April 18, 2014 | 1897 users online

Lips - Revlon - Colorburst Lip Butter in Red Velvet

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 1/12/2012 11:45:00 PM More reviews by allyson85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought these after seeing so many youtube reviews and I really liked what I saw. I am not a fan of lipstick...pretty much any lipstick. I do not like the way they feel on my lips whether moisturizing or long wear or shear.

I love these formulas and colors. This color is probably my favorite that I purchased. I have a hard time finding a red that works for my coloring. I love that it is more of a brick red that is shear.

Because this has more of a balm texture you will have to reapply this. I don't use this as a balm but more for color.

Considering also that red lipsticks are one of the hardest colors to apply this is soooooooo easy.

I like the packaging. I like that it is in a lipstick tube and not a chapstick type tube. I like that the lid overs the whole tube and it clicks so it doesn't come off in my purse.

I think these are pretty reasonably priced. I have purchased the Dior, Laura Mercier, Fresh and Sephora. I much prefer these for price and color payoff.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2012 4:08:00 AM More reviews by MARmaladeJay

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

PACKAGING:
It is packaged in your typical lipstick swivel case with a quilt-frosted cap that matches the shade in which you purchase. The top has a clear window so you could actually see the color.

This is not so much a packaging complaint, more of the consistency of the product itself. Beware not to press too hard upon application as these are quite soft. The stick itself will shift and smoosh as you roll it back down leaving messy sides. When you go and close with the cap, it will smear.

OVERALL:
Red Velvet is your average shade of red. On my cool tone tanned skin, it looks more of a brick red. Reds are hit or miss for me and this is a miss. It wasn't the red I was going for, it looked too brown on me. So I experimented and the advantage of these balms being so pigmented, I layered Sugar Plum over Red Velvet and became more of a blue-based shade. The shade was improved a little.

For a balm, this is an OK product, which is why I took 2 lippies away. When I first purchased this, I generously used this for two days straight. By the second day, I noticed my lips became chapped. In fact, my lips began to peel. My lips were not dry prior to using this product, so between not having dry lips and using these lip butters, I can say these were the culprit of peeling lips.

I want to say the consistency reminds me of Palladio's Herbal Tinted Lip Balm. These also are similar in concept, but I prefer the Palladio over Revlon's. In addition, they are half the price.

I'm using this strictly for color. Since I do like the Red Velvet and Sugar Plum together, I would suggest using a lip moisturizer underneath this. Once this tube is done, I won't be buying any backups.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/25/2011 8:35:00 PM More reviews by placidkath

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am fair skinned with brown eyes and chestnut hair. I had been looking for the Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Red Velvet for about a month. I had read so much about it. Most reds look garish on me. However, this is not the case with this product. It is beautiful and pigmented. Unusual for a lip butter. I gave it a 4 because it is not a long wearing product, which is to be expected for this type of product. It does leave a light stain. I must say it is longer wearing than any other lip gloss type product I have used before. It was a long search to find this color. When I found it, it was the last one left. So if you are looking for your perfect darkish blue/red, keep looking it will be worth the work you put into finding it.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/23/2011 9:01:00 PM More reviews by Cayla29S

I was a bit surprised by this shade. I bought Gumdrop and Cotton Candy and these 2 are quite sheer. RV is so pigmented just like lipstick. I'm not sure if I personally like this particular shade on me but I can make it work.

I wish they would make all the lip butters more pigmented or just call it lipstick with all the same formula. I feel like this whole line is a bit of gimmick. It's practically a tinted lipbalm. Burt's bees make better ones and it's half the price.

The most annoying about drugstore product is sometimes they never have a tester of the color so you have no clue what it looks like on you. I feel that they are never true to the color that is in the package.

I won't be buying any of these lip butters..I don't get what's with all the hype about these and I can't believe I fell for it.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2011 8:51:00 PM More reviews by prettykitty1423

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

Absolutely breathtaking!
It's a deep, creamy red. It's decently pigmented.
I thought it might be overwhelming on my very fair skin, so I hesitantly swiped on a tiny bit.
Seeing that it was fine, I added more. And more. And more, until I had a beautiful retro lip. With some cat-eye eyeliner, I felt beautiful.
Lasting power isn't amazing, but it feels so good to swipe on I don't mind :)
It has no scent or flavour, so it's fine for everyone.
I love this so much!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/16/2011 10:48:00 AM More reviews by KristaniA

I like Red Velvet, but probably not enough to make me want to repurchase it. It's challenging for me to find a good red shade that can work on my skin tone. Some are too blue-ish and others are too orange-ish (maybe because I'm not that adventurous when it comes to lip colors). Red Velvet is a dark red color with brown undertone. It works well with my yellow-based complexion. However, I found that the formula isn't as moisturizing as the other shade I have, Pink Truffle. It settles into fine lines and can make my lips look like a prune :( I have to reeaaaally moisturize my lips before putting this on. The staying power is quite good, though. I'd say it lasts for 3-4 hours before I have to re-apply.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2011 11:40:00 PM More reviews by soulsupermodel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

Love this stuff. I'm not too afraid of bold lip colors, but I never thought I'd go for such a deep red as Red Velvet. In fact, I bought NINE other lip butters (love them all) before I got this one - admittedly, Red Velvet was also the hardest to find, so that caused some delay too.

Anyway, it's probably my absolute favorite of the bunch. I'm very pale, with big eyes and short curly hair, and wearing this with just a good coat of mascara makes me feel like I'm from Hollywood or something. It's totally not too dark, or tacky, or distracting. It's just a beautiful, sophisticated, pigmented deep red. I even put it on to show my boyfriend and he said I should just wear it all the time.

I love the lip butters in almost every color, but I do agree, this is one of the prettiest and I think it'd be rather versatile. You should really give it a go, especially during this winter and holiday season when it'd be just perfect - I can't wait to wear this more :)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2011 3:35:00 AM More reviews by shriekingviolet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Love this red! Red lipstick often looks garish on me, but this looks really chic and nice. It's more of a brick red than a classic bright red, but I think that's what makes it work on me. It's neither cool or warm. It's darker and more pigmented than the other shades of lip butters, more akin to a regular lipstick but it's still semi sheer and glossy. Once swipe gives you a bold, not-quite opaque red and two will get you nearly full coverage. One coat blotted gives a lovely red stain.

The formula is great. It's not moisturizing enough to replace a lip balm, but it's soft and emollient enough to soothe lips that might be bothered by the cold, wind or indoor heating. It feels glossy and smooth on.

The wear on this one is really nice. The shine wears off after two hours or so, but the color sticks around for at least another two hours and towards the end of its life looks like a red version of a MLBB stain. I like that look a lot!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2011 11:02:00 PM More reviews by JChrisBee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm going to try more colors like Fig Jam, which has more brown in it and Creme Brulee, which looks like a beautiful nude color. But, I tried Red Velvet first because of all the videos on Youtube that hyped it up. From what I could tell it looked like a marroon red, but on me it is a berry red veering towards bright. I think I like the color on me. I have to get used to it first. It is nicely pigmented and moisurizing like a balm.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/7/2011 5:42:00 PM More reviews by jet8848

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought several lip butter shades including this one (Red Velvet). I wish I would have bought one at a time to test out. Red Velvet is more of a burgundy red than I wanted. I find Red Velvet to be drying and waxy. It bleeds badly, also. I haven't tried the other butters, yet. I hope they are better. I may try to return this.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No