September 16, 2014 | 2133 users online

Hair Treatments - John Frieda - Go Blonder Lightening Spray

rated 1 of 5 on 7/20/2012 12:57:00 PM More reviews by JessicaLynnBull

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

DO NOT BUY THIS. Oh my gosh. I'm very skilled with bleaching and dying my hair, i had been bleach blonde for about three months and i have very hard watter that makes your hair brassy- so i thought lets use this John Frieda product.... At first it was great, kept my color but i noticed it dried my hair alot. I thought it was just the summer time. Well i kept using it for 3 months and one day i just really studied my hair in the mirror and i had noticed my hair had broken off majorly... like, my hair used to be past my boobs and after using this product it was just barley past my shoulders. IT SUCKSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/17/2012 10:25:00 AM More reviews by Caro24

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

PLEASE BE WARNED, DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am natural honey blonde, but last year I wanted to go a bit lighter for the summer and I came across this product thinking it would be a great, cheap way of creating some lighter tones in my hair. I REALLY REGRET USING IT NOW! My healthy, thick, long hair, became very dry, tangly and fried after a few uses with this product. I also began noticing some hair breakage especially around my face were I used the product the most. The spray also made my hair turn an extremely unnatural yellow colour which I hated, so I decided to stop using it and thank god, before I had lasting damage. I got my hair done at an excellent professional hair salon, which I have been going to for the past year and now my hair is in great condition again and my colour is back to a lovely honey blonde colour again. I strongly recommend spending the money on going to a professional hairdresser if you want to colour your hair, after all, your hair is your crowning glory. Lightening sprays and box dyes may be cheap, but they cause extreme damage that may be irrepairable.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/10/2012 10:11:00 PM More reviews by Ainslee

I have dark brown hair that I dye/bleach blonde. I was hoping between touch ups that this would help but it doesn't :\ I know the packaging says only for natural blondes but I wanted to give it a try. It was expensive and only made my roots a brassy-orange colour rather than blonde. It also contains hydrogen peroxide so I'm sure it was damaging to my hair.. Plus it says that you have to use it with heat for it to work. I like to air dry my hair so this just made me use more heat on my hair!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/6/2012 4:44:00 AM More reviews by annia316

I can only second what rosecaronline720 wrote: IF YOU ARE BLEACHED/HAVE HIGHLIGHTS, DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT!!! I loved the idea of this product. I do color my hair as I am not a natural blond. Therefore I visit my hairdresser monthly. So I got this spray and thought it would help my lighten my roots. In fact it did ruin parts of my hair. My hairdresser told me the parts I used the spray on are like hair-gum now. Thanks John Frieda for ruining my hair. Not recommend this spray at all. So does my hairdresser.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/27/2012 12:14:00 PM More reviews by Brittany82487

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I thought this product didnt really do much to lighten my hair. I have strawberry blonde hair naturally, but darkens in the winter. I wanted something for summer that would brighten and lighten my hair. It has a yucky smell and really dried out my hair.

Honestly, i would reccommend Sun In. Its been around forever, but this product works better for me. You can use it by sitting out in the sun, or spray it all over your hair before blow drying and after a few uses, your hair will be noticeably lighter. Plus, it was a wonderful beachy, tropical smell. My hair doesnt feel as fried after i use it.

However, as many of you probably know, these products will only work if you already have some varying shade of blonde hair. Those with medium to dark brown hair...the results probably wont turn out that good.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/7/2012 6:55:00 PM More reviews by gundieb

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

My hair is naturally really fine, blond, straight and long so they tend to tangle a lot. And when I say a lot I mean if I don't brush them every few hours they turn into a one massive dreadlock.
Yes, my hair is blonde but not as light as I want them to be. That is always the case, its never good as it is.
So I decided to try Go Blonder spray. I read lots of bad reviews so I wanted to be very careful so I said to myself i will only use it once a week so hair can "rehab".

1. I washed and conditioned my hair as usual.
2. I put rich cream on my forehead, ears, on my neck before using spray. As I read in some reviews girls got reaction on their skin. I checked my skin on head and neck after first time. It appears healthy.
3. I decided my hair in sections and sprayed 2-3 times each section. Then I combed hair together and massaged spray in hair. I left out the ends.
4. I did blow-dry and straightened after spray (which I normally don't do anymore)
Results were noticeable straight away. They were lighter.

I wash my hair every other day so for next few times I did deep treatment at home. I use hair oil before washing, then moisturising masque for good 10mins, which I rinse with cold water. Not pleasant I know but its better for hair. Then I spray in conditioner and few drops of hair oil afterwards. I let the hair dry naturally.

I noticed some frizz after 4 time so I leave this section out as its in the very front. After deep conditioning you can't see it anymore. I will use bottle till the end but then will stop as its summer and my hair will get lighter by itself.

Packaging is very comfy to use and size is good too, I think one is enough, then you need to take a break. Price is ok, when you compare to a hairdressers visit, altho a bit expensive when you are a student, like me.

I think it is a good product but you need to be very careful and I would suggest it to try on a small section first, see if your skin does not get allergy and hair is ok. If it seems ok, I still suggest not to use it every time and do deep conditioning.

Thanks,
Gundie
x

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2012 7:51:00 AM More reviews by Blonehairfabulous

I liked this product. I have light brown hair and it used to be blonde and I wanted it to be blonde again. When I found this I was very happy, it sounded very good. I hoped it would work. After 2 uses lots of people noticed my hair was alot blonder! I continued to use it. Then my hair got very brassy and had yellowy orange tones. I was not happy.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2012 5:07:00 AM More reviews by charlies04

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

John Frieda is like the willy wonka of hair products, coming out with weird and wonderful things. This one works by spraying it on and letting the heat from your blowdry or straighteners do the magic. This product is really only for blondish hair. I have naturally light brown hair that I bleach dye blonde every four-five months. So I get a lot of roots showing through between touch-ups. I used this product during the two weeks prior to bleaching my roots and yes it did lighten my hair quite considerably but yes it did also give me that orange tinge. I've used these type products before, and I've never found a way of escaping the initial orange effect. I then dyed my roots using my usual bleaching product and my hair went blonde much easier and, unlike other reviews below, this did not cause any excessive damage to my hair, though I do naturally have extremely oily greasy hair (in fact I dye it to make the oiliness much more managable). By using the Go Blonder shampoo, conditioner and being out in the sun really helps to let the colour simmer down to a natural looking blonde. This product is not perfect, and is really only a way of saving money by not going to the Saloon and having it done professionally. This is also for people who have more time than money, cos this really does take some work. This product is probably best used after bleach dying hair because it could help erradicate the orange tinge by lightening it more to blonde.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/16/2012 4:54:00 PM More reviews by dylandisaster

Yes, it dries out your hair. Yes, it has harsh chemicals in it. Get overit. You want lighter hair? This is what you have to deal with.
Anywhoo, my hair is naturally dark-ish brown, but it takes color very easily and i've had it dyed blonde for about twoo years :D and i love it, though the constant root jobs (my hair grows ultra fast) so i tired this lastt year. i really like it. it dries your hair out if you blow dry it, but i put it in right before i straighten and it dries my hair slightly, but it gives such natural looking highlights! people actually ask if my hair's naturally blonde! haa. they must not notice my eyebrows. i use Mane n Tail conditioner with either Garnier Body Boost, Biomega Moisture, the biolage anti snap (i think that's what it's called......), or herbal essences color me happy, and my hair feels fine. and i don't really use that much product!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 5/11/2012 1:14:00 PM More reviews by rosecaroline720

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

If you ever want to bleach/highlight your hair again, DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT. I used it on my dyed mid-brown hair to achieve highlights for a while, after going back and forth between blonde and brown for years. However I recently went to my salon to get my hair highlighted slightly lighter, nothing drastic. They always do a strength test (putting a few strands of hair in strong perm lotion to see if it will hold) before dyeing my hair, as bleaching is damaging, and my hair BUBBLED and pretty much disintegrated in the bowl!! The hairdresser immediately turned to me and said you have been using John Freida Go Lighter spray.

Clearly if the hairdresser knew what product I had used before me even speaking, I am not the first one to have this problem. After a month of scrubbing my hair lengths with deep-cleanser shampoo (which in turn made it drier and break off) they re-tested and I finally have my golden highlights, but I wish I had never touched this. I am a dedicated sheer blonde john freida lover but I hope anyone using this range doesnt have the same experience :) x

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No