July 28, 2014 | 2082 users online

Hair Treatments - John Frieda - Go Blonder Lightening Spray

rated 3 of 5 on 6/27/2012 12:14:00 PM More reviews by Brittany82487

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I thought this product didnt really do much to lighten my hair. I have strawberry blonde hair naturally, but darkens in the winter. I wanted something for summer that would brighten and lighten my hair. It has a yucky smell and really dried out my hair.

Honestly, i would reccommend Sun In. Its been around forever, but this product works better for me. You can use it by sitting out in the sun, or spray it all over your hair before blow drying and after a few uses, your hair will be noticeably lighter. Plus, it was a wonderful beachy, tropical smell. My hair doesnt feel as fried after i use it.

However, as many of you probably know, these products will only work if you already have some varying shade of blonde hair. Those with medium to dark brown hair...the results probably wont turn out that good.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/7/2012 6:55:00 PM More reviews by gundieb

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

My hair is naturally really fine, blond, straight and long so they tend to tangle a lot. And when I say a lot I mean if I don't brush them every few hours they turn into a one massive dreadlock.
Yes, my hair is blonde but not as light as I want them to be. That is always the case, its never good as it is.
So I decided to try Go Blonder spray. I read lots of bad reviews so I wanted to be very careful so I said to myself i will only use it once a week so hair can "rehab".

1. I washed and conditioned my hair as usual.
2. I put rich cream on my forehead, ears, on my neck before using spray. As I read in some reviews girls got reaction on their skin. I checked my skin on head and neck after first time. It appears healthy.
3. I decided my hair in sections and sprayed 2-3 times each section. Then I combed hair together and massaged spray in hair. I left out the ends.
4. I did blow-dry and straightened after spray (which I normally don't do anymore)
Results were noticeable straight away. They were lighter.

I wash my hair every other day so for next few times I did deep treatment at home. I use hair oil before washing, then moisturising masque for good 10mins, which I rinse with cold water. Not pleasant I know but its better for hair. Then I spray in conditioner and few drops of hair oil afterwards. I let the hair dry naturally.

I noticed some frizz after 4 time so I leave this section out as its in the very front. After deep conditioning you can't see it anymore. I will use bottle till the end but then will stop as its summer and my hair will get lighter by itself.

Packaging is very comfy to use and size is good too, I think one is enough, then you need to take a break. Price is ok, when you compare to a hairdressers visit, altho a bit expensive when you are a student, like me.

I think it is a good product but you need to be very careful and I would suggest it to try on a small section first, see if your skin does not get allergy and hair is ok. If it seems ok, I still suggest not to use it every time and do deep conditioning.

Thanks,
Gundie
x

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2012 7:51:00 AM More reviews by Blonehairfabulous

I liked this product. I have light brown hair and it used to be blonde and I wanted it to be blonde again. When I found this I was very happy, it sounded very good. I hoped it would work. After 2 uses lots of people noticed my hair was alot blonder! I continued to use it. Then my hair got very brassy and had yellowy orange tones. I was not happy.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2012 5:07:00 AM More reviews by charlies04

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

John Frieda is like the willy wonka of hair products, coming out with weird and wonderful things. This one works by spraying it on and letting the heat from your blowdry or straighteners do the magic. This product is really only for blondish hair. I have naturally light brown hair that I bleach dye blonde every four-five months. So I get a lot of roots showing through between touch-ups. I used this product during the two weeks prior to bleaching my roots and yes it did lighten my hair quite considerably but yes it did also give me that orange tinge. I've used these type products before, and I've never found a way of escaping the initial orange effect. I then dyed my roots using my usual bleaching product and my hair went blonde much easier and, unlike other reviews below, this did not cause any excessive damage to my hair, though I do naturally have extremely oily greasy hair (in fact I dye it to make the oiliness much more managable). By using the Go Blonder shampoo, conditioner and being out in the sun really helps to let the colour simmer down to a natural looking blonde. This product is not perfect, and is really only a way of saving money by not going to the Saloon and having it done professionally. This is also for people who have more time than money, cos this really does take some work. This product is probably best used after bleach dying hair because it could help erradicate the orange tinge by lightening it more to blonde.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/16/2012 4:54:00 PM More reviews by dylandisaster

Yes, it dries out your hair. Yes, it has harsh chemicals in it. Get overit. You want lighter hair? This is what you have to deal with.
Anywhoo, my hair is naturally dark-ish brown, but it takes color very easily and i've had it dyed blonde for about twoo years :D and i love it, though the constant root jobs (my hair grows ultra fast) so i tired this lastt year. i really like it. it dries your hair out if you blow dry it, but i put it in right before i straighten and it dries my hair slightly, but it gives such natural looking highlights! people actually ask if my hair's naturally blonde! haa. they must not notice my eyebrows. i use Mane n Tail conditioner with either Garnier Body Boost, Biomega Moisture, the biolage anti snap (i think that's what it's called......), or herbal essences color me happy, and my hair feels fine. and i don't really use that much product!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 5/11/2012 1:14:00 PM More reviews by rosecaroline720

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

If you ever want to bleach/highlight your hair again, DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT. I used it on my dyed mid-brown hair to achieve highlights for a while, after going back and forth between blonde and brown for years. However I recently went to my salon to get my hair highlighted slightly lighter, nothing drastic. They always do a strength test (putting a few strands of hair in strong perm lotion to see if it will hold) before dyeing my hair, as bleaching is damaging, and my hair BUBBLED and pretty much disintegrated in the bowl!! The hairdresser immediately turned to me and said you have been using John Freida Go Lighter spray.

Clearly if the hairdresser knew what product I had used before me even speaking, I am not the first one to have this problem. After a month of scrubbing my hair lengths with deep-cleanser shampoo (which in turn made it drier and break off) they re-tested and I finally have my golden highlights, but I wish I had never touched this. I am a dedicated sheer blonde john freida lover but I hope anyone using this range doesnt have the same experience :) x

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/8/2012 4:35:00 PM More reviews by djm88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

I had some bad highlights put in and bought this product to try and blend them out and make them less stripy. It worked well! I have long, very thick, dirty/dark blonde hair and the colour lift is good on with this product, and much easier than using bleach. Yes it does dry out your hair a bit but ofc it will it's lightening! Just use a good deep conditioner next time you wash and it's fine. I use it once a week not every wash, and blow dry and straighten my hair which does help the lightening effect. It says the max lightening will be after 5 uses so ill stop then. I'm happy with my brighter looking hair and it's so easy to use!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2012 9:59:00 PM More reviews by boourns

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product left my hair terribly brittle. I wouldn't buy it again for its intended purpose. That said, there is ONE purpose that this product is actually good for: last Spring, I bleached out a panel of hair completely & dyed it pink with Manic Panic dye. I got sick of the upkeep really fast, and tried all kinds of clarifying treatments to help me get all the pink out. Nothing worked. I happened to have my bottle of Go Blonder spray on hand, so I thought I'd try it and see. A few spritzes and five minutes with the hair dryer took the pink dye right out. This also worked for a friend of mine who did hot pink and turquoise streaks on her bleached-blonde hair. So it seems to work well as a "colour corrector" if you've done a temporary dye like Manic Panic and you're over it. But that's the ONLY thing I'd ever recommend trying it for! And even then, be careful! This stuff is harsh.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/14/2012 2:56:00 AM More reviews by Jaimegirl111

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I just purchased this product today and luckily I used it once and only on a few little sections to make "highlights" and then read all these horrible reviews and I can tell how dry those little sections already are so I immediately ran out and purchased a good fortifying shampoo and repairing conditioner and will not by using this lightening product again! No wonder the ingredients are not on the box I read the review where the girl lists the awful chemicals in it! And luckily I was able to return it to rite aid and get my money back!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/27/2012 1:09:00 PM More reviews by Gemzi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I recently bought the John Frieda Hair Lightening Spray. I followed the instructions to a T - perhaps using less heat than advised on the box, and definitely less frequency.

I am naturally Blonde,with very long hair, and like to keep my Blonde light through the winter months. I bought the product and used sparingly, afraid it may dry out my hair with has always been healthy. I only used it on my root's, trying not to get any on other part's of my hair. Perhaps once a week at most. At first i was pleased with the results. Even though i never used my Straightener's as suggested on the box, the product has completely ruined my hair.

I have always had healthy, soft, shiny, straight hair. Now, from just below my roots, my hair is frazzled for want of a better word. I'm gutted to put it mildly. It's all crinkly, tight crimping type effect and there is now way to cut it out as i would have to shave my head to do so.

I have not over used this product at all, yet my hair is ruined and i have no idea how to fix it..or how much it will cost me.

I am afraid to Blow dry my hair that is very long and needs it. I dare not touch it with Straighteners as i am seriously worried my hair will drop off.

My job means i am in spotlight when working, and feel devastated that my hair is in such a state as it's my trade mark look.

Can anyone recommend anything i can use to try and treat my ruined hair?

::: UPDATE :::

I emailed John Frieda customer care last night upset, naturally. 9am, i had a phone call from them. Very helpful. They are now sending me a repair kit, and gave me instruction's on how to treat my hair until it's repaired. I feel lucky after reading about people's hair dropping off, that mine is just so bad - but as of yet, touch wood, not dropping out.
The lady was very helpful, and i will let you guys know how the Hair Repair Kit works out. It can not come soon enough. I am a DJ who is finally warming up for my idol James Zabiela next weekend - with Vestax a huge brand who have sent me a Controller to use, coming to see me. Lot's of photo's ...let's hope this stuff works.