Marcelle BB Cream Beauty Balm

3.7

on 5/12/2012 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I bought the Marcelle BB cream in the light-medium shade on a whim because it was on sale and I was curious of what this product would be like. I'm surprised by the mediocre reviews for this product because I find it to be a very satisfying product.

My skin is extremely sensitive, dry and I suffer from eczema. I rarely venture out of my regular skincare and makeup routine because a lot of products seem to worsen my condition. I wasn't expecting much from this product, but when I tested it on my wrist in the store, I really liked the silky texture and the coverage. And for $13 on sale, I wasn't risking much. (Approx. $19 regular I believe)

I have been using this product everyday for almost 3 weeks now, and I have noticed an improvement in my skin and the longevity of my makeup after a long, hard work day. My routine with this product is: hydrating toner (Etival), hydrating boost serum (Etival), SPF30 (Banana Boat), BB cream, and for extra coverage a dab of liquid foundation (L'Oreal True Match W2) and pressed powder (Revlon photoready Fair) to finish.

Why I'm pleased with this product:
- great packaging, the pump is convenient and hygienic
- evens out tone, significantly reduces red areas
- decent improvement in the texture, health and hydration of my skin
- the color matches perfectly with my skin tone (very fair with a warm yellow undertone)
- it blends super easy and goes on quickly
- it gives me a subtle glow
- keeps my skin moisturized enough that I don't have to wear a day cream like I used to
- didn't cause me irritation or make me break out
- fragrance free**
- affordable, good product quantity for cost

**A lot of other reviews mentioned it smelled bad, but I never noticed anything during application or when it's on my skin. If anything it smells like most foundations. The fact that it doesn't contain perfume is a huge bonus because fragrance really irritates my skin.

What I don't like about this product

- no SPF
- wish it had a bit more coverage
- will rub off your nose... when making out (haha)

Overall, I consider the Marcelle BB cream to be like healthy concealer and it has significantly reduced the amount of makeup I have to use to cover my problem areas. I've stopped using concealer and don't need to put any extra makeup on my forehead, nose or cheeks. To me, this is very good because the use of less makeup has resulted in a reduction of blemishes and cakeyness after a long day or sweating. My skin is starting to look great all day long, and to me that's awesome!

So, I will likely buy this product again because it works really well with my difficult skin. This being said, I don't think it would work for everyone, but it works well with my particular skincare lineup and skin type. For the cost, I think it's a worthy product to try out and see if it works for you!

on 5/12/2012 9:57:00 AM

1. This is too YELLOW for most folks.
2. No SPF forces you to add an extra layer of cream on top. Not ideal in some climates.
3. Packaging is great (nice pump).

Ingredient wise, this BB cream has all the possible silicones in it + 2 ingredients that rate 5 out of 5 on the comedogenic scale (type "Acne Detective"): isopropyl myristate (8th ingredient) + sodium chloride (17th). How can they claim it’s non-comedogenic? Nice texture, but I paid for it with pimples.

This product wasn't horrible - it makes a great moisturizer. But that is it sadly. It did nothing for my skin and didn't cover or even anything out. I would not purchase again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I really liked this stuff but had to stop because everytime I would use it l would break out quite badly. Sad because I really do like it.I bought the light shade and it went on quite Orange and dark but once bounded you couldn't even tell. Really evened out skin tone and i only had to apply a tiny amount of concealer after, if any. One other con besides the breakout is that it was quite hard to take off.. I would wash my face well then tone and some would still be coming off. Also feels quite thick. I would definitely give it a try tho, everyone's skin is different so it nigh not break you out!

on 4/25/2012 3:19:00 PM

Pros:
Elegant packaging
Easy to use pump dispenser
Light to medium shade blends well with my skin tone (medium light)
Adequate coverage to even out redness and discoloration
Very good price point ($19.99 CND)

Cons:
The smell
Did not control oil at all, face looked really shiny after a few hrs
Adhered to dry patches of skin making them look worse, especially around the blemishes that were drying up
No SPF

Basically I felt this was more like a tinted moisturizer as opposed to a genuine BB cream. The bottle states it's for all skin types but I would be hard pressed to recommend this to someone with really oily or really dry skin. Somewhere in the middle is best. The worst part of this product is the smell, horrible, like chemical rot. I have ordered Skin79 Hot Pink BB cream and hope to have better results with that brand. I have no issues with Marcelle in general but this is not a true BB cream and should be sold as a tinted moisturizer. Also, no SPF protection in this day and age, seriously?

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product did not work for my oily skin. I tried it alone, with powder, with my foundation.. I just couldn't get it to stick on my skin. At the end of the day, I would have puddles of makeup, and bb cream all over the oily zones of my face. The packaging is nice, and the colour does seem to blend in nicely as well, but the lasting effect just wasn't there. I gave it to to my friend who has normal, non problematic skin, and she loves it. I think it really depends on the skin type.

on 4/22/2012 6:54:00 PM

Overall, I'm really loving this BB cream.

Pros:
- Lovely packaging with pump
- Reasonably priced for a BB cream
- Doesn't feel heavy on skin
- Does not accentuate dry skin
- Very buildable
- Easy to blend
- Does not break me out

Cons:
- The smell is disgusting
- Color selection is limited
- No SPF

on 4/21/2012 5:21:00 PM

Love this product, a bought both the light and the darker shade and mix them together. Goes on beautifully ( I use my beauty blender when applying) and it has replaced my regular foundation. I find it gives good coverage and covers my sometimes blotchy skin (redness). My only negative is I don't think it has sun protection so I use my Murad oil free cream with SPF15 in it before putting this on, but I did that with my regular foundation any way.

on 4/17/2012 12:08:00 PM

I guess I would buy this again....I do like it but it has no staying power!! It looks good when you first put it on but a couple of hours later it is all gone. I think this is great for a quick weekend no make up look, but that's it. The packaging is awesome.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I really wanted to love this, after I impulsively bought it. But after going to the dark (whitening?) side and tracking down Korean/Asian BBs, the first Canadian foray is just okay.

I don't agree with the thoughts that it's just a glorified tinted moisturizer - it definately has more coverage than any TM I've tried, and unlike any TM I've tried, this does not seem to build up anyway. I also find with my drier/combination/dehydration prone sensitive skin, this does not give a real glow the way any TM I've tried has. It is so dry that it is impossible to layer; building up with just smear the first layer. It does offer solid, medium coverage - more than a TM, but you can not build it up past what you will get.

For one who hasn't tried 'real' BBs, this is a decent stand-alone product, certainly not brilliant but no worse than any average drugstore foundation or TM on the market. However, it did not measure up to it's own claims - hence the 3 lipstick rating. This does not provide adequate moisture - I could not use this without moisturizer, but it didn't spread that well over just a basic moisturizer like Olay Complete Sensitive SPF30, LRP Hydraphase or Cetaphil lotion. It does not have a real gel texture; more like LRP Cicaplast; drier than Avene Cicalfate. The only way I can really get this to work is over a heavier primer, like LM Hydrating, the potted L'Oreal Studio Secrets, and Clarins Instant Smooth.

However, by noon, my nose & chin look OILY - and it gets worse. Truthfully, I only take blotting papers around in case someone around me needs one; this makes me oily. I can't wear this without moisturizer as it's so dry; but if I use something hydrating under it, it gets oily. I never have a real problem with things lasting on my face, but this does not. It doesn't go blotchy, but it definately wouldn't be something I reach for for long work days or in the dog days of Summer.

I'm not as bothered by some BB purists by the lack of SPF; my Lovely Girl BB by skin79 lacks SPF; so... whatever. But I am bothered by the lack of lasting power, the oily/greasy finish, and of course, the colour match could be better. I am able to salvage this with MAC Extra Light Loose Mineral Powder, or MSFN Light overtop on my N/NW10 skin, but this is very yellow-toned and quite dark in the Light-Medium shade. If you're expecting this to be an on the go easy product, and you are not in the NW/C20-30ish range, move on and save your money or Optimum Points for something better.

I did give a 5 for the packaging; after begrudgingly purchasing the Lovely Girl which is housed in a classy, mature baby-pink tube with silver stars and hearts, the Marcelle packaging is an example of modern minimalism in package design that should be heralded by comparison. In all seriousness though, the pump is effective, and surprisingly given the texture, does not clog up on me the way Chanel Mat Lumiere foundation has/had tendency to do.

All in all, it might be worth trying if you have combination/oily skin, don't mind blotting non-stop throughout the way, plan on layering this over a seperate SPF, and can find a colour match.