September 21, 2014 | 1004 users online

Foundations - Tarte - Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full-Coverage Foundation SPF 15

rated 2 of 5 on 4/7/2014 1:44:00 AM More reviews by JLeah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have fair skin So i liked the fact that this foundation actually came in nice fair skin colors. I also liked the fact that it did not oxidize over time . It had a nice feel to it and the coverage was good . however for myself it dried out my skin, mainly my forehead. SO all in all it is a good foundation however i would recommend trying it out first to see if it works for your skin . i have combination skin (oily in the summer dry in the winter , o the joy) I would have loved to keep using it but it just dried out my skin to much. great texture I liked the clay feeling .
hope this helps those who are looking to purchasing this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2014 10:27:00 PM More reviews by bagmad

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the best foundation I have ever used and I've used many HE brands - Dior Forever (which is pretty good), Chanel Perfection Lumiere (so so, no staying power), YSL Éclat (sinks into my pores), Guerlain Perure Lumiere (also not bad). Where the Tarte foundation stands out is it's texture, consistency and the beautiful finish it leaves.

As I am older (fair with normal skin veering to combination t-zone) and live in the tropics, I pile on a lot of products before foundation - toner, skin lightener, 2 types of serum, moisturiser, SPF and primer - and I thus have quite a sticky sometimes greasy and slippery surface before my foundation goes on and any foundation has to contend with all these other products that I have applied ahead of it. No easy task, and through much trial and error, I know that liquidy and compact (solid) foundations don't work as well, owing to the slippery/sticky base that I already have on. So it's not the fault of the other brands that many have given me average results because I know I have not given them an easy base to work with/blend into.

Enter this Tarte foundation. Its texture is more creamy and thicker than liquid so there is less slip, and when buffed into my skin with a stippling brush, it absorbs and blends so well with all my other creams and SPF that it gives me such a flawless and seamless canvas that is matte yet glowy and not shiny and does not cake or emphasise lines at all. Many other good foundations used to leave me looking greasy because of the other products I have on but this one has such good synergy with everything else underneath, it is quite unbelievable. I don't even have to powder much, I just lightly dust with the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder. I live in a humid country as well, but the foundation doesn't melt off or disappear. If it helps, I use a light water based SPF and the Hourglass mineral veil primer before applying the foundation.

All in, I am very impressed and can't believe how beautifully it works, and compared to other HE brands, the price is totally worth it. To be honest, I will gladly pay double the price, given the fantastic results. This is really a keeper, and I couldn't be happier.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2014 10:42:00 PM More reviews by Jessehill

I swear by this foundation. I have tried a lot for my dry porcelain skin and was never satisfied until now! My skin tends to be pretty dry but the clay in this foundation really helped my skin to maintain a fresh glow all day. Its also waterproof! I know even when I'm caught in the rain or sweating bullets that my foundation is in tact. I definitely recommend it to anyone with extremely fair skin like me. I have it in the lightest shade and love it.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/4/2014 12:11:00 AM More reviews by Sandy1213

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Hey guys! Just wanna let you know that sudania or whatever her name is took the time to send me a message to tell me how wrong I was about tarte! Lol! At like 4 in the morning too. She needs a life poor thing.... She says just because I'm too dark... Hmmm how does she figure I'm too dark? That's funny. Anyways I just wanna let everyone know it didn't work for me. I stated that it gave great coverage! And it may work for some people! Good for you if it does! I was disappointed that it didn't work for me. I'm entitled to my opinion. That's what MUA is for anyway right? There are lots of things people review about that I don't agree with but I don't stalk the person an send them multiple emails. Poor girl. She really likes that foundation I guess lol. So to everyone it works for great for you! To those of us who couldn't find a color match with the few they offer on to the next foundation!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/2/2014 11:04:00 AM More reviews by CountessOfPerth

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Grey

I love this foundation; I have it in Fair Sand, the lightest shade, which can look somewhat yellow but if my skin is moisturized, this foundation glides over my skin and looks totally natural, so it's a pretty decent color match, though Tarte is notorious for having yellow foundations, so be sure to swatch in store before you buy.
I know people say they find this foundation hydrating, but for me, if my skin is not completely plump, soft, and moisturized, this clings like nothing else and I literally have to wash it off my face. But since I do tend to keep my skin hydrated, this has become my go-to foundation.
It has a thick, cream texture and I find it works best with my ELF flat-top powder brush. This does have really great coverage and has a nice semi-matte finish. It definitely doesn't last 12 hours (and I have dry skin), but that's no big deal for me.
This is worth a try. I think the biggest problem for most people will be the color match and the clinging to dry patches.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2014 7:39:00 AM More reviews by Sudania

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I LOVE IT! THE SHADE LOOKS GREAT ON ME!! The consistency is perfect..not runny like water, you squeeze a dollup and you can turn your hand upside down and it wont drip! soo light and fluffy.
Goes on the skin like a dream
you can blend it with your hands even if you are on the go and you dont have time to blend with a brush for precision! this is amazing also when used with a beauty blender brush. Skin looks flawless!
TARTE,PLEASE CONTINUE MAKING THIS PERFECTION!
Dont listen to reviews by sandy1213...there are many shades. they dont need to cater to every single human.Just because you were too dark for a foundation,doesnt mean they are not carrying a variety.
the more colors, the more confusion! I would hate to walk into a store and see 10000000 different shades. If you dont liek whats offered there are many companies that cater to dark skin(Iman,Queen Latiah collection,Milani,etc) they do it by the majority of the world. The majority of the world fit in the shades given by Tarte.
You know a foundation is amazing when you can go shades lighter and it still looks perfect on you. This molds to your skin! it looks like it was made for you! I called Sephora before going there to see if they have the shade I want, and the woman told me they did but it was the last one in stock! she saved it in my name :D I looked at the other products and people took EVERYTHING! I dont blame them,Tarte is a great brand. This is coming from a dedicated DIE HARD NARS gal!
Love the packaging! soo easy to use, a break from the foundation in a bottle that you have to pump out. Sorry Nars :(
you squeeze it out like toothpaste and I don't feel like Im wasting any product because no product is getting stuck in the "pump" or nozzle. It just goes from in the tube and out a small hole! the bamboo top is soo cute! not only is it cute but it goes with the theme of the brand. Also, it makes for an easy grip! unlike plastic or glass where your hands have to be 100% dry to open. The wood gives you a good grip,whether your hands are wet/damp/dry.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/1/2014 7:03:00 AM More reviews by gaiLyghia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

1 star for good coverage, and another 1 for matching my skin tone perfectly. I'm using this foundation inconsistently for almost a month. Whenever I use this my face will be AWESOME for the first five hours and after that it will start looking dry and blotchy but my T-zone is shiny and oily.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2014 10:41:00 AM More reviews by jarona

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

As I get older, my skin has gone through so many changes that I find myself on the constant search for a foundation that is friendly to dry, aging skin. This search isn't easy. My favorite foundation used to be the MUFE High-Definition liquid foundation, but either the formula has been changed or my skin just did some fast-track changing. It doesn't work for me anymore.
Other foundations oxidize on my in a matter of minutes making me look like an Oompah Loompah--and even others make my skin look cakey and even more dry...not a good look on a woman in her very late '50's if you catch my drift.
Surprisingly enough, I came across this Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full Coverage foundation from a suggestion of a S/A at Sephora. I explained my desert-like, arid skin and my foundation dilemma and she walked me over to the Tarte section. At first I was a bit taken aback, but then she worked her magic and I've followed suit and I'm telling you, this is a keeper!
Here's how it rolled: I'm extremely fair with pink undertones. She picked out the very lightest foundation, which I thought would work--but it was too light. Next she picket out the Light/Medium Beige--which is best suited for light skin with pink undertones. Darned if it wasn't an exact match. She worked the foundation in with the Tarte Airbrush Finish Foundation Brush..which costs $32.00. In the past, foundation brushes were too stiff for me to work and blend foundation in--however, this brush is nice and soft and surprisingly, did a fantastic job. NOW--ladies over 50--listen to me. She also mixed a bit of moisturizer in with the foundation..she said if I had a moisturizing BB cream that would work just as well ( HINT: Yves St. Laurent BB Cream is what I have at home and it works wonderfully)..after the blend in with the brush, I was amazed at how nice and glowy my skin looked.
Fast forward to a few days later. I had been following the instructions to a T. Two women at work asked me what makeup I was using b/c my face and skin looked so glowy..my hand to god I cannot make this up! I was floored!!!
This really is a great foundation..and it's kind of deceptive because it comes in a tube which I thought would be soooooooooooooooooo thick and cakey..You don't need much and when blended with the brush really gives mature skin a nice glow.
PS--this may be a bit off-topic but for my older women MUA friends--I prep my face with an SPF 30 moisturizer, then I use Lancôme Genefique serum..then I wait till it dries and use Smashbox primer..then I wait till it sets in and apply the foundation.
I may have found my HG of foundations but you never know *shrugs*--the darn skin changes so much!
Anyway, this definitely deserves the five lipstick rating--I highly recommend it for more mature skin--and don't forget to purchase the brush as well.
Thank you for reading my review and happy beauty to you!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/30/2014 9:35:00 AM More reviews by SweetestCandy404

Kinda expensive

rated 3 of 5 on 3/29/2014 12:45:00 AM More reviews by jennaryan10

I really liked this product in store (Sephora) especially since the lady at the store said it would add moisture to dry spots and dry out oily spots. So I needed a new foundation and bought it. It was a bit pricey at 49$ but if it was going to work that's alright. I bought it and when I got home I realized it was clinging to my dry spots and making them look worse than they were. I tried it with 2 different primers;
1. may have been the primer but the foundation looked like flakes all over my face. I had to wash it off and start over.
2. it felt like it never dried, which is weird since it dried out my face so much.
I have had this product for a week and tried every way I could think of to make it apply nicer and it just doesn't work for me. I think it's going to be returned.