November 24, 2014 | 1977 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - coal face soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 6/13/2011 5:51:00 PM More reviews by SavvyShopper3

Pros: Leaves skin squeaky clean and matte, lathers up well, eliminates oil
Cons: Did not help me with acne yet, can be scratchy

Coalface is one of Lush's two solid facial cleansing bars and works very much like any bar soap. Although I have heard that the shape of this bar is sold in has changed over time, it is currently being sold in a triangular 'thick pizza slice' type piece (not the square block pictured in the product details). The soap is black with really pretty (very discreet) sparkly particles.

Because it seemed like the large piece might be hard to handle and also because I did not want to moisten the entire bar right away (making it susceptible bacteria), I cut off small manueverable pieces that I can use. The soap cuts very easily with a sharp knife without making a mess of shavings falling out.

I had heard that coalface lasts a very long time but so far I have noticed that I am going through the pieces that I cut off fairly quickly. One of the reasons I had chosen this soap instead of Dark Angels was that it is said to last longer. This makes me wonder how fast people go through Dark Angels!

I was hoping Coalface would help me with acne problems but I have not noticed any improvement after a couple of weeks of use (still hoping though!).

It is however a good cleanser - it leaves my skin squeaky clean but not tight or dry and it gets rid of any make up that I have on. It also does seem to be mattifying so it serves it purpose of helping oily skin.

The little black particles that come up in the lather (I'm assuming they are meant to exfoliate) CAN be irrating and scratcy on sensitive areas. I wouldn't generally recommend this to people with sensitive skin. Although Coalface will not leave your skin extremely dry, you will definitely need to follow it up with a good moisturzier.

Unlike some other black-colored solid soaps I have tried, this soap did not make a mess any more than a regular soap would. The lather created by the soap is more or less white (with maybe a very slight grey-ish tint) and it does not seem to stain.

The fragerance is pleasant not sweet or fruity at all like some of Lush's other products.

I see this as a good addition to Lush's new "Dirty" line for men because of the black color and the fragerance (reminds me somewhat of men's deoderants and colognes).

In my search for a good acne-fighting cleanser, I will be trying Dark Angels and Herbalism (which I have heard can be really good for acne prone skin!) and post back here about my (hopefully good!) experiences with those. I will continue to use this as a basic night time cleanser as it does a pretty good job of removing all my make up. And it also fully cleans and preps my skin for my nightly serum and moisturizer regimine (plus any acne spot treatment I might be using).

Bottom Line: This is a good basic facial cleanser. Not great but pretty good. I would recommend this mainly for people with oily skin. Or as a summer cleanser for people with combo skin (like myself)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2011 3:45:00 AM More reviews by MakeupAddictLa

Good face cleanser. Gently exfoliates my skin and really takes away any excess oil. Definitely a great product for those with oily skin like me but if you have dry skin, you'd probably want to stay away. It can really dry out your skin! It can get a little messy so I keep mine in the shower. Great price and good product!

I highly recommend this to people with oily skin. I can definitely see a difference in the oiliness of my skin after using this.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2011 6:08:00 PM More reviews by sweetyoungthing

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

Coal Face saved my life! I love love love this soap (along with Fresh Farmacy). I have battled acne my entire life and this seems to be the only stuff to help. It works so well that I can get away without wearing make-up, and I've never ever been able to do that.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2011 9:54:00 PM More reviews by pinkfrost52

This didn't work for me as well as I had hoped. I have combination skin, so it's really just my forehead, nose and chin that gets oily. This cleanser dried out my cheeks so I don't think it was the best option. I did notice that it helped absorb oil in those areas and left my skin with a tighter feeling as well. The soap smells like licorice and sandalwood which I didn't like so much. If you have very oily acne-prone skin, this would probably work well for you. I won't buy again since it is too drying for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/27/2011 1:35:00 AM More reviews by gethappi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Coalface is incredible; provided: 1- you lather it up in your hands and do not directly rub the bar on your face. 2- if you plan on keeping this in the bathroom, keep it in a tin. I cut mine up into thin tiny bars. I actually prefer to use this in the shower! The activated charcoal perhaps? 3. moisturizing isn't a bad idea even for the most sensitive skin. I usually use sunblock instead.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2011 10:16:00 PM More reviews by lusciouspreciousluv

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

This is an amazing exfoliator for girls with very oily skin. It's also amazing for fighting acne. It leaves your face and skin squeaky clean. The scent is kind of boring but not offensive. The main ingredient is black licorice extract and this ingredient is well known for brightening as well as exfoliating. I love this soap!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2011 10:46:00 PM More reviews by summerrain1994

I was given a sample of this when I told the sweet LUSH worker that I had only skin. A little goes a long way - she gave me a decent chunk of it and it barely melts in your hands.
It's back which is kind of a turn off, and I'm not too keen on the smell, but it's a decent facial cleanser. It has a rougher texture to it, like little grains against your skin, so you have to be careful. It leaves your skin feeling squeaky clean, though, and smooth.
I can't comment on how it reduces oil because I only use it about once a week.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2011 8:51:00 AM More reviews by pf3855

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

As a 48 year old that still has extremely oily skin this soap has fast become one of my favorite daily routine items for skincare! We don't have a LUSH store in my state and I stumbled across this cleanser in the store in Seattle and am loving it. I love that squeaky clean feel it leaves me with in the evening before i use my nighttime moisturizer, my skin is radiant and glowing and the few little areas of concern I had on my chin are gone! I don't find it too drying for my oily skin and it leaves me clean & radiant. Definite repurchase!! Just wish we had a store here in OKC!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2011 5:39:00 AM More reviews by lovelydiva

I've used it about a week and this become my fav facial cleanser. I have acne prone skin and oily/combo. This cleanser really controls my oil. Some ppl says it's drying..yep..the soap is only for oily skin if you have like dry or dry/combo skin this may not be the one. But for the ppl who suffer oil and break outs, this should be the one for you. It significantly reduced my break outs. I use two times a day. I feel nice, clean and soft everytime after i wash my face. I can see my skin looks more clearer and the skin texture changed. I used Grease Lightning after that. I just simply love this product..

rated 2 of 5 on 2/14/2011 12:44:00 PM More reviews by neonpen

I like the smell of it... I had to keep it in a soap container so it wouldn't melt or ruin the soap. For some reason whenever i use a face wash with "Coal" in it, It gets stuck in my pores and makes them noticeable. I liked it at first but now it's just a regular overpriced soap that makes my pores show.Will not repurchase...