John Frieda Sheer Blonde Highlighting Shampoo

3.4

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This shampoo is very, very drying and the conditioner is nothing to write home about, either. I used one bottle of this and hated it. I have pale strawberry blonde hair. You would be better off buying a natural, sulfate-free shampoo that will brighten and preserve highlights without drying out your hair. In fact the sulfates in here will strip highlights faster than anything else.... just tried it again and I remembered that the worst thing about it is my itchy scalp, similar to Dove's Intense Moisture Shampoo.... I think the silicones build up.

on 3/20/2007 9:42:00 AM

I used to love this shampoo before they changed the ingredients.. it did what it said, it made my hair really blonde, lightened my regrowth and was an all round great shampoo!
However.. After 2 years of using it, alternating between that and a medical shampoo as i had been fighting an itchy, flaky scalp for 2 years.. i went away on holiday for week and forgot my shampoo!!! (I'd thrown an empty bottle in my washbag instead of the new bottle!) and had to cope a whole week using my fiance's Pantene.... well... suddenly my scalp no longer itched... i no longer wanted to rip my hair from my head!!!! Turned out i'd been allergic to it all along!!!

I used the "new imporved" formula a little while ago.. no itching and no blonde?! The new ingredients are now scalp friendly but doesnt do the job!

I have yet to find a blonde shampoo that was an effective in lightening my highlights.. I used the Redken Blonde shampoo or the Andrew Collinge. Both are good but neither have the same lightening effect.
Im a Kerastase user now... if only they would bring out a blonde shampoo!

on 1/22/2007 10:39:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

my hair is a dull dirty blonde/mousy brown in winter and I wanted something to give it golden highlights, like when it gets naturally bleached in the summer sun. I didn't expect anything drastic, but after using this twice I had big streaks of blonde, several shades lighter than the rest of my hair almost as if i'd had it bleached, and the thinner front bit had turned mid/light blonde, however i have very fine hair, normally quite silky and this stuff totally weighed it down and made it heavy and coarse. I tried the hair repair from the same range and it just made it worse so I washed it out with my normal shampoo and conditioner, and I think the blonde has pretty much washed out and it is almost completely back to it's original colour, suggesting this stuff just coats your hair with colour rather than actually lightening it.

I'm a 36 year old natural blonde and I like this product! I use the shampoo and the conditioner everyday. I have naturally straight hair and this product doesn't make my hair frizzie or dry. I can tell a different in my natural highlights. I also use the highlighting creme to give my hair a kick once a week especially during the winter months.

I've read the other reviews on this site and do not agree with them on this product line. Maybe you shouldn't use this product if you color/process your hair. :)

on 11/13/2006 9:44:00 PM

didn't do anything good for my hair color. my blond highlights ended up blending with the brown, so it just looked like allover sandy brown from far.

and after a while, it adds so much build up to hair, disgusting. it's an okay product if you don't use it too much, and switch it up w/ other products.

but the packaging is nice

on 10/15/2006 1:45:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Did nothing for me apart from weigh my hair down and make it look dull and feel coarse. I love my curls and they dropped whenever I washed with JF. My hair looked like I had the flu or something. There are so many other superior products out there compared to this overpriced travesty (and yes, I think it's overpriced if it doesnt work). Nicely packaged, but that's hardly the point, is it?

on 9/26/2006 2:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I thought I liked this product until I went back to using my regular shampoo after running out of this and being too lazy to buy more. I noticed that my hair was better looking and easier to manage with cheap White Rain shampoo than this. With the Sheer Blonde, I was using twice as much conditioner and I honestly don't think it looked any blonder. However, I would try it again just to experiment.

on 9/26/2006 11:24:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I bought this and the conditioner in a sample size from the store. I have long dry hair with blonde highlights an oily scalp. Since we moved to a house with hard water, I've had a difficult time finding a shampoo that will clean my hair well and give it enough conditioning. This combination is working pretty well for that and I am probably going to repurchase because I haven't found anything better for daily use.

on 9/7/2006 1:13:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I like this shampoo I use it with the new formula moisturizing conditoner and leave in spray. It smells fresh and my highlighted hair feels good. I used it a few years ago and I didn't like it. I was happy that I risked it and tried again.

I'm laughing to myself as I write this because I seriously thought I had already reviewed it....I have been using this for years. The Sheer Blonde Line is a favorite of mine, but let me just make it clear that it is intended for blondes only....because I have heard of some brunettes complaining that JF Sheer Blonde products don't lighten their hair. Anyways, I have this in the shade for darker blonde hair and I mix it with the shade for lighter blonde hair because mine is somewhere in between. This keeps my hair shiny and happy and healthy and I have absolutely no complaints. Smells nice, lathers well, etc; I have been using this for years and they recently reformulated the formula to make it even more moisturizing. If you're a blonde, I couldn't think of a better shampoo to help nourish and protect your color.

Top Rated John Frieda Products