but I love it because it is natural on the skin, light, and does not break me out or make my dry skin flakes like other foundations.
EDIT:
I was so excited getting this bb cream at first because of all the hype around it, but after using it for a couple of weeks I realized that it wears off very fast during the day. By the end of the day it looks like I'm wearing nothing on my face. It didn't break me out in pimples, but I feel that it's clogging up my pores, since I started to develop milia around my eyes (never happened before). Sigh** highly disappointed for the price I paid and would not repurchase.